ok since I have zero idea how or if something like this can be implemented so try not to laugh too hard. we have known for a while that you can just make and "invisible" submarine fairly easily but no way to really simulate finding a submerged with sonar. What if you were to add a small radar to the submerged sub that had a pretty short range that could be picked up on a radar warning screen that was set up to simulate a sonar screen? Also it wouldn't be too hard to have the ASW torpedoes setup as radar homing missiles to attack the subs. Does anyone know if something like that would be feasible?

• Like 3

As I am making an ASW heli, I am constantly thinking on it. The game has ASW type mission entries, so PROBABLY TK thought about some sort of future feature.

Your emitting idea is not without sense, perhaps if we can find a specific bandwidth (otherwise out of range of radars, ecms etc) which we can separate as "acoustic" in game... it might work.

We also need bomb and rocket impacts which have sounds and work in water.. or at least "above" it. Ship sinking effect (oil patch) is ok I guess.

SF is definitely not Dangerous Waters (((  

• Like 1

WhiteKnight,. I did that many years ago, and even simulated a submerged Soviet boat with a SAM box mounted on its periscope (they reportedly experimented with SA-7s protected by water-proof enclosures).  While the submerged boats appeared on the RWR (and on radar scopes, as I gave it a .5 meter RCS), AI aircraft in the series back then would often ignore it, as opposed to bombing it.  Things may be different now.

• Like 2

And that brings up the problem of missions... ASW planes will practically perform SEAD missions, and - yea - they may take on big fat surface radars instead. 

UNLESS... we are able to set that specific bandwidth which they can see. The only which we allow them to see on their RWRs...

To emulate MAD, we can always make a short range surface radar with 360 degs.

in theory could be made with having specific ASW-only copies/variants of planes set specifically to use weapons locking onto this our hypothetical bandwidth we'd use as fake sonar implementation. I think doable (not weapons/ecm guy mid you!)

• Like 2

Here,s a thought how about make the sub as a flat object with a dark transparent skin and short disstants veiw ?

A more workable solution, one that takes advantage of features that are built-in to the series, is to model a submarine class that needed to surface to deploy its anti-ship missiles, and served throughout most of the era modeled in SF2NA, such as the Soviet Echo II boats,  Perhaps we can convince White Boy Samurai to try his hand at this

echo2_1.jpg

http://aw1tim.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/cold-war-threats-the-echo-class/

OK I will make some test soon.

3D is not a problem... for weapons we need only a hitbox to hit. 

Surfaced subs, I believe we had some. Stationary objects would be good, too, like subs broken out of the ice + little camp ))))

maybe a semi- transparent skin can be used for a shallow depth sub silhouette.

Edited by Snailman

Surfaced subs, I believe we had some. Stationary objects would be good, too, like subs broken out of the ice + little camp ))))

maybe a semi- transparent skin can be used for a shallow depth sub silhouette.

Surfaced subs that are capable of launching ASMs would be an ideal scenario, which is way I'd like to see an Echo II with its 8 missiles in-game.   Regarding submerged models, I had Kesselbrut build Killerbee and myself a very basic periscope model to simulate a submerged November class submarine quite some time ago (in 2005, to be exact).  You can still find it here, though it needs a lot of updating:  http://combatace.com/topic/14819-november-class-ssn-submerged/

I agree with you, it would be spectacular... or a boomer in the middle of an icefield.

Perhaps it is not too difficult to do... It's just a big cigar))) I'm up to my chin with naval sources. I'll just have to finish the heli first.

Ah, the periscope object... I have it)  I use it to create fake target areas in the middle of sea. It is nicely shown on ground mapping radars. Never wanted to shoot it out yet :biggrin:

Btw. do we have arctic map that is also naval? North cape - Kola peninsula - Spitzbergen? (Another Red Storm Rising playground)

Damn why can't we just merge install Dangerous Waters into SF2 :cry:

Edited by Snailman

Surfaced subs that are capable of launching ASMs would be an ideal scenario, which is way I'd like to see an Echo II with its 8 missiles in-game.   Regarding submerged models, I had Kesselbrut build Killerbee and myself a very basic periscope model to simulate a submerged November class submarine quite some time ago (in 2005, to be exact).  You can still find it here, though it needs a lot of updating:  http://combatace.com/topic/14819-november-class-ssn-submerged/

Fubar, I might be interested in taking a crack at the data file for that November class.

Fubar, I might be interested in taking a crack at the data file for that November class.

Well, I'm a party to the freeware agreement, so by all means, knock yourself out.

You can already mod invisible ie. submerged subs that can fire torps and ASMs. Just remember to make the SHOWMISSILES=FALSE.

I have been pretending that the radar is sonar on ASW helos for awhile. Keeping the torps as ASMs seems to work just fine.

• Like 2

Do we have some kind of ASW already released? will like to try it.

You can already mod invisible ie. submerged subs that can fire torps and ASMs. Just remember to make the SHOWMISSILES=FALSE.

I have been pretending that the radar is sonar on ASW helos for awhile. Keeping the torps as ASMs seems to work just fine.

Yeah till now I did this. There are radars available anyway, there's always place for an extra mode. But I will try the RWR method soon. I have to make the heli flyable first)

Do we have some kind of ASW already released? will like to try it.

Try to modify the SH-3 Seaking, it's an excellent mod, with dipping sonar and MAD animated.

Oh and Roger about Florian's Seaking!

Yes try the ARM method! Please. If anyone really wants to get serious about this and start an ASW SF mod I will help! I have been messing with this for awhile. It just takes and understanding of the games' limitations and some imagination! First thing we need to do is come up with a standard, shooting but physically invisible but yet destroyable target. That target needs to have a good oilslick destroyed ship destroyed effect. I kinda have that using Fake pilot as the LOD in the main data ini. Please advise...................

All you have to do is pretend that your radar is sonar when you go sub hunting.

• Like 1

I bet that JonathanRL would have an interest in this for his Swedish campaigns. lots of Soviet subs sneaking around close to naval bases up his way.

I will love the Ka-25/27 searching for dubs treatening the Kiev battlegroup!

• Like 1