Sign in to follow this  
paulopanz

Lightning F.52 & F.53

Lightning F.52 & F.53

In order to provide an urgent counter to the air incursions, with Saudi towns close to the border being bombed by Egyptian aircraft, an additional interim contract, called "Magic Carpet", was placed in March 1966 for the supply of six ex-RAF Lightnings (four F.2s and two T.4 trainers, redesignated F.52 and T.54 respectively), six Hawker Hunters, two air defence radars and a number of Thunderbird surface-to-air missiles.The "Magic Carpet" Lightnings were delivered to Saudi Arabia in July 1966, with an additional F.52 being delivered in May 1967 to replace a Lightning lost in an accident.

Lightning F.52 Slightly modified ex-RAF F.2 single-seat fighters for export to Saudi Arabia (5 converted - 4 in service).

Lightning F.53, otherwise known as the Export Lightning, developed as a private venture by BAC; while the Lighning had originated as an interception aircraft, this version was to have a multirole capability for quickly interchanging between interception, reconnaissance, and ground-attack duties.The F.53 was based on the F.6 airframe and avionics, including the large ventral fuel tank, cambered wing and overwing pylons for drop tanks of the F.6, but incorporated an additional pair of hardpoints under the outer wing. These hardpoints could be fitted with pylons for air-to-ground ordnance, including two 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs or four SNEB rocket pods each carrying 18 68 mm rockets. A gun pack carrying two ADEN cannon and 120 rounds each could replace the forward part of the ventral fuel tank.[20][nb 1] Alternative, interchangeable packs in the forward fuselage carried two Firestreak missiles, two Red Top missiles, twin retractable launchers for 44× 2-inch rockets, or a reconnaissance pod fitted with five 70 mm Type 360 Vinten cameras. (35 to RSAF; 12 to KAF)

WHAT's IN:

- 2 planes (F.52 from Spinners & F.53 from Tk/TW) enhanced

- 3 RSAF New Silver Skins for F.52 & decalsets

- 5 RSAF New Silver Skins for F.53 & decalsets

- 1 RSAF Camo redone from J. Fox for F.53 & decalset

- 3 KUAF New Silver Skins for F.53 & decalsets

- sounds, pilot etc.

OPERATIONS:

- canopy openable Key=10 with auto closing

CREDITS:

- Tk/Tw for the plane (Exp. 2)

- Spinners for original F.52 data

- James Fox for F.53 Camo Skin base

- Paulopanz skins, decals, edits

INSTALL:

- You need Exp. 2 to work

- put objects & sounds folders in your mod folder and overwrite

Enjoy. :haha:

@paulopanz

• Like 2

Finally got around to installing this after downloading about a year ago :good:

I've been flying the F.52 all night but the F.53 doesn't show up, noticed the Avionics and cockpit INI's are missing from the package... though presumably they're hidden in the game files in stock format somewhere so would have thought it would still show up?

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

53 minutes ago, paulopanz said:

Exp 2 is needed

I have it, the F.52 shows up just fine but the F.53 doesn't.

The only obvious differences i can see are that the F.52  in the pack has a Cockpit and Avionics INI supplied, but the F.53 doesn't.

I tried editing the 53's LOD references to the Lightning F.6 based on the fact that the F.52 appears to reference the Lightning F.2. This however made no difference, so I changed it back to "53LOD"

F52.JPG

F53.JPG

53missing.JPG

I don’t see a Lightning53.cockpit.ini in your Lightning53 folder screenshot....

2 hours ago, allenjb42 said:

I don’t see a Lightning53.cockpit.ini in your Lightning53 folder screenshot....

That's why I posted it, I don't have one. There isn't one in the package for the F.53, only the F.52 :dntknw:

It's a stock pit from Exp. 2

No folder non file.ini needed

Try to use a vanilla LightingF53.ini it should work!

[this mod works fine for me]

7 minutes ago, paulopanz said:

It's a stock pit from Exp. 2

No folder non file.ini needed

Try to use a vanilla LightingF53.ini it should work!

[this mod works fine for me]

Ended up pasting in and renaming the files from the F.6... why its not calling out the stock files for the 53 I have no idea.

I tried it on vanilla install and works fine too

I'can't understand what happened on your install

2 hours ago, paulopanz said:

I tried it on vanilla install and works fine too

I'can't understand what happened on your install

No idea, something must be corrupted somewhere but I can really see how.

Having now flown the F.53 it seems I still have some work ahead of me... the cockpit from the F.6 works but there is no symbology on the sight, even though there is when I fly the F.6 (and every other model for that matter).

Edit: checked the Thirdwire site and it turns out you need SF2E, SF2 and EXP2 to make the53 flyable... I'm missing SF2 on this install hence why I needed to use the F.6 to get it working.