Sign in to follow this  
Olham

The Quirky Quiz

Outstanding corsaire31, correct on all counts Sir! 

Great, Corsaire - now it's your turn to come up with a quiz-question!

Nungesser's skull, crossbones, coffin and candles are all Masonic in origin.  At least that is what I have read, for I am not a Mason myself.  Of course it isn't very secret if you paint your aircraft with it all. 

Edited by JimAttrill

Well, the Freemasons didn't make a total secret of it all - some of them

were wearing rings or other signs in public with the freemason symbols

on them. You even find their symbols on American dollar notes.

And at WIKIPEDIA you can read about them.

Great, Corsaire - now it's your turn to come up with a quiz-question!

Oh man ! I knew I shouldn't answer, but it was about France, I had to...  :biggrin:

Yes, you had to, indeed!

Well, think about it - maybe you'll find a special little question about WW1 aviation.

OK here we go : One main question and three subsidiaries to separate those who answer easily to the first one.

1/ Main question

This man has built two thirds of the seaplanes used by Allies in WW1. (2870 between Aug.1914 and Nov.1918)

The first offices of his company founded in 1913 were at 29 Charring Cross Road in London

I would like to have the name of the man and the name of the company

quiz22_zps261f985b.jpg

2/ Sub question 1

This is the first plane he designed which could actually fly (1911). Give me the name of the plane

quiz23_zpsf69a73bd.jpg

3/ Sub question 2

His seaplanes were built under licence in the USA and used by the US Coast Guards between 1935 and 1939. What company built them ?

quiz24_zpse8866fa5.jpg

4/ Sub question 3

His first job between 1903 and 1908 was in northern and southern Americas where he learned english and spanish. This is when he heard about the Wright brothers, and it changed the course of his life. 

What was he doing there ?

Jeeze - seaplanes... I hope someone with better knowledge will come in on this...

Jeeze - seaplanes... I hope someone with better knowledge will come in on this...

The pleasure lies in the research...  :biggrin:

Corsaire after MUCH digging around i think ive cracked it...Your man is Louis Schreck (is that spelt correct) is company was the Franco British aviation FBA

The plane that he designed was the Schreck eindecker Diapason II

His seaplanes wer built by the Viking Sea Boat company

And lastly was he selling cars?

I think im pretty sure on everything barring the last answer..if someone else would like a go (if ive got it right) be my guest...cheers Corsaire you,ve burnt my head out  :blowup:   ha ha ..great questions BTW

Edited by Adger

Sounds good to me, Adger - good luck!

But remember: when you win, you will have to put the next question!

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

You're right Adger, you beat me to it. And he was indeed selling cars. Delaunay-Bellevilles. 

Cheers guys..Maeran if you want to start a new question or Questions your more than welcome Pal 

Actually, for that reason I'm glad you got there first.  I have no idea what I'd use.

Congratulations Adger, you are spot on !

On one hand I sent a "false track" by writing his offices where in London ( which is true ) as he was french ! On the other hand I sent a message saying he had learned english and spanish in Americas, which meant he was not from an english speaking country.

Although he was born in the west of France, his father was from Alsace, hence the german name.

You guys even got the right brand of cars he was selling !

The US Company was indeed Viking Flying Boats from New Haven and the picture was taken at the US Coast Guards in Biloxi, Mississipi.

In fact I learned this all a few months ago while reading a special magazine edition on the french airplanes of WW1. It's funny to see this guy and his seaplanes are generally unknown when he built 2870 of them, plus some more produced under licence in Italy between 1914 and 1918...

Bring the next one !

Edited by corsaire31
  • Like 1

For general information, here are two pics of the FBA Type B ( Museum in Portugal who used them)

FBA_typeB_AviaccedilaoNaval_203_zps84dad

FBA_typeB_AN_2_zps7140a612.jpg

And a picture of the "best seller" FBA Type H (  from the Royal Museum of Armed Forces in Belgium )

Equiped with a V12 150 HP Hispano-Suiza it was in 1916 the fastest seaplane and with 150 kmh was  even faster than most scouts of the same time.

Schreck_FBA4_TypeH_zps2ded05cb.jpg

I guess take off and landing on water must have been a bit wet for the crew !

Edited by corsaire31

Fantastic pics,Corsire..they look like canoes with Wings ..give me a few hrs chaps and il come up with a new question(s)

Congrats, Adger! You guys are getting this to a level, that I'm afraid I may not have another

adequate question, when it's my turn again...

1, Ok Guys first of all i want to know who this guy is ?

2.How many victories did he achieve?...what was he flying when he achieved his first victory

3.He was captured by the Germans,what did he escape on?

4.He did something in training more than any other pilot in his nationality..what was it?

5.what was his Nickname?

6.What was he doing on 11th april 1929 that ultimately led to his death

Best of luck chaps..

Cripes - I need a "photo-backwards-search"...

I bet Lou would at least know what uniform that is...

Adger : don't leave the name of the guy as name of the picture...  :biggrin:  Makes it too easy...

This is Edmond Thieffry, first belgian ace with 10 confirmed victories. First one on a Nieuport 11 before his escadrille switched to Nieuport 23.

He was shot down in January 1918 over enemy lines and tried to escape 6 times ( no idea how...) and finished the war as a prisoner.

He had studied law and therefore was nicknamed "The flying judge".

In April 1929 he was trying to fly between the most important cities of Congo (a belgian colony at the time) in an Avimeta 92 with a three man crew. They met a hurricane which sent their plane to the ground near lake Tanganyika.

Still researching the other topics...

I found that in 1914 as he was at the headquarters he was captured a first time by germans and escaped to Holland on a motorcycle.

Funny thing I just found : he was sent to jail because he had been doing some aerobatics over his airfield, which was forbidden. This is where he met Willy Coppens, who was also in jail for being caught in Paris without any official leave authorization. This is how they became friends !

On January 24 1917 he flew over occupied Brussels with a Nieuport and dropped 4 belgian flags in different places of the town and landed with one liter of fuel left !  What a man and what a life ...

Thks for the question Adger, I didn't know anything about Belgian pilots outside Willy Coppens.

Edited by corsaire31

Adger : don't leave the name of the guy as name of the picture...  :biggrin:  Makes it too easy...

This is Edmond Thieffry, first belgian ace with 10 confirmed victories. First one on a Nieuport 11 before his escadrille switched to Nieuport 23.

He was shot down in January 1918 over enemy lines and tried to escape 6 times ( no idea how...) and finished the war as a prisoner.

He had studied law and therefore was nicknamed "The flying judge".

In April 1929 he was trying to fly between the most important cities of Congo (a belgian colony at the time) in an Avimeta 92 with a three man crew. They met a hurricane which sent their plane to the ground near lake Tanganyika.

Still researching the other topics...

I found that in 1914 as he was at the headquarters he was captured a first time by germans and escaped to Holland on a motorcycle.

Funny thing I just found : he was sent to jail because he had been doing some aerobatics over his airfield, which was forbidden. This is where he met Willy Coppens, who was also in jail for being caught in Paris without any official leave authorization. This is how they became friends !

On January 24 1917 he flew over occupied Brussels with a Nieuport and dropped 4 belgian flags in different places of the town and landed with one liter of fuel left !  What a man and what a life ...

Thks for the question Adger, I didn't know anything about Belgian pilots outside Willy Coppens.

Corsaire spot on..i cant believe i left his name on the picture  :doh: ..I agree when i researched Him he was quite a "Bounder" as us Brits would say.I can quite imagine him as being the life and soul of the Party..

He Actually escaped once using a stolen Motorbike  to the Netherlands,In 1915 he joined the Compagnie des Ouvries et Aérostiers—the Belgian Army Air Corps,and he crash-landed so many craft in training that no one would fly 2 seaters with him ha ha,fair to say they quickly transfered him to a single seater squadron...what a guy 

He left the name on?!? Damn! I hadn't checked that!

Seems like it's your turn again, Corsaire!

WHERE ARE ALL THE OTHER PILOTS WHO LIKE QUIZ SHOWS?!?

• Like 1

In fact I wanted to see if the original picture was bigger so I could identify things on the uniform, and when I got my mouse to click on the picture, it said " thieffry.jpg size 14,82kb"  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Here comes the next one :

3200 of these airplanes were built. If 2200 were built by the designer, many others were built by a company which was before WW1 manufacturing wagons/carriage.

From then on this company became famous in aviation history and is still today working for Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Dassault and Embraer in the town where I live. 

Give me the name of the airplane and the name of the company.

quiz0503_zps8c62d9c3.jpg

Sub question :  Before the above, the same designer built this airplane :

Quiz05032_zps99236a58.jpg

Can you tell me the name of this one ?

Edited by corsaire31