Wayfarer

I got airborne in WOFF!

I know it's old hat for the rest of you already but, having only got WOFF running in any way yesterday after our computer rejected CFS3 last year, me and my 0.5Gb graphics card took a Morane Saulnier up for a look around at 05:30 today, just after dawn.

It certainly was pretty up there and I even took a quick skip across the lines.  The card chugged along at around 28FPS with everything set at around 3 and it didn't look too bad at all.  I have already realised that, when you are panning quickly around, some of those small darker streaky clouds can look like an aircraft closing in on you when glimpsed for an instant.

I am just trying to decide what graphics card to update to.  I was planning not to try a flight before I upgraded but I ran out of patience.

Only thing is, now it's getting near to running properly, I'm going to have to go back through all those posts that I only half looked at in order to get all the useful tips!

Welcome in the skies, Wayfarer!

I also came a bit later than the rest, and I know how it feels.

You should just try soome higher settings - some people reported, they got

better frps, when they pushed all sliders up.

My personal advice would be, put "Terrain" on "Normal" in "Workshop".

Then try

Aircraft: 5

Terrain Detail: 3

Scenery Detail: 3

Effects Quality: 4-5

Clouds: 5

Maybe it works better - can't promise though.

I've got an ATI 6850 with a 1GB memory running solo (Crossfiring two didn't give me any improvement in OFF so I don't expect any in WOFF...also I read somewhere else that Crossfire and SLI don't double the memory because the two cards are running parallel...don't know how true that is, just wish I'd heard it before I ponied up for the second card) and 16GB of RAM and I'm getting upper 20's on the ground and 45-50 fps in the air with a couple dozen planes and all sliders on 5.

*whew, my high school English teacher would probably fail me with that run-on sentence. But considering she was in her 60's when I was in high school over 40 years ago, I doubt she'll see it.

Thanks guys.  I'll try those graphics settings shortly.

RAM is the other thing I could do with updating as I only have 4GB at present.  I want to upgrade to 8GB but I think that may have to wait a couple of months or so.

My immediate concern is that I have not 'activated' the clean install of VISTA I made on my second hard drive yet. I am loath to connect the drive to the internet at all as I'm paranoid about letting VISTA updates through in error, but I understand it defaults to some kind of skeleton system if you don't activate it in time. 

Got to find our internet installation disc and a curious yellow cable from wherever we safely put it.

And ... I also have problems with long sentences unless I really think about it.

No worry, nothing can be worse than having Vista installed on your PC...  :biggrin:  (except maybe Windows Millenium Edition, but this was a long time ago...)

No worry, nothing can be worse than having Vista installed on your PC...  :biggrin:  (except maybe Windows Millenium Edition, but this was a long time ago...)

Thing is, we got on ok with VISTA generally, although we've never tried anything particularly advanced with it.  It even ran some of the kids' games that had given up with XP.

That's why I was so hurt when it turned on me!

I have managed to get the second hard drive on line and activate the clean install now.  I have the computer case open at present, trying to work out whether an NVIDIA GT640 will actually fit (it's going to have to be something in this price range) - it seems to be rather deep.

The main problem with Vista is that it chomps your memory (which you don't have much of).   Ending sentence in a preposition - hmmmm.  My wife's laptop was using 1.5Gb after boot with no applications loaded!  I formatted the whole thing and installed W7 32 as it was an older machine.  After boot it is using about .7Gb  and seemed much faster generally. 

Yes, I see that our desktop uses around 1.3GB doing nothing but background activities. I was just being cheap (as usual) by loading what we we already have the disk for.  I'm the only one that does anything that warrants upgrading the the thing and was trying to keep down the expense.

My wife and daughters use their laptops/kindles/tablets whatever for just about everything they need.  Makes me feel really old fashioned sitting in front of this massive desktop!

Edited by Wayfarer

My wife and daughters use their laptops/kindles/tablets whatever for just about everything they need.  Makes me feel really old fashioned sitting in front of this massive desktop!

Women generally don't have big gaming needs. Playing The Sims 3 on a laptop is quite possible... They probably don't play hardcore flight sims !  :biggrin: