Sign in to follow this  
BearGryllis

Syrian MIG-23 shot down by Turkish F-16s.

Well guys, it been a long time, and I am here with hot news:

Today, a Syrian Air Force MIG-23 (NATO Rep. Name Flogger) was shot down by Turkish Air Force F-16's that patrolling the area due to commit a border conflict at Hatay, Yayladağı. The conflicting plane was warned before the fire by the officials. One of the conflicting planes was returned the Syrian Air Zone after the warnings. Syrian media suggest that the pilot was ejected safely, no words from Turkish officials about that. After the incident between Syria and Turkey in 2012, a Turkish Air Force recon plane RF-4 was shot down by Syrian SAM's without warning, after that Ankara changed the engagement rules to red, warn-and-shot. Thats the second engagement from the Turkish side to the Syrian air elements, before that, a Syrian gunship was shot down due to same reasons.

Further news will shared.

I will try to find a video about it, if I, I will share it here...

Mehmetcan Öksüz

23765883_zps9ef8146d.jpg

heard about it earlier.. let them have each other.. :)

The photo on the above BBC link shows a photo of an Su-27 performing at an airshow, and is credited to ANADOLU Agency claiming it's the MiG-23 going down in flames. Or else Syria got Flankers and the Turkish F-16 shot one of those down...

The photo on the above BBC link shows a photo of an Su-27 performing at an airshow, and is credited to ANADOLU Agency claiming it's the MiG-23 going down in flames. Or else Syria got Flankers and the Turkish F-16 shot one of those down...

Ha - yep that's just the mainstream press for you (thought it was a MiG-29 personally)

I don't remember that incident. When did the Russians lose a display Flanker at an airshow?

Did they or is it just releasing a lot of flares?

• Like 1

Anadolu Press, Mainstream Press...  Puh-TAH-toe... Poe-TAY-toe... They all missed it. Bottom line for me is Vipers : MiGs is still +1 : 0

I don't remember that incident. When did the Russians lose a display Flanker at an airshow?

Oh... about every other year since the 90's IIRC. They finally made it part of the routine.

Seriously though- Russian Airshow acts put out the flares like nobody's business! Just Google their act and you'll see. YouTube, too.

That was a well-timed shot then to make the flares look like a blown engine.

• Like 1

At high AOA the air curls/flats out on the top of the wing, sucking in the flares and their smoke, giving the appearance of the jet burning.

Surprisingly, I just used my Maisto Su-33 and MiGBuster's above photos to explain this to my 7-year-old. And then he explained it back to me! He got it. My son, the future aeronautical engineer... >sniff<

Go Turkey, Go Turkey, Go Turkey!!!!!!!!!

post-3395-0-07427400-1395849863.jpg

Allways this hurry!

• Like 2

I don't doubt the Turkish AF statement, but the pictures all look like file photos from a variety of events and a variety of aircraft. 

:rolleyes:

Too right - the MiG-23/27 in the first post looks like its just fired some Rockets!