Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

How Can I find the coordinates of a map location?

I'm using South Vietnam map as a fictional country scenario, but want to know how I can find the coordinates of a proper place in South Vietnam map so I can add one "hasty airfield TM" for the RED Air Force. Only need three suitable (flat places) and I will be ready to go.

Also will like to ask, Is possible to change the tiles of that given location?

Thanks a lot!!

you can ONLY change tiles via the terrain editor; the same way you flatten --which MUST be done-- an airfield. You CANNOT just add a tile to the terrain data ini, drop the bmp/tga into the terrain folder and expect it to work. You must add it to that terrain's texture list, place it on the map, and generate a new TFD.

Ain't no other way to do it.

as to locating a 'region'...

http://combatace.com/topic/44621-adding-objects-to-your-target-areas/

You can also add and change tiles using the TFD tool, you'll need to create a name for your new tiles,add them to the terrain data INI then using TFD in map mode use pgup or pgdown until your tile shows up where ever you need it,rotate to suit, flatten in height map mode and save both the .TFD and hdf that it generates.

The TFD readme explains how to do all this and lots more.

true, Ant. forgot about Gerwin's tool.

IIRC, Gerwins' tool saves the new HFD/TFD DIRECTLY in the terrain folder; so if you screw up you have NO way to restore from a backup copy, like with the TE, that stores the new ones within itself. (smart terraformers always back up the tfd/hfd in the terrain folder BEFORE adding the new ones!!)

OTH, I can do it in TE in less than 90 seconds!! :biggrin:

Edited by Wrench

Me and the TE are not on speaking terms m8..lol, but damn good point about TFD replacing your current versions automatically.... ALWAYS BACK UP your TFD AND HFD files BEFORE starting work with the TFD.!

I don't want to be responsible for anybody screwing up their terrains.

I have Gerwin tool, I will try to add those airfields first, and then flatten the terrain beneath them. The tiles I want to use are part of the default set, simply want to change the jungle tiles for something like crops so I don't have trees on the runways.