strahi

R.I.P. Windows XP

After everyone switches to Win 7 they'll cut support and force Win 8 on us. $$$

I'ld rather go back to a Mac G3 than have to work on a Windows 8 running computer.

Windows 9 will be out before Win 7 is cut. Besides, Vista will go before 7.

Edited by JediMaster

by the same timescale Win7 will be good until the early 2020s.  hell, you can still get it preloaded depending on the manufacturer.

I took part in a mass OS-refresh project where Windows XP was being rolled out on 3000+ workstations at a major business campus, back in the late Winter-Early Spring of 2002.  We had a Micro Soft rep onsite, and I recall him predicting that "We'll still be supporting XP well into the next decade".  Amazingly, he was right on the money.

I still use it at work however it hit a message today at me saying that it's dying...poor lil' thing  :not_i:

Interesting fact here I never used it at home,was pushing WinME which interestingly worked pretty well for me up until I got Server2003 over some student deal at crazy price and used that thing as a workstation, worked amazingly well...then I got hooked up on Win7 beta after a major system crash I had, got so into it I don't want it to EVER change lol, even got MS certified on it...

@Fubar, 3000+ workstation OS refresh in 2002? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn you guys really mean business with IT, here it's rare to find a company having over 300 even today...

LOL, I did it for 5000+ PCs for Win 2k, Win XP, Vista, and 7 in my 10 years working for the USAF. Oh, and I should mention we did it for XP TWICE. First with our own load, then we used the USAF "standard desktop" version a 2nd time not 6 months later.

That was for the combined Patrick AFB/Cape Canaveral AFS network.

@Fubar, 3000+ workstation OS refresh in 2002? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn you guys really mean business with IT, here it's rare to find a company having over 300 even today...

And that was after a cycle of layoffs at that company. The same campus once hosted 3800 users just a year before that refresh.  It was a multinational company that, "Didn't make the colors, it just made them brighter"   :biggrin:  They have since leased that enormous facility out to another firm, and I believe that they're now down to less than 1000 users at their present HQ.

Edited by Fubar512

So, I just inherited a machine, turned on XP, and it needs to be activated via online or by calling MS Support, therefore there is no way to activate it now?  

Edited by MigBuster

hmm - well if it doesn't work here are your options:

You can ring them and be told to upgrade to Win 8

or Pay them 5 million pounds for another years support (See UK Government)

I've got Win7 on my gaming (ok, flying) computer built just over a year ago, because I wanted a 64-bit system and XP was getting long-in-the-tooth. But I still run XP on my "everything else" computer. I like it. I'm not overly happy with the looks of 7. Recently reloaded XP and got all the updates. Next step is to ghost it so I have a clean version available no matter what.

Farewell to an old friend.

Windows 8 is awful..and I'd rather use Win98 than that Graphical pap!!!

So, I just inherited a machine, turned on XP, and it needs to be activated via online or by calling MS Support, therefore there is no way to activate it now?  

Can't you get a dead pc with xp and use that ?

I was forced into Windows8 because I needed a new computer and no manufacturer is licensed to load anything other than 8 on their hardware any more. I would put Win8 on par with that flustercluck they called Vista (what a nightmare that was). Although both are absolutely terrible to use. I think that 8 is just a little worse than Vista. It's not that its different than the other Windows systems. It's just ridiculously redundant, annoying to navigate with it's useless "charms" popping up, a desktop, and this other no mans land they call the charm menu, it's user unfriendly menu configurations, the fact that you can't touch anywhere on the damn screen without having to worry about crap changing or popping out to prompt a change, and about a gazillion other annoying, unfriendly features. Windows 8 is the straw in this camel's back. And what's with the multi step process to get out of programs like Adobe Reader? You can't just click on the corner, you have to either go to the corner of your monitor, let the desktop icon drop down and navigate to the desktop (not really closing the program, only hiding it) or you have to right click to a whole other menu to close. It's just stupid. I resolved to make my next computer a Mac because Microsoft just doesn't understand what adults want anymore. They cater to kids and their friggin toys.

I was kind of under the impression that Windows8 would be OK since 7 was pretty good. But they just bent all of us over again. You can't trust Microsoft any more.

Edited by Marlatt
  • Like 1

Can't you get a dead pc with xp and use that ?

I'm not sure how a dead pc will hep. What I did was to take a homeless hard drive that has xp, and install it into a Dell case that had a dead drive. When xp booted, it wants activation. Last weekend I got a disk so I can use the key for it.

I'm really happy with 7 64. It seems to be very stable, and runs pretty much everything I want it to run. Will be a long time before I say goodbye to it...and I suspect Windows 9 will be every bit as shit as windows 8

Windows 8.1 Update 1 has improved things quite a bit. It's still not "as good as 7", but it's no longer worlds worse.

When DX12 comes out, and will apparently not be for 7 (as DX11.1 is currently also not), it may be that the benefits will finally surpass the downsides. Of course, by then Win9 could be out and either make 8 look like crap...or heaven. :grin:

I'm not sure how a dead pc will hep. What I did was to take a homeless hard drive that has xp, and install it into a Dell case that had a dead drive. When xp booted, it wants activation. Last weekend I got a disk so I can use the key for it.

I should have said the windows product key from a not running pc