Geezer

FE2 Mod Question

I'm on the home stretch for the WW1 ground objects, and will then complete the Halberstadt D.V.  So...in a few months I will resume work on 1930s stuff for FE2.  Rummaging around in my old backups, I also found A LOT of 1930s China war stuff - see shots below.  Both the China air war of 1937-1938 and the desert air war of 1940 had a lot in common - they were the last glory days of the biplane.  Lots of romantic high adventure, featuring open cockpits, white scarves, and wheel spats!  Also, both air wars were partial throwbacks to WW1 in terms of equipment, operational altitude, and tactics - perfect for FE2.  Additionally, the China air war was fought in a temperate climate so many of the already existing FE2 hi-res game environments can be modified for mod use, rather than creating the new hi-res desert environment needed for the 1940 desert air war.  Which would you guys prefer?

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

I believe in finishing something first before progressing to the next.  What I mean is if you can complete China before moving to the Desert, then do China first. :biggrin:

I believe in finishing something first before progressing to the next.  What I mean is if you can complete China before moving to the Desert, then do China first. :biggrin:

Yep, that's what I meant.  Which one first?  :biggrin:

If both are about equally close to/far from being finished, I'd vote 'China'. Less insterested in the theatre personally but there's greater noventy value and most of all, there looks to be an incredible variety of new planes, many of which you would not see in any other theatre. Spanish Civil War would be another great one to do.

Which one is closer to being finished ???

Both mods are at roughly the same stage of development, and both can use a lot of the WW1 figures and ground objects I am finishing up now.  The aircraft models are done, but not mapped or textured, and some (but not all) of the unique ground object models (trucks, hangars, etc) are done.  Most of the fighters have cockpit models, but not mapped or textured.

China has a slight edge because it can use existing temperate game maps, and has more scope for missions, campaigns, etc. so there would be more bang for the modding buck.  China can also be developed further if it proves popular because the air war of 1937-1938 caused an American adviser for the Chinese to decide he needed experienced mercenary pilots to replace the poorly trained Chinese pilots.  The guy's name was.....Claire Chennault.  :blink:

I would say China but that is simply personal preference on my end. Both mods look beautiful and I would enjoy either of them but China has always been a favorite theater for me.

Geezer, do you have a list of what's what?? I can ID most of them but a couple of the IJAAF/IJN are eluding me

I've got:

BF2C

Gladiator

B-10

A-17

Condor

Ki-5 bomber

A5M Claude

one I think is a D2M IJN carrier based torpedo (just below the Gladiator)

another possibly a Babs? Sonia? or Mary?

some of the early Ki-??? fighters are stumping me!

thanks!

ps: they look good, even in the renders!

Love that Curtis Condor!!

Geezer, do you have a list of what's what?? I can ID most of them but a couple of the IJAAF/IJN are eluding me

I've got:

BF2C

Gladiator

B-10

A-17

Condor

Ki-5 bomber

A5M Claude

one I think is a D2M IJN carrier based torpedo (just below the Gladiator)

another possibly a Babs? Sonia? or Mary?

some of the early Ki-??? fighters are stumping me!

thanks!

ps: they look good, even in the renders!

Japanese Army Air Force: Kawasaki Ki.2, Ki.3, Ki.10, and Mitsubishi Ki.30.  Japanese Navy: Yokosuka B4Y Jean, Nakajima A4N, and Mitsubishi A5M.

Chinese Air Force:

Curtiss Hawk II & III (export models), Dewoitine 500C, FIAT CR32, Gloster Gladiator, Curtiss A-12 (export model), Northrop 2E, Martin B-10 (export model), and Caproni 133. 

Yet to be made are the export model of the Boeing P-26 Peashooter, Aichi D1A Susie, Nakajima E8N2 Dave, and Bellanca 28/90.  Maybe an early G3M Nell - the version with two little dorsal turrets.

Edited by Geezer

This is beyond belief, China sounds great it would be like a whole new game!

I gotta add your buildings are just beautiful.

Hi Geezer -

I'm wondering how work is going with this. I'm especially interested in the Japanese carrier planes, A4N and D1A. It's been a dream of mine to build out an install of the Sino-Japan war of 1937. Those are pretty much all I need to do it. Your work looks fabulous.

Hi Geezer -

I'm wondering how work is going with this. I'm especially interested in the Japanese carrier planes, A4N and D1A. It's been a dream of mine to build out an install of the Sino-Japan war of 1937. Those are pretty much all I need to do it. Your work looks fabulous.

The answer is ..... slowly.  I am getting some outstanding help from several guys, but the models and skins are only about 40% of the work required to produce a releasable aircraft.  I am committed to producing a batch of 1940 aircraft suitable for the Battle of Britain and North Africa, so I don't work on 1937 China War stuff very often.  Shot below of some progress on Chinese Shrike skins, plus completed models of two Chinese Hawks.

• Like 1

Cool. Thanks for the update. Everything looks fabulous. If you need help with FMs or skins, I'd be willing to pitch in and help.

Cool. Thanks for the update. Everything looks fabulous. If you need help with FMs or skins, I'd be willing to pitch in and help.

I'm gonna take you up on your offer to help with FMs or skins!  :biggrin:

If you like, you can DL Wrench's old Hawk3 from the SF1 section and familiarize yourself with it.  I'll start mapping my new one, and eventually get it to you.  Once we get our process shaken down and working, we can do some Japanese stuff.

post-39531-0-47068500-1449416008_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Works! I've got my China '37 install going already, and Wrench's Hawk3 is already in it. Fiddling with the A5M FM right now. I'm looking forward to working with you.