Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

No empty chairs (book)

It looks good, but I can't afford it with the Rand/£ exchange rate at over 18 now. 

I have just read it.  It is not bad, but really in most places is a rehashing of pilot histories.  It does use some letters and other material to add a human touch to the stories.  I have to say I did enjoy reading it.  It does not bring toany fresh insights to history.  It is still a good read IMHO.  I bought it and read it on my kindle so it was fairly cheap.  One thing it does is bring some of Boom Trenchard to life and tells of his struggle to bring the British RAF to life. 

Yes, I read the 'free' pages on amazon and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.  Does anybody know of a good book on the history of (especially) Immelmann, Boelke and Voss.  (MvR has been done to death IMHO).  Has to be in English unfortunately. 

I have read September Evening, it is about Wener Voss.  It covered some of his life and was okay in this.  The book explained that much of his family records were destroyed in WWII.  I found this book to be fair.  The main part of the book is about his last battle against 56 Squadron.  It covers some of his victories, but not much about his relationships with Richtofen or others.  I brought it because like you I have read many books on MVR, but I liked Voss who much like Frank Luke threw all caution to the wind and fought against any odds.  This is the reason they were gone so fast.

Perhaps it was better that he didn't survive the war as he was Jewish - as you have read the book I suppose you know that.  I'll see if I can find the book.  Thanks. 

Yes, I read the 'free' pages on amazon and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.  Does anybody know of a good book on the history of (especially) Immelmann, Boelke and Voss.  (MvR has been done to death IMHO).  Has to be in English unfortunately. 

You might be interested in the book "Knight of Germany" by "professor Johannes Werner"  originally published in German in 1932. Currently published by Casemate.

I purchased it through "The Book Depository" (thebookdepository.com) at the price of $18.85 for hard cover. It's suggested retail price is $29.95 US.

I find the Book Depository usually has good prices for new books.