Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Your fav "BAD GUYS" Cold War plane as a youth?

As a young boy growing up in the 70's and early 80's I had my favorite US/NATO planes, but I also had my favorite Eastern Block aircraft, and at the top of my list was this bird the MIG-19. I remember thumbing through a book of modern combat aircraft and I came across this thing just something about it, the refined yet awkward transitional look to it.. I could see the obvious  MIG-15 lineage in it. The Russian thinking of if its working and not broken don't fix it was very evident. What was your favorite Eastern Block aircraft as a youth during the Cold War? If you grew up on the other side of the "Wall" what was your favorite NATO aircraft growing up?

mig19-5.jpg

mig19-2.jpg

FMIG19_vl.jpg

Without any doubts, the Tu-126 "Moss". Each pictures of it on the ground impressed me as a child, his high stature on gears gave it an impression of strength and power.

tu126-3.jpg

tu126-i.jpg

Tu-126F-104.jpg

For me the "Bad Guys" were westward behind the iron curtain. :biggrin:

And this was my favorite bad guy plane:

post-3395-0-14683500-1393866421.jpg

F-5E Skoshi Tiger

Here the one with the Red Star.

Su-22 Fitter... a cool design!

post-9039-0-72236800-1393866601_thumb.jpg

I  grew up on the other side of the "Wall". Every day I saw these birds, and now I see them:

2629bc5e3d130d4de7cba890142ab866.jpg

We all grew up on Final Countdown ))) AND Flight of the Intruder.... I had a hard time to decide between them

post-81039-0-72602400-1393871281_thumb.jpg

The MiG-21 is my favorite red-side aircraft. I consider it a timeless design.

It was the MiG-25 before the advent of the 29 and Su-27. Once those showed up, I quickly embraced their superior aerodynamics. :grin:

MiG-21 later models, before I fell in love with the MiG-29's shapes. (but later, flew flight sims, and simply hated the Fulcrum's cockpit!)

I love the Mig 29 when i see it, before when i fly against it, dont love so much... but its a nice plane

The Su-22, it looks like the angry love child of a pissed off MIG-21 and a bad tempered bear thats been kept in a cage and beaten with sticks daily just to make it more angry!

However the Su-30 is possibly the most beautiful aircraft I've ever seen apart from the MKI versions I saw up close which looked a bit uncared for sadly (even though they were well maintained).

MiG 15, beginning of the Cold War, Korea........

The Mig-29 is my favorite Soviet aircraft. It's beautiful lines and excellent maneuverability have always made it a favorite of mine. 

On our red side, I loved the Mig21, later the 29. From the "evl" NATO and west I adored the Viggen and the SuperMirage4k with the F20.

MiG-21 was a short-legged sweetheart of an interceptor.  MiG-25 was the brute force fighter of all time.  I've seen the ugly end of both, but admired them as adversaries.

This one. Never built in series, but the coolest plane from USSR.

post-3395-0-28776300-1393946891_thumb.jpg

Mine is the Fulcrum. I saw the real one when few flew in Dayton Air Show in Glasnot days. She was beautiful and deadly just standing there. I couldn't get to the test pilot as he was flooded by people. I so wanted to "pick his brain" by talking shop :).

Falcon

Probably the Mig-31, makes the F-106's title of "Ultimate Interceptor" sound a little silly.

Craig