Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Amazon Sales Tax to be Implemented Tennesse and other states

The report mentioned that several states would be implementing sales tax for transactions on Amazon.

I have lots of things to say about this ... but I'll be professional and just give you the link.

Link to the Story

The report mentioned that several states would be implementing sales tax for transactions on Amazon.

I have lots of things to say about this ... but I'll be professional and just give you the link.

Link to the Story

theres no article linked. you linked this thread :)

Amazon has been collecting sales tax for both California and NJ for at least a year.

theres no article linked. you linked this thread :)

Sorry about that fixed

Amazon has been collecting sales tax for both California and NJ for at least a year.

Yeah and I think pretty soon it will be going down all over. I'm okay with this; however if anyone should benefit from the tax it should be the state where the product was sold i.e if someone buys a HOTAS on Amazon from a Vendor in New York and the customer lives in Texas, New York should get the tax and not Texas.

But here is something that I think about. I understand paying taxes gets roads fixed and keeps emergency personnel employed. But transactions on the Wild Wild Web shouldn't be taxed as there is no law and order on here (for the most part) we are all responsible for own security of our online communities and personal property. You can't hit ALT 911 and get a cyber cop to show up and take care of a virus up loader so why the hell should a physical city town or state benefit from the Wild Wild Web. States don't provide free high speed internet and if they did I really wouldn't give a damn about paying taxes for online sales. If they got rid of virus and malware all together I'd donate money on a regular bases to them. 

That's what bothers me. If any state should tax an online sale it should be the state where that particular vendor is located. Or not at all.  I'm going to hush up now.

It's the local companies that (erroneously) believe that if it weren't for sales tax, their sales numbers wouldn't have fallen so much compared to the increase in sales from online-only places.

The states realize that the amount of money brought in by this will be trivial, no matter what they say. The big retailers, though, funded those state officials' campaigns to get them to do this.

I'll be honest, if I see something at Target that's the same price as it is on Amazon, I'm not going to get it on Amazon and wait several days for it to arrive just to avoid paying a couple of bucks in tax. The issue is the local stores often cost MORE and then have tax IN ADDITION. So I'm not just paying tax, I'm paying MORE tax because it's on a higher price! But Best Buy and the others won't acknowledge that.

Couple that with smaller selections for many things, having to stand in lines, dealing with parking, weather, etc, and quite often buying it online becomes more attractive even if it costs the same...especially if I can't get it at all locally!

The only exception is expensive stuff. For 10 years I bought my TVs at Best Buy, including a 46" and two 65" models. The last one I bought 2 years ago, however, I got from Amazon. First, the tax on $2500 isn't chump change to me, although I know it is to the state. Second, I wanted passive 3D (so the glasses are just cheap plastic like you get at the movie theater, not those $100+ battery-powered models the active 3D TVs need which give my wife a headache) and at the time there were no stores locally carrying any passive 3D TVs. So I COULDN'T buy it locally anyway!

I can't believe there are enough of them to run things here, too.