Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Slow mover interceptor?

Scorpion-smi.jpg

Cessna’s parent company Textron Scorpion is a low cost Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR)/Strike aircraft with a cruising speed of up to 450 knots.

Developed in about 2 years, the aircraft has a ferry range of 2,400 NM (nautical miles) and a payload of 3,000 lbs internal stores as well as underwing PGMs (Precision Guided Munitions), is pitched for ISR and homeland security mission set.

Indeed, the “affordable warplane for low-threat missions” has shown its impressive stability and responsiveness by intercepting a Cessna 182 flying at extremely low speed: 120 KCAS (Knots Calibrated Air Speed).

The two-seater with twin tails, a two 8,000 lb turbofan engines, straight wings and all-composite fuselage seems be a perfect match for the “low-cost combat plane to contain the cost of prolonged operations,” whose need emerged during Libya Air War 2011.

Even if it is unclear whether such platform has real chances to see active service within the U.S. or any other country’s air arm, for sure the image of the mock interception on the C182 shows that the Scorpion would be capable to perform, if needed, even the SMI (Slow Mover Interceptor) role.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/04/10/scorpion-low-speed-interception/

How that's so cute, thinking of Homeland Security and giving them the opportunity to have their own "combat" jets.

Then you throttled back to 55kts and look for the jet's stalling performances...

• Like 1

Is not the Super Tucano / AT-6B better suited for this role?

I think in some performance value, probably, but since that bird can dash with 450knots (cruise) and the AT6 is only 316knots (max) capable this new guy will do better under the definition of interception. You have to get to the bad guy before he lands and most of the time they would not only look for lost and uncommunicative private planes with 200-250knots top speed or would not have the luxury of nearby "targets" during patrol.

I think in some performance value, probably, but since that bird can dash with 450knots (cruise) and the AT6 is only 316knots (max) capable this new guy will do better under the definition of interception. You have to get to the bad guy before he lands and most of the time they would not only look for lost and uncommunicative private planes with 200-250knots top speed or would not have the luxury of nearby "targets" during patrol.

Make sense. Wondering If that big nose can house a A-A radar.

Should be able to, but I don't think it would be anywhere near so sophisticated like the F-birds have. 

well.....................

what we did way back when I was still in NORAD was combine fast movers with helo's.  So USCG Helo's (with LE Authority) handle the slow movers inside a defense zone that needs that. 

No need for a new plane.  We don't have the bucks for that.

No need for a new plane.  We don't have the bucks for that.

I really doubt the Scorpion can get a contract in the States. But what about other countries? Maybe replacing Pilatus PC-9 with this in some air forces?

I really doubt the Scorpion can get a contract in the States. But what about other countries? Maybe replacing Pilatus PC-9 with this in some air forces?

perhaps.  There is a market for that which is currently being filled by several trainer/light attack aircraft.  That will be a tough market though, IMHO. 

As any shopping trip to Walmart will prove, competition at the low-end of any market is fierce.