Sign in to follow this  
Deadhead

Bombing in WoFF

Hi all i was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some tips on bombing in WoFF . I dont usually play 2 seaters but thought id try to see what its like , I chose the DFW because of the bombsight view and in QC I was reasonably successful working out keys and systems etc but in campaign I'm not having much luck , the problem is that frequently i cant change positions at critical times ,e.g. i can't get to bombaimer view as we come to target or cant get back from bomb to gunner. Luckily i'm flying invulnerable so i can try it out and I quite like the gunner but have trouble seeing where rounds are going. Hope someone can help tell me what im doing wrong.

Ditch the bombsight view and bomb from the external view while flying the plane, looking directly down, from 2-4 thousand feet. Having lined up your target in your direction of flight, keep her level, throttled slightly back and let 'em rip in a couple of closely-spaced salvoes to get a 'bracket', once you estimate you're close enough for the 'forward throw' of the bombs to reach the target. Approach along the longest line of your target, eg a railyard or a row of hangars.

Works surprisingly well - see the first two CA-WW1 mission reports here and is how Duncan Grinnell-Milne did it for real during the big raid on Don railway station. He gave up on the fancy bombsight they'd been issued and went down to two thousand and bombed by eye, actually getting some hits.

...is how Duncan Grinnell-Milne did it for real during the big raid on Don railway station. He gave up on the fancy bombsight they'd been issued and went down to two thousand and bombed by eye, actually getting some hits.

THEY HAD EXTERNAL VIEW???

:biggrin:

They certainly did.   When they jumped out of their burning plane to avoid being cooked alive, they briefly had an External View.   Pretty sure it didn't do anything for their combat effectiveness though.

Another well-known use of the External View in WW1 was for changing a sticky drum on a Lewis Gun.

LouisStrange.jpg

HEHE i started something there didnt i ? Yeah i've tried using external view and its ok and i guess the way to go , Ive since tried the Brisfit with some success but again there are times when I try to change from pilot to gunner and have no joy. Oh well at least the Bris flies like a dream and seems to have plenty in hand when chasing even Alb.DVs , and the gunner in back is comforting tho I havent heard much from him , not so comforting was getting an Alb in my sights and 2 Lewis guns suddenly swung overhead tho at least he didnt fire.

Thanks for suggestions all.