Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Can anyone speak 'Event Log' please?

In my continuing attempts to get my computer to run CFS3/OFF again, prior to installing WOFF (my DVD has arrived - oh, the frustration!) I have been led to the Event Log.

Starting up CFS3 (I  am using CFS3 as the simplest way to run cfs3.exe) i have got the messages below on the log. I have tried deciphering some of them using the internet, and understand that exception code 0xc0000005 is an 'access violation', but I get no search results at all for the fault offset code.

Also, I am not sure of the significance of dbghelp.dll.  it seems to be concerned with debugging, and I am not sure if it is a problem file, or just something that kicks in when there is a problem.

Would anyone be able to deipher these messages and tell me if they explain a particular error?  Then I could try searching for a solution.

Thanks

Wayfarer

Faulting application cfs3.exe, version 3.1.0.30203, time stamp 0x3e3ebe85, faulting module dbghelp.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4791a665, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x7297bd45, process id 0xbe4, application start time 0x01cf094dbfdf9b20.

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-04T13:06:21.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>97605</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Helen-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>cfs3.exe</Data>

<Data>3.1.0.30203</Data>

<Data>3e3ebe85</Data>

<Data>dbghelp.dll_unloaded</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>4791a665</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>7297bd45</Data>

<Data>be4</Data>

<Data>01cf094dbfdf9b20</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

In my continuing attempts to get my computer to run CFS3/OFF again, prior to installing WOFF (my DVD has arrived - oh, the frustration!) I have been led to the Event Log.

Starting up CFS3 (I  am using CFS3 as the simplest way to run cfs3.exe) i have got the messages below on the log. I have tried deciphering some of them using the internet, and understand that exception code 0xc0000005 is an 'access violation', but I get no search results at all for the fault offset code.

Also, I am not sure of the significance of dbghelp.dll.  it seems to be concerned with debugging, and I am not sure if it is a problem file, or just something that kicks in when there is a problem.

Would anyone be able to deipher these messages and tell me if they explain a particular error?  Then I could try searching for a solution.

Thanks

Wayfarer

Faulting application cfs3.exe, version 3.1.0.30203, time stamp 0x3e3ebe85, faulting module dbghelp.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4791a665, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x7297bd45, process id 0xbe4, application start time 0x01cf094dbfdf9b20.

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-04T13:06:21.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>97605</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Helen-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>cfs3.exe</Data>

<Data>3.1.0.30203</Data>

<Data>3e3ebe85</Data>

<Data>dbghelp.dll_unloaded</Data>

<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>4791a665</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>7297bd45</Data>

<Data>be4</Data>

<Data>01cf094dbfdf9b20</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Wayfarer;

Can you answer a few ?'s as I'm not clear about your message.

I take it you were running CFS3/OFF before successfully, so did you do a re-install or something?

Have you specified "Run as administrator" in the properties for CFS3? This might explain the access violation. (just a hunch).

Thanks RJW.  Yes I had been running CFS3 and OFF successfully for several years.  Upon encountering problems with both of them (as detailed in other posts - OFF would go as far as 'Go to field' then crash, CFS3 would crash immedeately after the splash screen came up) I have tried reinstalling both but to no avail.  I have also specified run as administrator for both.

I get the idea that 'access violation' in this case refers to a particular section of memory somewhere in the computer.

Edited by Wayfarer

Thanks RJW.  Yes I had been running CFS3 and OFF successfully for several years.  Upon encountering problems with both of them (as detailed in other posts - OFF would go as far as 'Go to field' then crash, CFS3 would crash immedeately after the splash screen came up) I have tried reinstalling both but to no avail.  I have also specified run as administrator for both.

I get the idea that 'access violation' in this case refers to a particular section of memory somewhere in the computer.

I probably can't help you with this, but If you have made any hardware or software changes since it last ran successfully, you might want to look into that as the possible problem. It would help to identify anyghing of this nature for anyone who may be able to help you on this. Since you mention it may be memory related, try running a memory integrity check on your system

Edited by rjw

Thanks RJW, we're still racking our brains to think what we have installed or uninstalled over the intervening period.

Typhoon, thanks, I'll try that.  Best wishes for your next consultation.