Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Viper at 40

Her basic shape is 40 years old, but night and day between the old blocks and the new ones.

Man, I still remember when the F-16 first came online all those years ago. All the model kits that came out in the prototype colors, and the pics of it with the black nose (Block 1).

One of the funniest stories about the F-16 is being a fresh faced 19 year old getting a tour of the (then) GD factory in Fort Worth. And having grown up 2 miles away from MacDill, I knew a lot about the Viper, and most of it's variants, including things like the AFTI and CCV test beds. So it puzzled me why there were several 2 seater F-16s I saw on the assembly line that had 'spines' similar to the AFTI model.

I was told by our annoyed GD representative in no uncertain terms that information on those birds was classified.

I only found out MUCH later that they were F-16D 'Barak' models destined for Israel under the Peace Marble II program and that the extra avionics are still technically classified (though most suspect it is specialized Wild Weasel equipment).

FC

• Like 4

Hard to believe the F-16 is that old.

what a legacy this aircraft has... and still continuing to have!

liked your story FC.. :)

Cheers

While the USAF wants the F-35A to be the next F-16, I have trouble believing they'll ever build enough of them to actually get the same legacy. The F-16, like the F-4 before it, is a plane that started with a very straight forward idea but became a complex, multirole bird doing the jobs no others could.

In fact, the F-16 replaced the F-4 in WW, one of the rare roles it did.

Well had nothing else to do so thought I would piece together the legacy - should be mostly there

F-16-40.JPG

Saw the prototype demonstrated at a KLu Open Day at Gilze Rijen by Neil Anderson (RIP)  in 1979, 35 years ago......

Edited by Derk