Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Gee - even with "Labels on" I was getting jumped!

What a sim this is! Holy Moly!
We were on our way to attack a French balloon west of Reims, and we were flying
among thick thunderheads, when I noticed, that the leaders of both A and B flight
left our course. Usually a sign of enemies near.

I looked around but saw nothing. So I switched my Labels on - still nothing except
our own Albatros D.V. I had not paused, and suddenly I heard the impacts of machine
gun rounds, ripping the canvas of my left wing!

I rolled left and went half headover, downwards and pulled up again. Still couldn'T
see what happened! Only after another round, I found the French Nieuport appearing
right behind my six - firing after me again!

Geeze, even Labels hadn't helped me - my craft was beaten up, and I found it safer
to return to base. Fortunately Wilhelm Leusch shot that Nupe off my tail - thanks,
Wilhelm! - so I could push stick and dive to the Aisne river, which I only had to
follow east, to get to St.Loup-en-Champagne.

Have you ever seen a sim like that? Must I pause next time?
No, I won't - that would be too much of a cheat. I won't even use Labels again, but
rather try to evade towards other Albatros, so we can cover each other.

Damn, I'll have to digest that! My bigmouth is shrinking smaller more and more... :crutch:

:grin:

Edited by Olham

Oh, if only I had the time to get Sgt. Heza Pantswetter up to the front!  Your story just whets my appetite to get in the air again.  As you, I have been trying to fly without aids, although for these first few circuits I've had the TAC on.  I think I'll wrap things up in the workshop and go for a spin!

Thanks for the good story!

Tom

My pleasure, Tom!

Personally, I found the TAC always too distractive, and then too modern anyway.

Of course, Labels are also "false", but I confess, I occasionally switch them on,

just to find anyone else around me.

That's just it.  No matter how good these sims are, 1920 x 1080 pixels can't possibly duplicate real life visual acuity and distance perception.  There's always trade-offs in our hunt for immersion and realism.  And in the end, it's for our own enjoyment, so i don't sweat the small stuff.  Criminee, I've been known to go on "bombing orgies" in CFS3 ETO, just reload the bombs and make another pass.  Good practice!

Have fun!

Tom

I've resorted to labels and a minimum range tac but am finding my own poor decision making (I blame too much time trundling about flying DC-3's in AirHauler, a mod for FSX, lol !) and layers of rust are the root cause of my pilots not getting much beyond the 15-18 minute mark.  Plus the fact I'm awed by the environs and too busy gawking around at land and skyscapes- missing the enemies all together.  It's all good.  And totally agree with Tom above.  :)

Edited by Baldric

I find personally the new "dots" feature to be a nice one, less intrusive than labels. Being curious, I sometimes have a short burst at labels to have a quick look at who is the pilot I'm fighting with.

PS : I am also running two companies in Air Hauler, flying a Cessna Grand Caravan based in France and 2 Cessna 185F (1 amphibian and 1 toundra wheels) along the coast of Canada/Alaska based in Prince Rupert. (Flight reports on my blog hereunder)

Edited by corsaire31

I find personally the new "dots" feature to be a nice one, less intrusive than labels. Being curious, I sometimes have a short burst at labels to have a quick look at who is the pilot I'm fighting with.

PS : I am also running two companies in Air Hauler, flying a Cessna Grand Caravan based in France and 2 Cessna 185F (1 amphibian and 1 toundra wheels) along the coast of Canada/Alaska based in Prince Rupert. (Flight reports on my blog hereunder)

Hi Corsaire, I'm currently still operating my main AH company, "Aero Pacific", out of PHNG in Hawaii (massive rep drop after I dissolved all of my North American bases) with nine AI pilots, all flying DC-3's.  You can find me blathering on the AH "chat" channel along with West, Howard and a few others-- usually just jawing and trading stories, passing around the coffee thermos.

Back on topic <cough, apologizes> I am getting better at spotting so I imagine labels will be off in a few more sorties...and my pilot actually made 55 minutes today!  :D

The dots instead of Labels is something I have yet to check out.

Also the wingman commands - I am still only beginning to get to grips with everything.

(Yeah, I know, I'm a slowhand... :grin: )

The only problem with dots is the same as the small icon in Rise of Flight (for which I use a mod making them smaller) : you can see them through your cockpit/wings. The good thing now is that you can decide yourself in Workshop at which distance you want to see them.

(Off topic : when my canadian company is rich enough, I will also use a DC3, although the Twotter is also a possibility (specially with the Aerosoft Extended one...) for now I'm almost at 55% rep so I can hire a second pilot - I started in career mode with a C172)

Edited by corsaire31

The only problem with dots is the same as the small icon in Rise of Flight (for which I use a mod making them smaller) : you can see them through your cockpit/wings. The good thing now is that you can decide yourself in Workshop at which distance you want to see them.

(Off topic : when my canadian company is rich enough, I will also use a DC3, although the Twotter is also a possibility (specially with the Aerosoft Extended one...) for now I'm almost at 55% rep so I can hire a second pilot - I started in career mode with a C172)

Thanks for the workshop tip, I hadn't thought to check there regarding spotting distances for the dots :)

(OT re: AirHauler: the Aerosoft Twin Otter is a brilliant add-on.  I love the preflight check list system Aerosoft went with.  The aircraft models include a cargo variant so you can look back and see crates ^.^)