Sign in to follow this  
Chutedangle

What Exactly Does Merge Mean?

I just bought Strike Fighters 2 Europe. 

I already have SF2 Israel. Why would I want to merge them when I install

Europe? Are they better as two separate programs or is there an advantage

to merging them?

Thanks...

merge them and run sf2 Europe game and use all terrains and aircraft etc of any games merged with it

Now you can, i.e. use the Shahak cockpit to make the french Mirage3C flyable. And perhaps you have the Egyptian Camo for the F-4E(72)

it will usually merge unless you deliberately put them in seperate folders.

unless you are doing mod testing, not much point to having seperate installs of the stock games.  even then, you generally have a set of seperate installs and a merged to see differences in skins sets or available items

and as roussok and macelena said, when merged you can use everything per the versions you own. my main bit is flying in europe for USAFE/ ANG. but i do enjoy some carrier action, and have all others (full 5 merge plus both expansion packs) just for the things they add to SF2E

Edited by daddyairplanes

let's get this straightened out once and for all.

When each of the 5 games (included the 2 expansion packs) are installed, the total of 'core files' -- not counting the executables are merged within each other.

This can be easily seen by examining the folders and files WITHIN the C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2. One will quickly see there is only one set of dlls, and the various cat files used for all of them. One can expand this into included the DLCs available for purchase, but they reside within their own subfolder of the main "core install". OTH, the DLCs DO interact when installed with all the other program files.

So, in essence:

Each of the 5 games (7 counting the 2 expansion packs) have their own executables ...

Which means each of the 5 (or 7) games all create their OWN mod folders when the exe is run.

Within each of those mod folders, if one were to open the various sub-folders of the main /Objects folder, and study the contents therein (which is HIGHLY suggested for everyone), one will find EVERYTHING from ALL 5 (or 7) games readily available in ALL of them.

The only things NOT created in the mods folder during install/running build -remember, we're talking STOCK with nothing added- is the /Terrains subfolder. The game engine ™ automatically sees all the terrain cats, making them readily available in each separate mods folder.

This why user lists for Objects, and 'limited nations' statements in (add-on) terrains are so critical for correct operations. That's a subject for another day (and covered in the KB, btw)

EVERYTHING within the various cats and dlls are used by the separate exes -- which is why you see only ONE core set of these files.

In truth, 'merged' may be an incorrect term. The install programs, and the various exes automatically merge themselves together during installation -just watch the progress window when installing a new game or DLC; you'll all the same core files being updated-, effectively creating a (somewhat) seamless integration of all the required bits needed to run the games.

Think of the 5 (or 7) exes as separate games, sharing  common core files; which is EXACTLY what they are.

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

Thank you all...

And thank you Wrench, I knew someone would come and explain this so even

a dork, such as myself, could understand. I can now see that they are indeed

separate games which are sharing planes, terrains, ect.

Thanks again...ya gotta love this website... :air_kiss:

my pleasure! :biggrin:

I only use 2 mebbe 3 games Europe(base for most add ons I run) Vietnam and NA...deleted loads to save space,merge allows me to do that fly all 3 from one mod shortcut.

Edited by russouk2004