Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

2018 F-35 distribution

The US might have a few more than the rest of the world by then......................

F-35 in 2018.JPG

Than comes a MiG-21 from behind .... the F-35`s blind spot and hugs it to death!

by the numbers it would be a 50% loss for Australia! Lucky nation  :biggrin:

• Like 1

what about Israeli Lightnings? :(

I would not be surprised if Norway and Italy would retreat from F-35 project. Danmark had done this step already.

by the numbers it would be a 50% loss for Australia! Lucky nation  :biggrin:

It's not bad, considering we were promised 16 by 2012 @ less than $100 mil/plane when we signed, hence the RAAF (really, the MoD and the Howard Govt.) retiring the F-111 by 2010. Except now they'll be (approx) $225/plane, we start getting them in numbers by 2020 and there won't be any on Australian soil until then or thereafter, but definitely not before. This is what happens when your government to far too chummy with old mates who work as lobbyists for huge defence contractors and convince your intellectually challenged Air Chief Marshal (Angus Houston) and know-nothing government that a tender isn't needed. Because stealth.

• Like 1

Until you pay the bill, don't buy into the numbers. To this day, the press reports that the B-2 costs anywhere from $500m to $4 BILLION per plane, all depending on who's doing the counting.

For comparison, at the end of its run the F-22 cost $141m USD to build each, yet press reports NEVER give numbers that low.

Until you pay the bill, don't buy into the numbers. To this day, the press reports that the B-2 costs anywhere from $500m to $4 BILLION per plane, all depending on who's doing the counting.

For comparison, at the end of its run the F-22 cost $141m USD to build each, yet press reports NEVER give numbers that low.

Absolutely - the figures are always ambiguous - never clear what it actually represents, and the amount always portrayed depending on the argument of the author. You rarely see economies of scale taken into consideration either.

I would not be surprised if Norway and Italy would retreat from F-35 project. Danmark had done this step already.

Has anything official been stated by either to that effect?

Danmark operated 77 F-16s in the 80th and is now down to ~ 30 planes. Replacement is needed in 2020 - 25.

In 2002 it entered the F-35 programm and planned to buy 48 planes.

2010  the F-35 project was cancelled and in 2013 a new competition is started. Competitors are F-18E, Gripen, Eurofighter Typhoon and Rafale. The F-35 could also enter this competition, but it is much to expensive.

If i take a look on Danmarks financial situation i would bet on the Gripen.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

If you look to Italy, then you will realize very fast, that this country has enormous financial problems. Its one of the Euro PIGS states (Portugal, Italy, Greek, Spain), which are all in a very difficult economical and finiancial situation. I would not be surprised if Italy would retreat from high expensive F-35 program.

Norway is an other thing. They have money enough. But who know.

Finnmecanica have an active interest in F-35 - so I couldn't see them pulling out .

http://www.finmeccanica.com/en/-/finmeccanica-alenia-aermacchi-contratto

http://www.finmeccanica.com/en/-/f35

When the politicos say there is no money - it means there is no money to give to the general public - not for anything they deem politically significant  :biggrin:

It's not bad, considering we were promised 16 by 2012 @ less than $100 mil/plane when we signed, hence the RAAF (really, the MoD and the Howard Govt.) retiring the F-111 by 2010. Except now they'll be (approx) $225/plane, we start getting them in numbers by 2020 and there won't be any on Australian soil until then or thereafter, but definitely not before. This is what happens when your government to far too chummy with old mates who work as lobbyists for huge defence contractors and convince your intellectually challenged Air Chief Marshal (Angus Houston) and know-nothing government that a tender isn't needed. Because stealth.

Saw this being discussed on f16 and thought of you 

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/rates/fy2014/2014_f_h.pdf

apparently hourly rate for fixed wing jets - so here's a few from the DOD - 

F-35A  $17,148

A-10C  $7,329 

F-16C  $8,982 

FA-18E $10,873

F-15E  $20,094 

F-22A  $21,464

I would have thought the F-35A would have had a similar cost to the F-15E as they are of similar size - but I guess the F-15E is much higher thrust and burns more jet fuel.