Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Getting back into CFS

I loved CFS2 and since one of the guys I work with has CFS3, I picked up a copy off Amazon to try.

I'll be running it on Win 7, so I ask where do I start? Patches? Mods? etc? Can it be ran over M/P? Specifically Hamachi.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Start with the politically incorrect - what CA is to SF1/2, Sim Outhouse is to CFS. That's where the knowledge and the downloads are.

Anyway - have you patched to 3.1a? If not, you need to get them, but as the official MS site has closed... Send me a PM with your email address and I'll mail you them tomorrow. Don't install a single mod or addon until you've patched and installed the mission builder.

Found this - may be worth trying:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3867947

Then you need to download MAW - that's the Mediterranean Air War addon. It creates a whole new scenario with lots of aircraft, etc, etc. All vastly better than the original stuff. 

http://www.mrjmaint.com/MAW1.31/

Next comes ETO and PTO - again, a similar idea. ETO reworks the North-West Europe area completely, and PTO adds the Pacific Theatre. CFS3 is unlike CFS2 in that the 'world' does not exist, and the theatres are separate, not connected. 

SimOuthouse seems to be down at the moment, but when it's up again - certainly not long - come and see in the CFS3 forum, and we'll give you all the help and advice you need. 

ETO and PTO downloads here:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/10-eto-pto-sim-outhouse/

Just to keep your interest up, I've been working on these: 

Blenheim_33_a_zps895ef82e.jpg

Blenheim_H2_zps089dfd31.jpg

1000_BL-200_zps4616e1ec.jpg

Just to give you a bit of an idea!

I absolutely love MAW and have managed to port some aircraft over to regular ol' CFS3. (Flying Lysander missions in Europe is a hoot.)

CFS3 gets a lot of grief and I will admit I had to wait until I got a better rig to really run it well but overall it is one of my favorite sims. I picked up some good Firepower payware add-ons as well.

What I missed most was being able to fight in FSX. While CFS3 compares more to FS9, at least my rig can run it well.

PM inbound. Thanks for the replies.

-Jeff

How's CFS3 compare to IL-2 1946?  I loved CFS1 and CFS2, but skipped CFS3 and got into IL-2 instead...

CFS3's strengths were in different areas. It was easily moddable, but had inferior graphics abilities (the water isn't transparent but a solid "water" texture for instance). The map of Europe was far larger than any Il-2 map, covering from the UK to Switzerland and France to Germany. The AI was more believable to me, it never pulled stunts I thought impossible. The damage and flight models of the stock planes were poor (almost any hit seemed to go for your control cables first, making you roll like a B-52), but 3rd party planes from modders and paid sources like Firepower were excellent.

I found the dynamic campaign better done than the ones Il-2 generated, too.

Frankly, I think overall CFS3 offered an equivalent experience, less in some areas, more in others, to Il-2, but the community at large seemed to embrace Il-2 and shun CFS3 and it faded away. The leaked screenshots of the unannounced-yet-cancelled CFS4 in the Pacific theater were quite impressive and honestly looked better than Il-2. We could've had a great new WWII sim circa 2006 from MS had they not cut and run. Alas...

IL-2 has a unique collection of aircraft that I have not found for CFS3. I don't fly IL-2 online and tend to stay with ground pounding. Given that I think IL-2 does well. I still prefer to crank up CFS2 for my Pacific action fix.

I am not a graphics snob. I think all three of these sims do just fine for my tastes.

I loved Il-2 as well. The M/P was top-notch. But I quickly tired of the obvious FM tilts toward one country or another.

I dropped off right before the release of IL-2:1946. The Pacific add-on was great, except for the above.

CFS3 certainly does win on the accuracy of the flight dynamics - not the stock stuff, most of which goes straight into the dustbin - but the add-ons. We've recently finished a toatl overhaul of the stock Bf109g-6 and g-10 to produce pretty well all variants of the G and K series, and that includes a number of different engine and boost combinations. A LOT of very detailled work...

Doctor Quest, there really are not that many aircraft from IL-2, what-ifs aside, that don't exist for CFS3... And there are far, far more that do exist in CFS3. 

I agree with ndicki(BTW....MAW.....BRILLIANCE!).Considering the amount of 3rd party addons available for CFS3....I:E:ETO,PTO,MAW....CFS3 can keep you glued to the screen these days!

This is yet another sim I have GB's of mods for and all of which were downloaded for free!

I think both my H/D's are gonna puke mods all over my carpet...........now back to flying for the Luftwaffe!

Got the sim running. Was slightly taken aback by the graphics, but I had to realize it's age. I'm trying to find the best sounds, terrain, etc.

Most disappointing has been the M/P. The thread over at SOH is old, so the attachments don't show anymore that walked one through the setup. Thought IP to IP would  work, but I cant get the game to connect through to the net or the other comp.

-Jeff

Yeah, CFS3 was behind Il-2 as far as the graphics go except for how it portrayed natural metal skinned aircraft. The water was the worst part.

That said, I often toy with the idea of reloading CFS3...and then I realize how little time I have for simming in general and realize it would sit idle.