Sign in to follow this  
PFunk

Next PFunkWorks Terrain

Next PFunkWorks Terrain  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which terrain do you want developed next?

• Real World Dardanelles (IsraelME tileset)
    • Real World Baltic Sea (GermanyCE tileset)
    • Fictional 70s Bush War (IsraelME tileset)
    • Fictional 80s War on Terror (Desert tileset)
    • Fictional Slavic Peninsula (GermanyCE tileset)

Black Sea 2.0 is now updated for current patch levels and released.  Looking for input on what's next.

For me : Bush war.

Too many South African aircraft without any terrain to fly over...

• Like 3

I'm still holding out for the Antarctic ... :biggrin:

There were many real battles uncovered in the past instead making new fictional ones. A South African Scenario should be great, as a Malaysia "Firedog" too. :biggrin:

There are inherent risks to doing Real Life terrains:

1.)  The TE cannot properly scale anything.  Ever.  And no amount of editing exported .bmp images of the HFD will fix it.  I've tried.  So, you always end up with poor guys like Wrench screaming, "I KNOW it's not in the exact place, you jackwagon!"

2.)  Political aspects.  People get mad when you fake bomb a digital facsimile of their native soil.  For some reason.

The nice thing about fictional terrains is that you are constrained by nothing.  You can bring anyone you want to the party and make it look like anything you like.  Besides, I promised three more of these things, and I have to deliver.

I vote for Angola/Namibia too, might as well do it instead of a fictional one? It was actually the first project I attempted when I first joined CombatAce, still have the project files. Couldn't work TE tho, maybe I should revisit the idea if you decline?

A Angola/Namibia bush war will require a new tileset in my opinion, or at least several new tiles with transitions for those areas with bush style landscape. It will not look good with Israel Tileset. Too much bushes out there in real life.

There are inherent risks to doing Real Life terrains:

1.)  The TE cannot properly scale anything.  Ever.  And no amount of editing exported .bmp images of the HFD will fix it.  I've tried.  So, you always end up with poor guys like Wrench screaming, "I KNOW it's not in the exact place, you jackwagon!"

2.)  Political aspects.  People get mad when you fake bomb a digital facsimile of their native soil.  For some reason.

The nice thing about fictional terrains is that you are constrained by nothing.  You can bring anyone you want to the party and make it look like anything you like.  Besides, I promised three more of these things, and I have to deliver.

I disagree. Wars fought in the past are part of mankind´s history. The fictional wars could make some bad interpretation of political/economic actual scenario, throwing some nations against others. That´s what I´m thinking of that - no bad intentions! :declare:

I vote for bush / war : I would also be interested by an Angolia / Namibia type war

Speaking of the Bush war, what would the ideal map size be? What I got in my old project is something like this, with southern Angola and Northern Namibia. No thread hijack intended but it is a relevant question for anyone seeking to do a Bush war map.

planningmap copy.jpg

So, you always end up with poor guys like Wrench screaming, "I KNOW it's not in the exact place, you jackwagon!"

the language I use is usually a little bit harsher :biggrin:

and one reason to use 110 -120 % when creating the original HFD/TFD (63% x 2 = ????). And STILL the damn scale is off!!

2.)  Political aspects.  People get mad when you fake bomb a digital facsimile of their native soil.  For some reason.

Wilches is abso-frakking-lutely correct in his answer to that. It's Real World History, it happened and that's all there is too it.

For this so-called "Bush War" we badly need two new speech/voices - Potuguese(Portugal accent) and South African´s. Actually I´ve been in South Africa for a couple of times and I never understood wich´s the official language. I heard Afrikaner, a sort of Dutch and sometimes (very rare) English. Wich´s correct?

From Wiki:

South Africa is a multiethnic society encompassing a wide variety of cultures, languages, and religions. Its pluralistic makeup is reflected in the constitution's recognition of 11 official languages, which is among the highest number of any country in the world. Two of these languages are of European origin: English and Afrikaans, the latter originating from Dutch and serving as the first language of most white and coloured South Africans. Though English is commonly used in public and commercial life, it is only the fourth most-spoken first language.

BTW I'm voting for Bush War, hopefully in a real world Southern Africa theatre.

Okay, fellas, be aware.

You know who you get to fly as a friendly?  South Africa.  That's it.  Because nobody rode to their rescue back in the day.  Their ass was on their own.

• Like 1

not a problem with a terrain-specific nations ini. easy enough to define red and blue sides with that

Okay, folks.  Listen up.

You're going to get a Bush War terrain, but it's going to have to be fictional and I'll tell you why.

I spent the last two days coming up with a terrain to encompass the scope of the Angolan/South West Africa Wars.  What I came up with, in order for you to even be able to take off from Keetmanshoop, was a terrain that was literally twice the size of a stock terrain.  It was immense.  And that only gave you four to five friendly airfields and about as many enemy ones to take off from.  You would have Luderitz, Keetmanshoop, Grootfontein, Swakopmund, and one other one whose name is escaping me. 

Worse, the topography was just fugly.  The mountain range on the eastern border of the Namib had almost no definition to them.  in order for the mountains to actually look like, well...mountains, you have to compress the map in half, down to the size of a stock 1000km X 1000km terrain.  Which means NOTHING is scaled correctly.

Look, I can give you something that will work and that will be fun to play.  But editing every aircraft data.ini and loadout.ini to give them wing tanks or extra fuel is not the answer.  An added bonus is that we can bring more nations into a fictional scenario, including naval aviation....which if the South Africans would've had, they'd have been overjoyed.

So, on with the next terrain, which has been titled "Bush War".

• Like 3

I¡m happy with that PFunk, looking forward to it!!

terrain that was literally twice the size of a stock terrain.

oh, so it's normal sized. Remember, ALL stock terrains a 63% of reality. Which is why I use 110 -120 %, like for the Norway map

mountains can easily be drawn in after exportation of the height filed as bitmap.