Hauksbee

The farmer wants his field back...

Isn't it about time we declared this airfield defunct?

abandoned-nissen-hut.jpg

Where is that, Hauksbee - is it a WW2 field?

Can't be real...I don't see any fences

:angel:

Where is that, Hauksbee - is it a WW2 field?

It is a WWII field, somewhere in England. Don't know where. Photos weren't captioned very well.

DEFUNCT MY A**!!!

Maybe not, but this used to be a place of interesting discussions. Since the release of WOFF it's like staring at a blank wall. Edited by Hauksbee

...this used to be a place of interesting discussions. Since the release of WOFF it's like staring at a blank wall.

Yes, and I miss it too.

After all it wouldn't be too difficult to visit two places - SimHQ AND CombatAce IMHO.

But in both places there isn't that much going on.

Maybe the spring attracts everyone to be out more?

I'm busy experiencing WOFF since I was late to the party ^.^

Kind regards,

Dave

Have fun, Dave - I also came a bit later, and my experiencing will sure take a LOT more time still.

Have fun, Dave - I also came a bit later, and my experiencing will sure take a LOT more time still.

Thanks my friend, you as well!  After the shambles I made of my EIII entry into RR's mini-campaign over on SimHQ I need a quiet sector of the front to get a new pilot going.  Since I had really enjoyed our times in Jasta 6 (OFF) I may re-explore that as I love the variety of aircraft (especially the Albatrossi).

Kind regards,

Dave

If you need a quiet sector, why not also a beautiful one - you could fly down in Alsace-Lorraine.

That was never a hot spot in that war, and the lanscape is wonderful.

Buhl is nice, for example.

This interactive website may help you to decide about place, squadron and time.

You can search by date, squadron or airfield.

When you move the cursor over an airfield marking, you'll see which sqdn was there, and when.

http://patriot.net/~townsend/WW1AirMap2/

Edited by Olham

We have been trying to keep it alive for some time hoping more people would come back (as they said they would when WOFF would be released), but it looks like it's not happening... the few posts here are now only copies of what's already been posted on the other forum.

There are many remains of WW2 airfield in England - more than I had thought.

Here is a site with some great pics of still standing buildings:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/5550986?comment_page=1&photo_page=1

Corsaire, you're right; I post at both places. My output isn't so high anymore,

that I could have different things in each place - I guess I have shot most of

my powder in over 15.000 posts here.

I'm AWOL a lot these days. I'm still trying to climb out the bomb crater created by the credit crunch. It's quite fair to say that's been a life changing event.

Will I be back to normal? I don't know. Maybe. But I'll never be the same.

I'm not even a WOFFicer yet.

My output isn't so high anymore,that I could have different things in each place - I guess I have shot most of

my powder in over 15.000 posts here.

I don't think it would be an overstatement to say that you were the main driving force in this site; always posting interesting snippets of information, leads to new photo collections, comparisons between old WWI airfields and their appearance today, etc. (and that's a big "etc.") The traffic used to slow noticeably each time you went home on vacation.

I agree with Hauksbee, Olham.  You always post some excellent reads.  RAFLouvert and Bullethead were also major contributors.  Like Flyby PC, and Olham, my own real-life has changed a bit since I joined here in 2009; job changes, family life changes, grad school on hold, and even gaming interests have changed somewhat----- all that contributes to lack of posting time for me (I'd rather be playing than posting tbh) besides, I'm not all that prolific anyway lol.  Cheers all!

Thank you, guys. Yeah, I know I had quite a long run, and RAF_Louvert, Dej and Bullethead too.

(Bullethead, come back, man - I know I stepped on your toes, but 'm sure you can take that!)

There were many others, who made at least very good occasional contributions, like Womenfly2,

JFM or Widowmaker - many more actually.

Flyby, don't get bitter; carry on as good as you can.

The crunch wasn't your fault, and it had to happen sooner or later. It isn't even over yet.

And the bankers speculate on and on - no brakes installed...

I still stop in from time-to-time but RL has kept me away from not only this forum but WOFF/OFF as well.  I did just have a week off and have been able to get in some excellent stick time in the EIII challenge that was started in the SimHQ forum.  But apart from that what little free time I've had has gone towards working on my Flanders map project.  I too find it sad that our old home drome here has become nearly abandoned.  I did try to spark some renewed interest around our old digs right after WOFF was released by posting a new edition of the BOC Illustrated News and reposting the original BOC Club roster and such, but it seems the glory days have indeed passed us by.

Ah well, c'est la vie mes amis.

I check in every day and am glad of the few that are still here. I have never been a big poster. I do read most all the post every day. I hope we see everyone return but it may be that many have moved on. I too wonder WHERE Bullethead is?

I'm not bitter Olham. But switching it off and back on again hasn't fixed my business. The whole landscape has changed, and a lot of good people who knew what they were doing have changed careers to be replaced by career idiots. I don't think things are going to correct themselves. The recovery people are waiting for is already here, but the new normal is a bleached landscape compared to what went before.

People in power are trying to kick start the engines that got us into trouble in the first place. It isn't going to work. They are blind to the world I see.

The politics locally here in Scotland, have focused the mind, and convinced me just how fundamental the changes need to be. I'm hanging on, preying it happens, because that's where all my hopes have a future. No change means more of the same. Life in Mordor. Fallout 4 set in Scotland...

Be patient world. On Sept 18th, the lights might come on in Scotland, and whatever anybody tells you otherwise, especially on the BBC, that's a good thing for all of us; you, me, all of us.

I'm sorry too to admin. Politics is a no-go subject. Feel free to delete or edit as you see fit.

Edited by Flyby PC

I look around the field every day but for me too life has changed. I still get to fly OFF ocassionaly but not as often as I'd like. Can't afford to upgrade the rig for WOFF yet - still rebuilding my business after my illness and that's a long uphill struggle. It will all come good in the end. Even though I'm not a frequent poster here, I'd still miss it if I didn't drop in.

I am playing both Games. WOFF still has some visual bugs and it's stuttering, even after 22 Patches. And I am playing with a very powerful Machine...So from time to time I am often going back to OFF and I enjoy the smooth Gameplay and the much better looking Scenery IMO. And of course my Sound Mod, which I have updated and I am still working on some Samples today! I like this kind of Modding. I am actually working on a Sound Mod for WOFF too, but I think this Project will need a lot of time.

Don't get me wrong, I love WOFF and I am collecting everything I can get for it, the Mods, the Patches and the Add-On Packs. And I hope some Day, maybe with some Final Patch, the bugs will be erased and the Game will run smoothly and fine like OFF.

...from time to time I am often going back to OFF and I enjoy the smooth Gameplay and the much better looking Scenery IMO.

Well, the scenery in OFF sure DID look good.

But then it was also a bit like a phantasy landscape; a kind of  'Shire'.

I loved it too, but the new landscape is much more northern France - and still wonderfully special.

Edited by Olham

Andy73 there's no secret bug in WOFF for 'stuttering' that one day we will magically fix. So we can't "fix" it.   PC's and their drivers, hardware and software and graphic settings vary greatly and obviously you need to find the sweet spot on your particular setup.  See the FAQ for eliminating and improving performance - there are also tips from people in the technical section on the forum at SimHQ.

Olham I think you mean "OFF" in your comment?

Edited by Polovski

I am playing both Games. WOFF still has some visual bugs and it's stuttering, even after 22 Patches. And I am playing with a very powerful Machine...So from time to time I am often going back to OFF and I enjoy the smooth Gameplay and the much better looking Scenery IMO. And of course my Sound Mod, which I have updated and I am still working on some Samples today! I like this kind of Modding. I am actually working on a Sound Mod for WOFF too, but I think this Project will need a lot of time.

Don't get me wrong, I love WOFF and I am collecting everything I can get for it, the Mods, the Patches and the Add-On Packs. And I hope some Day, maybe with some Final Patch, the bugs will be erased and the Game will run smoothly and fine like OFF.

Can't remember having any stuttering, running 54455 between 50 and 60 fps very smoothly with Ankor's self shadowing mod and ENB as far as I'm concerned. My PC is up to date but not "very powerful".

For me the new impressive AI and the fact your wingmen don't go a couple of miles away every time you turn are the main positive points of WOFF. Scenery is a matter of personal taste.

Edited by corsaire31

Olham I think you mean "OFF" in your comment?

Damn - yes, sure I meant OFF - corrected that; thanks Pol!