Hauksbee

My first skin...

Finally took the plunge and finished my first skin.

NEW SKIN_02.jpg

NEW SKIN_01 copy.jpg

NEW SKIN_03 copy.jpg

Beautiful, Hauksbee! Or maybe rather: threatening! (Jasta 19 ?)

Beautiful, Hauksbee! Or maybe rather: threatening! (Jasta 19 ?)

No particular Jasta in mind; just hornets or yellow-jackets.

Well, the Jasta often made their unit recognisable by the colours on the tailplane.

Jasta 28w had a yellow tailplane with two longitudinal black stripes.

Your taiplane looks close to Jasta 19's.

If I saw that bearing down on me id be screaming for my mum  :biggrin: ,i agree with Olham...beautiful but bloody frightening,very nice Hauksbee

Thanks, lads. Let's all to the BOC mess. I'm buying.

Great idea - I'll have three pints of their best bitter!drinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

Excellent skin - look forward to seeing more.

When I was a smoker, one Summer's evening outside a pub I successfully swatted a wasp with a Camel. Looks like I may need to do so again!

Great skin Hauksbee. Mind you, if you added the silhouette of a Hawk on the side you'd have the name pun complete.

When I was a smoker, one Summer's evening outside a pub I successfully swatted a wasp with a Camel. Looks like I may need to do so again!

Great skin Hauksbee. Mind you, if you added the silhouette of a Hawk on the side you'd have the name pun complete.

As to your second sentence, good thinking, I'll have to work out a hawk graphic. As to your first, I'll just have to watch my six.

Very astute Dej!! I like it!

Nice skin Hauksbee!!

Good looking kite Hauksbee, quite historically believable.  My only two suggestions would be to turn the contrast down slightly on the yellow, and center the stripes on the elevator and horizontal stab.

...and center the stripes on the elevator and horizontal stab.

Yes, that occurred to me too.

Here's my first (rudimentary) film done in RoF. I took the Dr.1 out for a walk to test the oil-free windscreen mod. It seems to work just fine. That's what all the gyrations are about. It's been a week of 'firsts'. First flights with the new skin, first time recording a mission, first time editing and adjusting camera angles, had to install JSGME (turned out to be much simpler than I feared) not exactly the first time using Vegas Movie Maker, but it's been a long, long time so it's almost a first, (sort of a re-first) had to register/buy my copy of FRAPS, and go through setting up a Google+/YouTube account. A lot of details. RAF_Lou, and one other on RoF suggested toning down the yellow. At first I was amenable, but after watching this, I think I'll let it stand. If the point of these 'Flying Circus' paint schemes is to flaunt your presence and provoke an enemy to try his luck, I think the ol' Bumblebee stands out plainly from quite a distance. I'll certainly get my butt handed to me, but they'll know Hauksbee's in town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-RiNa8sSQc&feature=youtu.be

That's in RoF though of course?  Probably wrong forum for that!

Probably wrong forum for that!

It's a sad truth that, even back in the days when this was the OFF site, there were certain members who would sneak out and have a go in RoF. And other sims. A few were spotted in 1941 flying Cliffs of Dover, albeit in mufti, but we kept it discrete. But OFF doesn't live here anymore. We are the site "formerly known as OFF". I agree that it would be a breach of etiquette to post my video at SimHQ or WOFF. But not here. Now we're just a bunch of guys with a interest in WWI aviation. I continue to hold you in the highest regard. P3 was a revelation and I love it still. That said, I'll leave it to the others here, and see how they feel.

By the by, I feel it would be easy to draft you into the BOC if it would encourage you to drop by more often.

Here I am at 12.20 am and need sleep just not enough hours in the day to keep posting in many forums often and keep working on WOFF so much wish I could.

If you need to post all WW1 stuff and other sims then perhaps the forum name should be changed to "WW1 stuff?"

Edited by Polovski

I've been flying both OFF and ROF at the same time as for me they are not in competition but rather complementary and I have never hidden I did, be it in the OFF forums or the ROF forums. So it wouldn't disturb me at all to talk freely about all WW1 sims in the same forum.( I also fly regularly IL2 1946 , I am running a couple of freight companies in FSX/Air Hauler and making some soaring competition with Condor so I have general interest in virtual aviation )

Must be feeling different for the Devs, who have just released their latest "baby",

(which they've been pregnant with for over four years), than it feels for us?

For me it's a growing playground, with first OFF and RoF, and now the new WOFF

being released (and BoS in development).

OFF and RoF never had much of an overlap for me - they rather complemented

each other to a great WW1 aerodrome (RoF being interesting only for online flying,

but pretty much dead in single player, while OFF has the most immersive single

player campaigns I have ever seen - and so much historical knowledge - and the

best WW1 AI ever - and, and... ).

However - maybe you could try to make the same skin also for your WOFF Fokker Dr.1,

Hauksbee? (Can't give advice there though - never tried to skin a Fokker Dr. 1).

Edited by Olham

Guys, Pol has raised an interesting point. This is no longer the OFF site, but it still says OFF on the page heading. Should we welcome posts about other sims, and if so, should we agree on a name change?

Well,that would certainly be the end of this site as we know it.Better or worse? Who knows?

Let's have your thoughts.

Well,that would certainly be the end of this site as we know it.

The site that we all knew is gone. All that's left is us. Witness Olham's thread, "Keep this Airfield alive and going". My feelings are that if we are restricted to discussions of OFF/WOFF, that is the final nail in the coffin. Nobody's asking those questions here anymore; they go to WOFF. Even I.

Many, if not most of us, fly other sims. I'd like to hear about it, and any other interesting aviation topics. I've started digging into RoF's movie-making capabilities. I hope to expand into CoD in the not too distant future, and, while I've never been much of a gamer (just flight sims) I've been looking at the naval engagements in Assassin's Creed #4, Black Flag. And Hellshade makes interesting 'SkyRim' vids.

Which brings me back to Pol's objections. This is no longer OBD's site, but we are flying their flag. I'd have no objection to re-naming this site. To me, it is simply taking off one hat and donning another. We are the site.

Edited by Hauksbee