macelena

Moroccan Air Force in the Yom Kippur War?

Copied from the RMAF site at wikipedia:

During the Yom Kippur War a Squadron of Moroccan Air Force Northrop F-5A joined the Egyptian 69 Squadron at Tanta on 19 October 1973. At least 14 MiG-17sand also around a dozen of F-5As were deployed. The F-5As arrived after a lengthy trip, via Tunis and Libya, accompanied by Lockheed C-130 Hercules transports that carried spare parts, weapons, and equipment. Moroccans started flying tasked with CAP missions over the Nile Delta. In January 1974 two F-5As armed withAIM-9B and 20mm cannons, intercepted a pair of IAF Mirage IIICs on a reconnaissance mission. As the Israelis turned away once the F-5As became evident, dragging both RMAFs fighters behind them, concerned about a possible ambush by IAFs F-4E Phantom IIs the EAF mission control ordered both Moroccan Fighters to return, replacing them by two EAF MiG-21MFs.[1]

Surprisingly,it is the first time i hear of that, can anyone confirm or give some leads on that?

Also heard that, but can't rmemeber the source now.

first time hearing it, but given all the loans for Pakistan vs India,  would not suprise me

First i've heard also .. very very interesting!  Do we know If any combat with F-5a(s) ensued?

first time I hear about it too.. doesn't make sense to me

Perhaps they were kept tight during the 1973 War to prevent losses. I don´t think they would have stood a chance against those Shahaks in 1974 either. Also, those numbers would have meant a very significant portion of the RMAF back then. Perhaps some Moroccan particular feels like inflating their exploits towards the Arab cause, wich explains so much detail for an incident free interception. Moreover, the reference quoted leads to a 404ed page. However, i guess there must be some basis for those claims, even if exaggerated.

The MiG-17s mentioned, are they Egyptian or Moroccan? Because I could believe Morocco deploying those. They could have been painted in EAF markings which would explain why we've never heard reports from the Israelis of RMAF MiGs.

The F-5s I have trouble believing. Wouldn't an Egyptian or Israeli source have reported this by now? An F-5 would have really stood out. That incident is also way too descriptive.

The MiG-17s were probably Egyptians, because Morocco received shortly after its independence 12 MiG-17 and 2 MiG-15UTI from the Soviet Union to equip its only fighter Squadron and these were grounded in 1963 following a border conflict with Algeria.

Regarding the F-5As, Morocco had 10 F-5A and 2 F-5B from the first contract in 1966. Additional to this first lot of 12 aircrafts, 6 new Northrop F-5A, 1 former USAF F-5A, 2 RF-5A reconnaissance aircrafts and 2 additional F-5B followed till 1971. But till 1976 that US goverment give authorization to Iran to supply six Northrop F-5A, that was all.

F-5Es and Mirages didn't arrive till 80s. If they sent 12 fighters to Egypt, they had only 11 to defend the country.

It is not clear if the Squadron of Freedom Fighters participated to the October war 1973 between Egypt and Israel because they had some restrictions to employ american equipment. Some sources state that there were not enough crew available due to the recent coup against the King Hassan II. Others that a flight was transferred to Egypt but participated only in air to air patrols behind the war lines and didn't see any fight.