Sign in to follow this  

I can't seem to get anti-radiation missiles to work properly. Be it shrikes or standard arms, they just wont track. I wait till my rwr is beeping away with a radar at 12 o'clock only a few miles ahead and fire......and it flies straight and never homes in. I'm not even trying to fire them far away or during crazy maneuvering. I thought ARMs home in on radar sources, why aren't they tracking? 

You have to 'designate' the ground radar as a ground target, Unless I'm reading your post wrong? Are you getting a Lock before you shoot?

I didn't think you had to designate it. You don't have to for IRMs, and AHM/SAHM require radar lock but not designation. Also I'm having issues with ground target designation. I can light up any aircraft nearby, but ground targets are a pain to designate, even if I am right on top of them and they show on the map. Is there a way to change this? 

the problem with this missiles is that they only work in a certain bandwidth and as long as they have a lock on to the target and dont forget that the missile seeker has only a certain range

AGM-45A - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=12.000000

AGM-45B - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=12.000000

AGM-78D - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=20.000000

AGM-88A - MinFreq = 5.000000 / MaxFreq=20.000000

AGM-88B - MinFreq = 5.000000 / MaxFreq=20.000000

AGM-88 BlockIIIB - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=40.000000

AGM-88C - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=30.000000

AGM-88D - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=40.000000

AGM-88E - MinFreq = 2.000000 / MaxFreq=40.000000

Edited by ravenclaw_007

With ARM-s it is not necessary to designate, but can help in certain conditions. Also while employing these type of missiles, try to direct the plane in the general direction of the source locked on to you, this means also a bit angled down. If you fly 15kft level then the missile will have hard time to lock onto your foe even if you are 3-4 miles close. These missiles also have a minimum launch range, don't forget that. I found them better working from medium distances 6-20 miles, Standard can manage from greater distances, but those give me trouble too.

In short, try employing it as a large sized unguided missile, aim the area and release while locked on or launched at by the given site.

In the knowledge base there is a weapons delivery manual, it is a good and useful read.

Can anyone direct me to the weapons delivery manual?

1. turn towards the radar that has locked on to you

2. fire missile if you are in range

3. missile should hit the target

-

post-15260-0-57940800-1399221321_thumb.jpg

post-15260-0-57591700-1399221373_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, check out the E6B computer; I liked it so much I ended up buying one even though it's of (very) limited use in SF. It reminded me of Dr. Strangeloves' circular slide rule in the movie of the same name.

1. turn towards the radar that has locked on to you

2. fire missile if you are in range

3. missile should hit the target

-

What range are you at? That never works for me. Also that's not a radar its a launcher, how is it homing? 

If I need to designate targets that's fine but then I have another problem, in SF2 for whatever reason designating ground targets is far more hit or miss than in SF1. Even if its a mission where I have to strike a particular asset I rarely can light it up until after I have passed it closely. Classing taccom for a vector doesn't help illuminate it either like it does for hostile aircraft. Runways and such are fine, follow the waypoint and hit that runway, but if its a bunker, which one? Or if its SEAD and I have mavericks I have to risk ground fire just to get the targets to designate, all the while i'm furiously mashing on e and r trying to pull them up. 

Is there a setting where I can adjust this? 

Selecting target with the E key is regulated by the object's lod distance setting in each ground object's main .ini file. And there is also a priority programed into the game with E key if you have multiple objects in that given area. It will first select nerby AD units, then other ground targets so instead of varying between E and R, you might have to press E more to get the correct ground target for mavericks or bombs.

Infantry usually shows up from 2-3,5miles unless they are primary targets. Armored stuff usually shows from 5-9miles if primary can be shown from 10-16miles. 

If a SAM launches at you, press R and you will see it right away, regardless of distance. You can get nailed by SA-5s from as far as 60miles or more. In this case better to avoid the incoming missile than try to get in launch parameters with your shrikes or early harms. Standards might can kick in the ball but that will need luck too from that distance.

Ravenclaw's pic is "correct", in this game the missile most of the times will go for the launcher not the radar. Remember most new SAM are able to lock and track you if you are inside its sensor parameters. I think he was around 10-12miles - but my guess can be wrong.

Bunkers should show with the E key if primary targets and you are inside 20 miles. If you are uncertain or just spending leftovers from a mission then just carpet bomb, one will hit the right one.