hurricane3

Esc in First Eagles I

I had to do a reinstall of First Eagles I and now when I hit the Esc.button to exit a mission the sim closes to desktop instead of just exiting the mission.The Esc. button works ok on any other screen but if I'am in a mission and want to say go back to the Hanger Screen I can't, the sim closes and I have to start all over again.

Any ideas why ?The Esc is mapped to exit mission and can't be changed .Sometime if I can hit alt.Esc.very fast the sim will go back to the previous screen,but  it doesn't always work.

Did you install the latest patches? (Nov 2008 probably fixes that)

Edited by MigBuster

Sorry , I should have given more info.Yes I have the sim patched up to the last expansion pack ,so it's fully updated.I'am running Windows 7 64 bit and the last time I had the sim on this same computer, the Esc. button did what it was supposed to do.Other than Max188 terrain mod, the sim is still stock, I haven't as yet added any other planes or effects or missions but I will.

The last time I had the sim installed I had it fully patched and had terrain effects ,missions and many planes installed and everything worked as advertised.

The only terrain folder that had anything about shaders was the Flanders terrain.It had useEffectShader=True in all case,s where the line useEffectShader=.Since I don't really know what I'am doing I didn't want to change any thing and mess things up ,so I can live with the problem ,it's just one extra step that I have to do if I want to end the mission and go to the hanger or loadout screen.Thanks guys for the advice.

The Esc is mapped to exit mission and can't be changed .

The Esc Key for exiting misssions can be changed to anything you like. You could try another key to see if its still a problem.

When I tried to change the Esc key it says "can not map quit game key or mission end key"

Could be permission related - where's it installed? are you admin on the PC? - I made a point of installing old games outside program files

It's installed on an external 2TB hd.I have UAC off and run my programs as admin. set to run in XP mode sp3.

easy enough to be safe:

make a backup copy *

open the data ini, and "save as..." call it ori-*terrain name*_data.ini

then, you can edit  with impunity, as you have the original as a backup

*the first thing one learns is modding SF/FE series: make a backup of the ini being edited

I'am running both updated DX9c and DX11.Since only the Flanders terrain has an ini file that has anything shaders in it ,I guess that would be the one to backup and edit.Should I change the line that says "useEffectShader=true" to False?

That's weird you can't reassign the exit mission or quit game key if you have permission. Is the message a system message or a game message? You could try changing the key in the default.ini file in manually with a text editor, then make the file read only to test if it works.

The Esc. button works ok on any other screen

This is also strange. If the Esc Key is assigned to Exit Mission in FE, it should only work exiting missions AFAIK, not on other screens or anything else.

The message is a game message not system message, and  yes if I'am in say the loadout screen, and hit the Esc button it wil take me to the previous screen but if I'am flying a mission and hit Esc it shuts down the game back to desk top ( or in my case to the screen I have all my flight sim exe's on,just a folder on my desktop labeled flight sims).

I just realized that the Esc key and the Alt+Q command are doing the same thing.In other words hitting just Esc is supposed to just end the mission but still leave me in game and Alt+Q is supposed to take me out of the game, but they are both taking me out of the game.

Always something,another problem I forgot to mention is when I go into the mission (where the planes are lined up on the field) 99% of the time my aircraft is moving.At times it starts out at 0 mph and goes to 4 to 10 mph ,other times it start right out at 15 to 20 mph, this is with the throttle reading 0.

Regarding the plane moving when I go into the missions ,I found if I hit Ctrl+I to select engine I can stop the prop and the plane stops.

don't forget, ww1 aircraft don't have wheel brakes

the "Cnt/I' acts as your blip switch (sorta)

I still would like to know how two different commands do the same thing ,that is the Ctrl takes me out of the sim and Alt Q also takes me out of the game and the sim won't let me change either command.Go figure

Also no command will just take me out of a mission.Go figure again

The message is a game message not system message, and  yes if I'am in say the loadout screen, and hit the Esc button it wil take me to the previous screen but if I'am flying a mission and hit Esc it shuts down the game back to desk top ( or in my case to the screen I have all my flight sim exe's on,just a folder on my desktop labeled flight sims).

Okay, but everything is then working oddly with your setup and/or your ESC key. In FE2 default, hitting the Esc key in any screen will bring up a sub-menu in the top left corner, not take you back to a previous screen, except in the case of a Mission where it exits the mission.

Try  modifying the key assignment text file with Notepad for the exit mission command (with something not elsewhere used, like ALT+E). Key assignments are in a file called default.ini in the Controls directory. Just copy that file and name the copy to say something mydefault.ini then select that new file in the game selecting Options then in the drop box "Keyboard Control Map".

Either try that or reinstall the whole game IMO.

A  fast update ,I went to the controls section ,made a copy of it ,  then changed the first line from EXIT FLIGHT=ESCAPE to EXIT FLIGHT= ESC. When I hit the Esc button, while in a mission nothing happened.So next I tried changing it to Alt+Esc and nothing ,I tried just using the letter E and then it would take me out of the game like Esc did.So I give up. Thanks guys for trying to help but it seems like it's almost hard coded for EXIT FLIGHT = to mean exit game, instead of Exit Flight.

Since the sim is already patched to the latest Expansion Pack and I have  max188 terrain and a few planes I just put in, I'am not going to uninstall and reinstall I'll just live with it.Thanks guys for trying to help but it seems a lost cause

by any odd chances, did any of the mods you installed contain something called "AircraftObject.ini"??

It'll be residing in the root of the /Objects folder.

IF so, rename it so the game won't see it.

then, get rid of the fiddled-with default ini, and let the game create a "stock" one.

Then see if they keystrokes return to normal

Wrench, there wasn't any ini files in the objects folder they are all dll files.I went ahead and backup the default ini then deleted it and went into the sim and flew a bit.Still the same, Esc takes me out of the game.I checked the new default ini and it still says EXIT FLIGHT=ESCAPE although now if I'am in any screen other than in a mission when I hit Esc I get the pop up menue in the upper left hand corner,so at least that's something.

Wrench, there wasn't any ini files in the objects folder they are all dll files.I went ahead and backup the default ini then deleted it and went into the sim and flew a bit.Still the same, Esc takes me out of the game.I checked the new default ini and it still says EXIT FLIGHT=ESCAPE although now if I'am in any screen other than in a mission when I hit Esc I get the pop up menue in the upper left hand corner,so at least that's something.

That's progress hurricane3!

The pop up menu activation using the ESC key is independent of the EXIT_FLIGHT=ESCAPE setting, its a setting you can't change in the controls configuration. So your problem seems now solely related to the EXIT_FLIGHT command.

How about changing both it and the Quit Game command to test the exit mission command again ....

EXIT_FLIGHT=ALT+E

QUIT_GAME=

That is, no quit game command, and a new exit flight command ALT+E key assignment as the exit and quit commands maybe in conflict, doing the same thing. ALT+E is good as it doesn't clash with other keyboard commands (the E you used earlier clashes with the TOGGLE ENGINE command in stock FE).

Edited by extremeone

OK ,I changed the EXIT_GAME to ALT+E leaving the QUIT_GAME blank, so now hitting ALT+E takes me out of the game.