MiG-25 Foxbats for SF2

SF2 MiG-25 Foxbats

This mod package contains a collection of MiG-25 Foxbats, all converted and updated to SF2 standards. Included in the package are all the weapons, effects, pilots, and seats that you will need to install and use any of the aircraft in this package.

These aircraft can be used in SF2, SF2E, SF2V, SF2I, or SF2NA. To install and use them, you should ensure that your SF2 installation is patched to at least the Dec2009 patch level. See below for installation instructions.

Those familiar with the original MiG-25 Pack assembled by Dave (USAFTML) for SFP1 will rightly recognize that this updated package simply builds on the work of Dave and the entire team behind that original release. (The original ReadMe from that release is included here.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Installation

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To install, simply drag the \Effects and \Objects folders to your SF2 Mods Folder (NOT the folder that the game installs to). By default your Mod Folder should be located here:

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\ThirdWire\[Game]\

Windows Vista: \Users\[username]\Saved Games\ThirdWire\[Game]\

Windows 7: \Users\[username]\Saved Games\ThirdWire\[Game]\

...where [username] is the account you log into within Windows and [Game] is the name of the particular game mod folder that you're moving the files to. If the aircraft are not showing up in your Single Mission Aircraft menu, then you didn't install all the bits correctly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aircraft & Nations Included

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following aircraft are included in this package:

MiG-25P Foxbat-A - Interceptor

MiG-25R Foxbat-B - Recon version

MiG-25RB Foxbat-B - Recon/Bomber version

MiG-25PU Foxbat-C - 2 seat trainer

MiG-25PD Foxbat-E - Interceptor (updated)

MiG-25PD Foxbat-E - Interceptor (updated), Export version

MiG-25BM Foxbat-F - Anti-radar version

The following nations are represented:

USSR

India

Iraq

Libya

Syria

For more information on the differences between these various versions, see this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-25

Also useful are these online articles:

http://www.airvectors.net/avmig25.html

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Foxbat-Foxhound-92.html

http://everything2.com/title/MiG-25+Foxbat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes on Changes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This package is largely an updating of the original MiG-25 Foxbat Pack to SF2 standards. I will not claim 100 percent technical and historical accuracy for every aspect of every aircraft, but I did consult a number of sources while preparing this package.

Several things are worth noting:

- landing gear for all aircraft is fixed, so aircraft no longer bounce

and teeter around on the ground or wander off into the weeds (this has

long been a pet peeve of mine with these aircraft, and I think I have

finally fixed the underlying problem);

- brake chute animation for the PD and PD Export version has been disabled,

as the animation appears to be partially broken, leaving the chute door

open during flight (strangely, this problem does not affect the other

models);

- all engines now have fake afterburner nodes (if you don't like their

appearance, you're welcome to substitute your own or turn them off);

- all aircraft use standard SF2 shadow statements (the included .SHD files

actually spawn those dreaded tractor beams, whereas a simple SF2 shadow

configuration does not).

It should also be noted that the skins included here are quite dated. If anyone is so inspired to create a new set of skins and decals (Paulopanz, I'm looking at you...), please contact me at CombatAce.com. I would be happy to incorporate a new set of skins and decals into an updated version of this package.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Credits & Acknowledgements

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This package largely consists of work done by others and released previously in other packages. All I did was assemble the package, update the bits to SF2 standards, and make minor adjustments and tweaks here and there (discussed above).

Primary credit goes to the team responsible for the original MiG-25 Foxbat package for SF1:

Dave (USAFTML)

Wpnssgt

Tomcat1974

Sundowner

Ghostrider

Deuces

Moonjumper

Also included in this package are skins or decals done by the following individuals:

HrntFixr

Sidewinder86

Gepard

Wrench

The cockpits used in this package were built by:

Paladrian (MiG-21 cockpit)

Boopidoo & Badger the Bad (Su-15 cockpit)

Finally, I used a tweaked version of the fake afterburner node effect introduced by Spectre8750.

If I have neglected to credit anyone, please let me know -- it will be fixed ASAP. A copy of the original ReadMe for the MiG-25 Foxbat Pack for SFP1 is included in the same directory as this ReadMe. Any errors in this package are mine alone, so please do report bugs and inaccuracies to the CombatAce.com forum.

-----------

Eric Howes

eburger68

27 March 2014

• Like 1

".......... Paulopanz, I'm looking at you"

And I was looking for this Eric! You made a great work!

Sometimes ago Spillone104 & I looked at these foxbats and took the max files (Alex should still have them ....) to improve ALL the line up.

But as far as I remember the planes measures weren't so good and Centurion started his better project (still a WIP) ..... so we gave up.

I think that something could be done as here we have ALL  versions, Centurion's one is still behind the horizon and I'm very interested in repainting, restoring, fixing and upgrading existing skins and decals, maybe adding something new.....

BUT I ask from a 3D artist some little tweakings in deleting spikes/tractor beams from some versions (PD for example ...) and maybe fixing brake chutes too.

Baffmeister could improve the FM too ....

Someone could take care of these birds lods ?

:biggrin:  :biggrin: :biggrin:  

Edited by paulopanz

Centurion is working on a complete new MiG-25...

Sure thing. A very good long lasting WIP.

But we have ALL the versions including the two seater, the recon ones just done that  only need some tractor/beam cutting and chute tweaking ....

If someone fix I wll repaint .....

Where can I to see his work?

6ed0e02270c08644f4430586945886f9.jpg

the shadow front gear door issue for P PD mostly is the main tweak to do ....

Edited by paulopanz

Good idea and I hope we will have some improvements

Thnak you all

Paulo:

You wrote:

But we have ALL the versions including the two seater, the recon ones just done that  only need some tractor/beam cutting and chute tweaking ....

If someone fix I wll repaint ...

One other problem: that PTB-5500 drop tank is too long by about 2.1 m. It either sticks out the rear under the engine exhausts or protrudes into the nose gear in the front. We need a new one that fits the dimensions of these particular models.

Eric Howes

Paulo:

You wrote:

One other problem: that PTB-5500 drop tank is too long by about 2.1 m. It either sticks out the rear under the engine exhausts or protrudes into the nose gear in the front. We need a new one that fits the dimensions of these particular models.

Eric Howes

Sure, i forgot it.

Thanks for the package! Now we need the Mig-25 cockpit to be released!!

Oooppss, that is time ago. We hope that someone else can bring us a beautiful Mig-25 cockpit.  :pilot:

PD: I find some cockpits used in the Yak-25 mods similar to the Foxbat's one.

Going to have a look at the radar after dinner, wasn't the Mig-25 supposed to be able t burn through ECM as if it wasn't there? Couldn't lock up a B-52 at 3 miles flying the E model...

Craig

fallenphoenix:

I have read that the MiG-25 did indeed have a powerful radar, but nothing so powerful that it could "burn through ECM as if it wasn't there." That almost sounds like the kind of fear-mongering that surrounded the MiG-25 before Belenko defected with one in 1976, when we learned that this alleged Soviet superfighter was nothing of the kind.

I've also read that ECM on the Blackbirds was able to defeat the MiG-25's radar. But then I've also read Soviet accounts that the MiG-25 was able to achieve a radar lock on SR-71s on occasion, so who knows who's telling the truth here.

The other factor here is the ECM of the B-52s, which was apparently heavy duty stuff. Ed Rasimus discusses the effects of the B-52s ECM on his F-4E's radar when his backseater made the mistake of trying to lock one up at relatively close range. (See his second book "Palace Cobra.")

Eric Howes

Granted it probably is an exageration however I've been unable to obtain a lock against anything at any range, just took it up against a flight of B-57B's with the exact same results.

Craig

Hi guys, yeah I am sorry my MiG-25 is taking so gdamn long, what can I say... The bad news is that it's gonna need a remap more or less too. The good new is that is pretty high on my list of priorities and Martin will help me with it.The cockpit is pretty basic actually and not all instruments work but I could consider releasing the cockpit "as is". I sort of regret using lower res textures than I would have had to. But yeah, I'll look into it!

Here is the exterior model, as of now:

post-19311-0-78716800-1394707742.jpg

post-19311-0-58996000-1394707745.jpg

• Like 6

fallenphoenix:

Granted it probably is an exageration however I've been unable to obtain a lock against anything at any range, just took it up against a flight of B-57B's with the exact same results.

Craig

There's nothing special about the MiG-25 radar data. If you take a look at it, you'll see that it's roughly comparable to the later F-4s. In testing I was able to achieve a lock on targets, and my wingmen were able to achieve adequate results with radar-guided AA-6s and AA-7s against various aircraft.

In fact, the radar data for MiG-25P & PD is almost exactly the same as had been used on those aircraft for several years in NF5 and Desert Storm, and I've yet to hear a complaint about the MiG-25s in those mods.

Eric Howes

I've actually been using the F-4 as a baseline for comparrison  - so far I havn't had any luck spotting anything that should make the slightest difference, it simply refuses to lock onto anything seemingly for nor reason.

Craig

fallenphoenix:

Turns out there is a problem with the PD. In the avionics.ini for that model (but not the others), I screwed up the Min/MaxElevationAngle lines near the top. They should read:

MaxElevationAngle=52
MinElevationAngle=-42

I had both values as positive. This problem does not affect the other interceptors.

I was already planning to upload an updated version of the mod later this evening to correct some other minor oversights. This bug will also be corrected in that package.

Eric Howes

Folks:

As promised, a refreshed mod package is now available. This version corrects the radar problem with the MiG-25PD. It also adds a previously missing Parts.BMP to several MiG-25RB skins.

Eric Howes

Something's holding me back.  Can't even get close to Mach 2 in the P or the PU (haven't tried others yet).  Tried altitudes 15,000ft, 25,000ft, 35,000ft and 45,000ft.  Any insights into this issue?

arthur66:

Nope.

Eric Howes

Ok.  Nice pack to have regardless.

In response to the earlier discussion:

The B-52 had (and probably still has) a very impressive ECM suite. We had four very large electrical generators so we could pump out a lot of jamming. We also had a dedicated Electronic Warfare Officer to run the whole mess, while a fighter usually just has a pod that they turn on and hope it works. Finally we had so much chaff and flares on board that we could pump them out all day long.

We didn't fear the MiG-25 all that much. If we were down low, which was our preferred tactic back when I flew them, the Foxbat's radar probably wouldn't pick us out of the ground clutter.

Even a MiG-29 pilot who had defected, when asked if he thought he could intercept a B-52 flying 300 feet at night in terrain answered "No effing way".

• Like 3