Olham

Keep this Airfield alive and going

Everybody must be quite busy in the early stages of 2014 - there is so little activity

on our beautiful little airfield here.

I hope we will keep it alive - it just requires some takeoffs and landings by all flyers

here every day, to keep the grass short, and the mess alive and kicking.

Come on, pilots, your everyday is surely often grey enough - add some colour to it!

I must say I am a bit confused now that we have two forums.  Most of the activity seems to be over at SimHq now.   But I do sign on to both every day to see what is going on :blink:

My 4 sqn RFC pilot has almost made it to February 1915 with over 20 hours so far.  But no opposition either ....

Agreed. We used to find so many things to talk about. And we could ask each other WOFF questions too. And now that we're no longer the OFF/WOFF site, there are other interesting sims out there.

My 4 sqn RFC pilot has almost made it to February 1915 with over 20 hours so far.  But no opposition either ....

Enjoy the quiet times, Jim - the fokker scourge should be arriving soon!

Agree with you 100 % Olham..lets get some reports and screenshots up,lets get this forum as busy as Sim Hq,s,we can still ask questions here to each other,im sure many of us frequent both forums anyway.

Ive said before this was my first home before purchasing OFF and HITR,i saw videos from Hellshade,Reports from Olham,Raf Louvert,Shiloh,Elephant,Uk Widowmaker,Dej,Capt Sopwith and many others,great times..lets not let this forum fizzle out and disappear guys .I love Combat Ace,s interface,full screen shots etc...Im not knocking Sim hq .i just would have preferred to stay here but thats for another day..we all need to keep it alive chaps  :please: .

As a first step, I have updated the OFF Forum Pilots Maps at last today,

after clearing some of my attachment space (thx for the hint, Eric!).

Sounds good to me. I've just completed a migration of my operating system to a new hard drive, so I'll need to upgrade WOFF over in the next week. Have to do a complete reinstall of everything, so I'm temporarily grounded. But I'll be back in the air soon.

Enjoy the quiet times, Jim - the fokker scourge should be arriving soon!

So how much longer do I have to go?  I'd better get some practice in with the observer and his Lewis gun.  Or will he shoot on my behalf?  What would be the trick - go onto autopilot and then switch seats? 

Arrgh, Javito, I hate such phases; fortunately only had that twice in all the years.

But now I'm thinking of going from 32bit to 64bit - a total new-install too. Arrgh!!!

No idea, who shoots better, Jim.

In OFF, you would pilot the crate better than the AI pilot, to give your gunner

a good field of view and fire on the enemy.

But the WOFF AI is so much improved - you'd have to test it in QC, I guess.

I reinstalled everything on my new PC a few months ago (switching from XP32 to W764), took me a whole week end...  but I'm done for a while !

I thought about it quite a long time before making the jump, but I'm glad I did it... :biggrin:

Once I'm ready, I'll be glad, I suppose. But the 5 - 6 hours before that moment... arrgh!!!

I recently upgraded my CPU to an i7 quad core with new motherboard & 16 Gb of ram. My hard drives didn't recognise any of the new hardware & came up with the "blue screen of Death" so I also had to do a total re-install - it took me over 3 days off & on, to get my system back to as it was before with all the software, hardware etc... i was sooo glad when it was back to normal!! thankfully this was a month before WOFF was released, so at least i was ready for it!

I'm thinking of getting some ssd's to replace my hard drives, but as i have over 2 terabytes of storage, to get the equivalent in ssd's would cost an arm & a leg so I'll wait til the price drops ( a lot) before getting them.

unless, it's a brand new pc being setup - i totally sympathise with people who have to do a re-install... 

Tonyo, you could buy an 80GB SSD drive, on which you run your system and programs.

And keep the other drive for storage. That's what I did. System starts much faster now.

I am by most everyday, but never have been much for a lot of talking.  I enjoy this site as it is here I came after the first move.  I have yet to upgrade my computer so I am still playing WOFF on a loder machine with windows XP Pro 64bit..  It runs but not good enough for screenshots.   I hope everybody visits this site, but most of the people I see on the other are new to me.  Most of the old crowd visits both sites, but this is home.

I'd post more often but I haven't yet got WOFF due to needing a system upgrade first. I'm starting to think that I might buy it and see how it runs first then upgrade what needs upgrading. I do feel more at home here and have made some good friends here too. It would be nice to see this forum full of life once more.

Currently thinking of buying a boat to get around in. If you live in the UK then you know what I mean. The weather's playing havoc with my cycle training.

tranquillo, what system specs do you have right now?

I am running WOFF with this equipment (and it works alright, though 64bit

might be better, with more memory):

CPU: Intel i5 (2500k) at 3,3 GHz

GPU: ATI RADEON HD7870 (2 GB mem)

PSU: 750w

Mem: 4 GB (3.48 useable)

Yeah, I saw what happens in England right now - looks they might have

produced "Das Boot" there without leaving the island...

tranquillo, what system specs do you have right now?

I am running WOFF with this equipment (and it works alright, though 64bit

might be better, with more memory):

CPU: Intel i5 (2500k) at 3,3 GHz

GPU: ATI RADEON HD7870 (2 GB mem)

PSU: 750w

Mem: 4 GB (3.48 useable)

Yeah, I saw what happens in England right now - looks they might have

produced "Das Boot" there without leaving the island...

Hi Olham. I'm running:

Phenom II x 2 550 Black Edition 3.2  I could easily overclock this or even unlock the other 2 cores so not a problem.

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe MB. Good for overclocking so again not a problem.

4GB Buffalo Firestix RAM. Looks like your running it OK with 4GB so probably don't need any more?

GPU: Raedeon HD4830 512mb. Here's problem number 1. It handles OFF brilliantly but is way below spec for WOFF. Thinking of getting a HD7850 or HD7870.

PSU: OCZ Extreme 600w. May need to upgrade depending on power consumption of new GPU.

So, certainly a new graphics card and maybe a PSU. Not cheap. My work still hasn't built up from when I was ill so finances are a bit tight.

Unfortunately when I'm at university I don't have access to my desktop, so I don't really have anything to contribute. Still checking in though...

Currently thinking of buying a boat to get around in. If you live in the UK then you know what I mean. The weather's playing havoc with my cycle training.

I know exactly what you mean, when I was walking in this morning I was having difficulty walking in a straight line it was so windy. And on top of that, the railway I would normally get when I go home has effectively been washed away. And just one final picture that I think sums up everything really well...

enhanced-buzz-wide-31216-1391600433-7.jp

Wow, great picture, Ulti!

tranquillo, I'm not so sure wether you need a new graphic card.

The WOFF graphics are not on a different engine (or how it's called);

it is still like OFF, but with improved landscapes and clouds.

Should work for you, I guess.

Yes, I think I'll try WOFF first. I was thinking of upgrading the card anyway but didn't want the added expense of a new PSU.

Wow, dramatic pic, ulti.

Here's my local pub.

Damn, can't get the picture to load.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519891/Beware-invasion-flood-rats-Homeowners-hit-tidal-surge-told-avoid-contact-water-amid-fears-pest-invasion.html

There, it's the pic of Shipwright Arms.

Edited by tranquillo

Should be a snug little Pub - without the flood water.

First time you'd wish your Pub was dry, I suppose?

Exactly right, Olham. It's stuck out on a limb and only has electricity from a generator - mains electric doesn't reach it - but I like it because of that. And the very unique beer they brew.

You lucky islanders with your many small local breweries -

a beer-trip through England should be fun!

And just one final picture that I think sums up everything really well...

I think it does! When I first saw the picture, the houses were not visible 'til I scrolled down. I thought the waves were pretty damned impressive. Then I scrolled down...they're breathtaking. Great picture.