Hey,

I'd like to change the sound of the engine in dry thrust or 100% military power (no afterburner). The file that needs to be changed is called JetEngine in the sound folder. The default sound is just lame. I have a hairdryer that makes an even more impressive sound. In real life the full mil power sounds of a jet engine really screams. And then, when the throttle is pushed even further you have the added rumble and decibels of an afterburner. I found no existing mods for the dry non afterburning sounds.

I'm a sound tech myself and could make some sounds myself. I tried something but I can't seem to make it work for the SF2 series. For the clarity. I want to change the JetEngine file in the soundfolder. When I make a new sound and name it 'JetEngine' it doesn't seem to work. I changed the sounds of sims like Falcon, MSFS in the past. But somehow this works different. How?

Can anyone help me out?

I've never made a sound file for SF but I always like to hear the engine noises on the add-on aircraft and then just change the name in the Aircraft_Data.ini to the one that takes my fancy.

It's all subjective and open to personal taste and interpretation but I find the Avon engine noise to be nice and screamy. 

Alternative stock engine noises are 'A4Engine' and 'F104Engine'.

I've never understood why Third Wire included 'F104Engine' and didn't use it for the F-4 Phantom.

Here is a collection of 226 different aircraft engines sounds from my various installs that you can take a look at, or I should say, a listen to.

Aircraft Engines Sounds.7z 

:biggrin:

KJ, next you'll say we should smell these colors!!

to the OP: yes, changing engine sounds is a simple text edit of the aircraft's data ini.

However, it WILL need to be extracted from the relevant ObjectData cat, and placed into the aircraft to be changed main folder

Alfia, Zipper J-79s don't sound even close to Rhino J-79s!!

Hey guys,

Again thank you all for your replies! And wow, thanks for the collection of sounds! That's really kind of you! I listened to them all. Some cool sounds. I picked some favourites and thinking of making a mix to create a truly powerful engine sound.

However, were do I find the "XXX(plane)_data.ini" file of a certain plane? Correct me when I'm wrong, or .... confirm when I'm right.

1. I go to the modfolder and copy my new sound to the main aircraft folder of the plane I want to change. Or can I put them in a general place for use of more than one plane?

2. I look (help, where?) for the "xxx(plane)_data.ini" and change line in the sound chapter. There I put the name of my new soundfile, right?

Any advice would be much appreciated, again.

wiwa, first go to the ThirdWire Tools and Utilities page and get the "CAT File Extractor for Strike Fighters 2 Apr 2012" you might as well grab the Weapons Editor and Guns Editor while you are at it.

Once installed they will appear in your ThirdWire Start menu folder under Utilities. You can then use the Strike Fighters 2 Extractor to extract the aircraft data files from the CAT files in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects" folder. It is a good Idea to have a separate folder to extract them into.

Here is my SF2 Mods Library where I save all the stuff I download for SF2, 240 GB right now... 

post-56847-0-84947200-1397491611_thumb.jpg

...and these are all of the CAT files after extraction.

post-56847-0-24904300-1397491622_thumb.jpg

As for the sound files, they go in your SF2 sound folder. This picture is from my SF2:Europe mods folder.

post-56847-0-63728800-1397491632.jpg

The engine sound needs to be in this folder and the aircraft data file's engine sound entry needs to match the file name it will be able to use it also the sound needs to be referenced in the SOUNDLIST.INI. I am not sure if the "sound list" step is needed just to hear the sound of the plane that you are flying in the cockpit. However you will need to change the data file of each aircraft individually if you want only certain aircraft to use the new sound. 

If you just want to replace the default sound so that all the aircraft used the old on use the new sound then just give your new sound the exact same file name as the default sound and place it into the sound folder and it will override the default sound for the new one.

While I was at it I found what I believe to be all of the stock aircraft data file for you plus the default SOUNDLIST.INI file.

Stock Aircraft Data Files.7z

editing the Sounds list for engines is not necessary; the Game Engine ™ will automatically pick them up

just drop them into the /Sounds folder, edit the data ini  and enjoy!

the "hard work" part is actually locating the damn data inis!!! they're scattered pretty much all over the place (just use the Extractor to explore the cats)

Some you can skip, as they contain nothing but decals

Edited by Wrench

Hey guys,

A little late..I know. KJakker,... Wow thanks for the great effort! I must admit I got discouraged because one of the folders you described was empty. Maybe something to do with the fact that I installed it to another location than the default location. But... The thing is. I made another engine sound file myself last week, Just renamed it "JetEnhine" but somehow the game didn't pick this up. So that's where I thought that more actions would be needed. Since Wrench told me that it should work this way I tried it again. And, i figured that the audio files have to be in mono, no stereo. So that was the problem. No I have a standard adapted sound file for almost all of the non afterburning planes.

I made a mixed file of a jet engine in idle and in full power. Then I changed the pitch because the game engine does change the engine sound in pitch to create the effect of powering up. That's just how the game works. You can use this fact to make a cool and very usable soundfile. The lowered pitch when in zero power setting is perfect for creating an idle sound, when powered op all the way to 70%(or 80% in the super sabre) you get a cool military power sound, including the sound of the whining, heard up close(cockpit) to the plane.

However, the game also mixes a short sound loop in all the planes when powering up which I think is not so cool. But it adds to the power of the sound, so it does its job. I don't know where that sound is located. Loved to change that as well. And for the A4 and Hunter aircraft it uses that loop as the main engine sound without the JetEngine soundfile. It gives a sence of power but like I said, I think is a rather short loop which isn't very inspiring.

But I'm satisfied with the sound I've made and in most of the stock planes it is a real improvement, including some of the mods like the Tornado, and Buccaneer. Most of the times the standard sound file used is the one of the engine in idle. Just swap it for something more powerfull. What do I do when somebody wants to use that file as well?

Yes I know, I'm a bit of a sound freak...

I'll bet objectdata002.cat (the locked one, with all the lods)