JonathanRL

DCS Sale on Steam for 48 hours from now.

It sounds interesting, I always buy from ED page, I don't know so much about Steam. Is it compatible? Can I purchase some DLC at Steam to my ED DCS World installation?

For those who wonder about purchasing from other sources than Eagle Dynamics directly, what I have noticed so far is that you only are purchasing an activation key.

I bought A-10C and BS2 from GetGames, and just bought FC3 from Steam.  I downloaded the modules directly from Eagle Dynamics, then activated them with the keys provided by GetGames and Steam.   No muss, no fuss.  GetGames sent me the keys via email, and Steam showed me the key once I put FC3 in my inventory (without installing it there).  And they all played happily together in the native DCS World client.

From what I understand (and I'm not an expert), ED actually gives keys to various retailers from its database, and so when those retailers have a sale, the keys should already be available to activate as soon as you get them.

FC

The only issue right now is using a key for DCS that you did NOT get from Steam on the Steam version of DCS World. I don't know if the databases have been merged yet or not. But any key obtained on Steam or elsewhere is good in the standalone DCS World.

As of today, the data bases seem to have been merged. All my stuff (A10s, P51 and FC3) is now active on steam.

As of today, the data bases seem to have been merged. All my stuff (A10s, P51 and FC3) is now active on steam.

How did you test that if you don't mind me asking?  I haven't installed DCS World under Steam, and right now it only shows the FC3 key.  If I were to install DCS World under Steam, would my other keys show up?

FC

You have to add them, but they will show up. Once you install DCS world through Steam, go to Games, Activate a Product on Steam, then paste the serial number of the module. It will automatically download whatever you have to install. When you start DCS world it will have the button highlighted just like it would in stand alone DCS. You have to do this for each module.

Yeah I did this yesterday. Only problem is BS2 upgrade key won't work, so my DCS World DLC tab only shows my other stuff (although FC3 does show just fine). I'm still using standalone DCSW, but if I ever have to reinstall the Steam version will happen much faster.

Picked up the Huey and P-51 in the sale. Turns out I CAN fly a helicopter!!! Years of MSFS helis and Harriers in SF...