While going through my backup drive, I found some old videos (circa 2009) of visual and sound effects that I was working on back then...check'em out:

Heat-shimmer

AB_Heat.wmv

Contrails, and (cheesy) simulated engine flame-out and re-light

Sabre-MiG_FX.wmv

This last one was shot in the old 1:33 aspect, and converted to a 720P wmv, so it will appear distorted.

WoI.wmv

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 2

Two more, from the Summer of 2008:

"Illuminated" tracer rounds:

FX.wmv

3D bow wave (four years before the release of SF2NA)

BowWave.wmv

Any chance of a release? The Heat shimmer looked pretty cool.

Any chance of a release? The Heat shimmer looked pretty cool.

The heat shimmer was created by expanding on an idea that Skatezilla came up with quite a few years ago, and that was of simulating heat bur with "3D bubbles".  While I didn't think that would work, it gave me food for thought...how about rendering animated translucent "smoke rings" of different sizes? Well, it sort of worked from the rear and the side, but when viewed from ahead of the aircraft's centerline, it looked rather tacky. I know I have some images of that effect from various angles, somewhere on my backup drive. As soon as I find them, I'll post them for you.

Todd, Here's a video of what the effect looks like from different angles:

HeatBlurRings

but that never worked as you send me experimental version few years back and all I had was distorted white particles

allways like the tracers though :ok:

but that never worked as you send me experimental version few years back and all I had was distorted white particles

allways like the tracers though :ok:

What are you talking about?

Really like the Sabre / MiG-15 video. A new contrail effect would make a nice addition to the KAW mod. I recall playing around with the stock contrails in SF-1 to increase the length, visibility range and duration but the attempt was only partly successful. The stock contrails seem to spread and dissipate too quickly.