Sign in to follow this  
LucShep

WW2 planes advice/guidance to a begginer(?)

Hello all, my very first post on the forums.  :smile: (bare with the rookie!)

I have SF2, SF2 Vietnam, SF2 Europe, SF2 Israel, expansion pack 1 and 2, and SF2 NA.

I enjoy the game immensely, plus (of course) all the marvellous bits that modders produce out of passion (new planes, cockpits, tiles, sounds/voices, music, etc, etc).

I hope the following doesn't sound dumb (especially to SF2 veteran users/modders) but, you see, even if I get that there's always new stuff coming out all the time, frankly, it's extremely overwhelming for a guy like me that can only go so far, watching individual files upon many dozens of others, for different aspects of the game.  :scratch:

Lately I've been getting the urge for WW2 planes.

I've enjoyed IL2 many years ago (I know there's mods for it), also some experience with Wings Of Prey (good, but lacks substance) but I'm honestly satistified with what SF2 delivers "all around" as platform.

I found out about this particular section of the forums, and got me thinking that, maybe, I'm not alone in thinking about getting SF2 working dedicated solely to WW2 airplanes.

So, if a "WW2 based SF2" is possible, or if it has been achieved, is there any "compreensive guide" to get the game working like that? (new separate installation, or...?) 

What files to get (and delete?) and what exactly is needed?

Is there any comfortable "collective package" (all-in-one kind of thing) installer?

Many thanks in advance! drinks.gif.pagespeed.ce.9olfNKsCP-.gif

• Like 1

welcome, brother!!

We've been playing WW2, in 'stand alone' type installs since at least 2005. Yes, it VERY doable! (as can be seen by the number of WW2 downloads we have)

directly above, in the stickied threads, you'll find the basic guide:

http://combatace.com/topic/74835-creating-the-eratheatre-specific-ww2-install/

now, while not fully up-to-date (I must fix that!), the instructions are fairly easy to follow. The only thing I'd change is using the SF2NA exe to build your (theatre specific) WW2 mods folder from. Now, this is only if you're planning on adding those terrains that now support carrier operations. (Central Pacific types, for instance, and one of the MTO terrains, iirc). If not, then it's advisable to use SF2 or SF2E. V and I may still have some "unique" properties that make the not really suitable for WW2 modding.

But, as you're Full-5 Merged, with Exp 1 & 2, this should not be an issue

First off, you must choose WHERE in the World of WW2 you wish to fly.

Mind you, some of the items are NOT available here are CA. Those, in particular, built by the Dev A-Team (aka, "DAT"). For those you have to sign up at their site, and follow their specific rules.

ask specific questions, and we'll try and answer them!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and (quick) reply, Wrench!  :ty:

......playing WW2 in 'stand alone' type installs of SF2 since at least 2005? ......please, do tell more!

I suppose that others already have explored the same terrain I'm about to cross into then.

That particular sticky thread already answers part of my questions (nice and usefull, thank you!), but still leaves me with plenty. 

You mention the term "total conversion" in that thread, and basically that is what I'm looking for.  

I think I would wish a Europe scenario (thinking Battle of Britain 1940, as loose example for that), but my confusion comes about substituing all the "more modern" assets, I mean, possibly not just the fighters, but also the bombers, wipe any presence of missiles (etc, etc), for a full "propeller-WW2-aircraft" game environment (new missions/campaign for it required?).... it starts to sound like a monumental effort of individual files searching, downloading, fiddling and messing (or is it?). :unsure:

Edited by LucShep

"total conversion" basically what we're doing, but more on a individual folder/file basis.

The game, stock out-of-the-box so to speak, has relatively empty folder (most will only contain the main ini, which has basic property pointers for the engine to look at and 'pull' necessary operating bits from the various cat files). Don't worry about them. In fact, many of the GroundObjects can be left alone, as they have specific start dates, well after 1945.

One of the main tricks, ESPECIALLY for aircraft, is leave one player usable (like a A-4 or F-4), and one non-flyable (aka "AI controlled"), like a MiG-21. A few years back we had some issues with the game engine automaticly repopulating ALL the aircraft back one these 2 weren't there. for some screwy reason.

The real hard part is downloading and install the specific aircraft, vehicles, ships, guns, weapons, etc. For the most part, we have era-specific sets ready for this. Check the SF2 Objects downloads, particully for guns and weapons packs built with WW2 in mind.

It IS a lot of work; no one here has assembled a 'ready to use' theatre or region specific package with all the required pieces.

OTH, the DAT has several; a PTO, MTO and Eastern Front (Russia) . But, they do have restrictions on some things

before getting heavily into the modding, I'd really recommend reading both the SF/Wo* Knowledge Base (what we call 1stGens), and the SF2 Knowledge Base. Plenty of good information that is applicable, and should give you a basic working knowledge of how things is done, and how the game (usually!) works.

Also, explore the folder structures of the 'mods folder' -- it's in your  C:\Users\*-your name here-*\Saved Games\ThirdWire folder. And just play the regular game for week or two, just to get familiar with how things are. It will help in the long run.

and I'm off ... it's 2am and time for bed!

• Like 1

Thanks, Wrench.

I'll be looking into the knowledge base. :smile:

Don't worry, I'm not new to modding and the pain of fiddling with files.

My "vintage" affection to machines and modding for games comes from a project I'm involved with for some years now. (shameless plug... see here)

My only problems are 1) learning a whole new game-engine structure and editing (and big library of community files!) that I know nothing about, and 2) lack of free time and clean head to attack it.

I'll manage it. good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif hehe

PS: I still think that preparing a full working package (w/ instructions) basically made of the latest and best bits for a FS2 WW2 based content, would go a long way for newcomers.

Edited by LucShep

Welcome to the forums Lucshep. You found the right guy to get you up to speed. Any problems just ask.

Hello LucShep!

Playing SF2 WW2... is relly fun. Modders/Skinners create more and more very good WW2 add ons!

Simply, I like SF2 WW2 world.

Welcome,

Coupi.

Hello LucShep! Playing SF2 WW2... is relly fun. Modders/Skinners create more and more very good WW2 add ons! Simply, I like SF2 WW2 world. Welcome, Coupi.

Yes, I get the impression that there aren't that many of us WW2 "Propheads" here, so it's always good to see our ranks grow!

Have fun.

If memory serves me correct kev...there is a ww2 mod that hass all you need to start a basic ww2 scenario...what folders etc to delete..

Ive never had the aircraft being added back to my ww2 installs...odd.