Sign in to follow this  
Rends

Soviet counterpart of a A-10?

Did the Soviets have a counterpart of a A10?

If so do we have it as flyable addon aircraft?

Su-25 or the Su-25T ...  You can find a Su-25 it in the excellent "NATO Fighters" large mod.

You can also look for the SU-39 in the download sections.

To be fair, the Su-25 was a contemporary, but it's not exactly the same. You won't be tearing up tanks with the Frogfoot's cannon like the A-10 can. The A-10 was built as a tank killer that can also do CAS.

The Su-25, like the A-9 that lost to the A-10, was built for CAS and can also defeat tanks using AT missiles.

The last time the USSR had a plane like the A-10 really was the large-caliber cannon equipped Il-2s!

You won't be tearing up tanks with the Frogfoot's cannon like the A-10 can. 

Not quite sure about that, the GSh-30 on the Su-25 can also fire DU AP rounds, so while it most certainly is not as effective as GAU-8 which was practically designed for that exact purpose I wouldn't bet it can harm the tanks like the A-10...

Of course the GAU-8 is superior, but I'm sure the GSh-2-30 (or the 6-30 on MiG-27) can do a similar job. Add to that starting with Su-25T there is the Vikhr ATGMs + other AGMs with day and night vision. The design concept however was in fact different thats true.

Edit

GAU-8 has a penetration of 69 at 500m, 38 at 1000...  I guess with uranium shells. The GSh series bullets has very few AP data available... When fired from a different gun, penetration may vary. What I found is an AP of 25mm/1000m with regular AP tracer and 32mm with tungsten core.

About ROF, 3900 vs 3000  (or 4600+ in case of Gsh-6-30) also not a big difference.

The A-10's big advantage is the high ammo capacity for it's gun

With a plane like the A-10 or Su-25 you always shoot from above on the roof of a tank. And the roof armour of all available tank types is weak. Around 30 to 50 mm on turret top, much less on engine top. You can easily penetrate it.

I love how people will disagree with me so they can say they agree with me.

Soviet counterpart of A-10? None as far as I know, Soviets never attached lift&control surfaces to a cannon :wink:

Seriously yeah 25 variants. Il-102 would too if it ever saw the light of the day

The last time the USSR had a plane like the A-10 really was the large-caliber cannon equipped Il-2s Il-10s!

fixed for you!

. Il-102 would too if it ever saw the light of the day!

The 102 should have used the same cannon as the 25 IIRC, what would have made it a better tank hunter? BTW the soviets did the soviets had something similar to the Gau-8??

Like snailman said, the Gsh-6-30 was pretty close

If wikipedia is to be believed, it's quite the beast

The GSh-6-30, designed in the early 1970s and entering service in 1975, has a six barrel design that is similar to the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23. It was based on the naval AO-18 used in the AK-630 system. Unlike most modern American rotary cannons, it is gas-operated rather than electric, allowing it to "spin up" to maximum rate of fire more quickly, allowing more rounds to be placed on target in a short-duration burst. This makes the weapon advantageous in dogfights, where pilots often have a very small window for engaging the enemy. Ignition is electrical, as with the smaller GSh-6-23.

On the Mikoyan MiG-27 the Gsh-6-30 had to be mounted obliquely to absorb recoil (5,500 kg). The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The weapons also dealt extensive collateral damage, as the sheer numbers of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft flying within a 200 meter radius from the impact epicenter, including the aircraft firing.

The principal application for the GSh-6-30 is the MiG-27 "Flogger", which carries the weapon in a gondola under the fuselage, primarily for strafing and ground attack. It was fitted to some Su-25TM aircraft, but subsequently replaced with the GSh-30-2 twin-barreled cannon of the original Su-25. It is also used as the gun component of the CADS-N-1 Kashtan air defense weapon.

• Like 1

The 102 should have used the same cannon as the 25 IIRC, what would have made it a better tank hunter? BTW the soviets did the soviets had something similar to the Gau-8??

I'n not sure about the Il-102. its more like a mock up project.

About cannon, see GSh-6-30  (Similar of AK-630 system mounted on soviet warships from 1968)   It was developed from the GSh-6-23  23mm Gatling gun which had a ROF of 10000 (!!!).

Another note, soviet multi barreled guns were not electric but gas blow-back type. This means they had much faster spin-up time and were usable without electricity

Edit. thx Centurion)) 

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/vokinburt/13300152/644377/644377_original.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425335_465535930197958_546719148_n.jpg

1. ГШ-7.62 - Ка-29

2. ГШ-6-23 - МиГ-31 и Су-24

3. ГШ-6-30 - МиГ-27

4. ГШ-6-30K - АК-630

5. 2A7 - Шилка

6. 2A42 - БМП-2 и Ка-50

7. 2A38M - Тунгуска, Панцирь

8. 2A72 - БМП-3 и БТР-80А

9. ГШ-30-1 - Су-27 и МиГ-29

Edited by Snailman

fixed for you!

Hmmm are you sure IL-10 had the NS-37 variant like IL-2 Type 3M?

I think I will try the Mig-27 canon against some tanks :biggrin:

• Like 2

Adding on the Centurion-1's entry I found out about this line on the Wikipedia, the opinion of the Soviet test pilot V. N. Kondaurov. He described the first firing of the GSh-6-30А:

"As I imposed the central mark on the air target and pressed the trigger to shoot, I heard such noise that I involuntarily drew my hand aside. The whole plane began to vibrate from the shooting and had almost stopped from the strong recoil of the gun. The pilotless target, which was just making a turn ahead of me, was literally disintegrating into pieces. I have hardly come to my senses from unexpectedness and admiration: This is a calibre! Such a beast! If you hit something — it will not be little [damaged]"

I'n not sure about the Il-102. its more like a mock up project.

About this- the Il-102 came a little closer to being a production aircraft than that, mate :biggrin: :

:crazy:

Edited by Serbiansaber1
  • Like 1

Message received by Il from Su: "thanks for making our Grach look lovely in comparison!"