dtmdragon

Best font for USAF serial numbers/ squadron letters?

Hay guys,

What is the best font to use for USAF style serial numbers and squadron letters?

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by dtmdragon

I use USAAF Stencil. Will shoot it to ya in PM in around an hour or so (am on my tablet right this second)

Amrillo USAF

works for USN as well, from WW2 to present). Can also be used for WW2 AAF, depending on where (some theatres - SWP- used a slightly different font, USAAF Code)

Yep, Wrench totally has it right - that's what you want to use!  :biggrin:

Thank you for the correction sir. It was getting annoying filling the lines in the stencils, but it was also on hand for me.

if it's really wanted, I can upload all 3 fonts to the /Templates section

Amrillo USAF

USAAF Code

USAAF Stencil

I still have my zips archived, as for some unknowable reason, I can't log into simmerspaintshop.com to get to ANYTHING!! fonts or color swatch or whathaveyous

the particulars are, AAF Code was used a lot in SoWestPacific (New Guinia, Sololmons) for plane-in-squadron letters/numbers. I haven't seen in used for ETO or MTO markings in any of my researches.

Amrillo  used for serials, as is the Stencil. One needs to consult photos/profiles as it really DID vary from squadron to squadron

If one uses Amrillo USAF, you can be 95% sure is damn close, no matter where or when.

Now, the nightmares are IJN and IJAAF fonts; to say nothing of some of the Luftwaffe outlined letters...never that good at them! :(

Edited by Wrench