RAF_Louvert

WOFF Flanders Map is ready for all you navigators

Well, it's been nearly three months since I started work on this project but it is at long last ready for you folks to give it a go, (it would have gone quicker but RL kept getting in the way). I will be packaging it up and sending it to Pol for posting in the download section on the WOFF website but before I do that I'd like you navigators to have a crack at it first. Keep in mind that while the CFS3 landscape is quite accurate in terms of roads, railways, and coastlines, it is hit-and-miss when it comes to location of cities and towns. Some are correct but many are off by a few kilometers. Rivers and forests are even worse. This map is going to show all such errors as it was built from an in-sim photo recce of the entire area. So please, don't point out that Armentières is 5km too far to the north or that Tournai is 7km too far to the east. It is what it is and the devs have noted numerous times that trying to correct these placement errors is a gargantuan task and not one they wish to take on any time soon, (if ever). It is because of these very errors that I launched into this mapping project in the first place so that we might have charts accurate to the WOFF WWI landscape, warts and all.

I should also mention that I have denoted historical landmarks and points of interest on the map that are not actually in the sim differently from those that are so as to avoid confusion. If there are other such historical landmarks not currently on the map that you would like to see added let me know what they might be and I will look into including them before sending this along to Pol.

Alrighty then, here it is. You can right-click on the image and open it up full size in a new window if your browser is being difficult. 

WOFF_Flanders_Map_Update_001.jpg

Happy Navigating!

Lou

(NOTE: Updated image added 5-17-2014)

Edited by RAF_Louvert
  • Like 2

Thanx, Lou. This may be just what I needed to get into WOFF on a campaign basis. I was so disappointed in the town misplacement that I gave up. What I don't, and won't, understand is that the towns were perfectly placed in OFF for navigating by Rabu's maps. I did it all the time. The only thing needed was some river and forest tweaking.

Bravo!  A beautiful piece of work.  I will make great use of this to know exactly how lost I am!

Stupendous Louvert! A very nice, very clear map for navigation. A huge amount of work. I will certainly use it, many thanks! I guess the download version will be printable?

B.

Edited by Bletchley

Many thanks Gents, glad you like it.

Bletchley, I can easily build a printable version, just keep in mind that the map I've posted here is about 53" x 48", (and that is reduced to 60% of my original working map).  It would be best to go to a 60" x 55" size for ease in cutting it up evenly into printable sheets.  Figuring 8.5" x 11" paper and allowing a minimum of 1/2" for the usual border most printers have to leave around the edges you end up at 6 sheets across and 8 sheets top-to-bottom.  After trimming and assembly it would make a lovely and highly functional wallpaper.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Thanks Louvert.  That's excellent.  I've just started operations from Bailleul so this is particularly timely.

Your the man Lou thanks for all your hard work.  I may try my hand at nav now.  Even with a good map I'm still lost,  Thanks again for your fine effort,  You are truely a Gentleman and a Scholar

Thanks and Happy Hunting over Flanders John

My pleasure, John.  I just sent the zip file to Pol so that he can add it to the download section at the WOFF website.  The zip contains the full map along with a printable version.  I made a couple of minor tweaks to the map this AM and just updated the image in the first post of this thread so you'll want to grab that one.

Enjoy!

Lou

Thanx, Lou. This may be just what I needed to get into WOFF on a campaign basis. I was so disappointed in the town misplacement that I gave up. What I don't, and won't, understand is that the towns were perfectly placed in OFF for navigating by Rabu's maps. I did it all the time. The only thing needed was some river and forest tweaking.

Have you tried Nibbo's map update available on the WOFF download page?  New WOFF inFlight Map by Nibbio

I tried it after I found the place I had grown up (Southend on sea, Essex) had mysteriously moved about 20 miles inland.   It's not perfect, but better. 

Nibbio's in-sim map is a marked improvement over the stock offering and I switched to his right after he released it.  I seldom use the in-sim map but when I do Nibbio's is definitely the way to go.

I know flying with a paper map is not for everyone however I do recommend folks give it a go at some point.  If you've never tried it you may be surprised just how much more immersive it really is.

Nibbio's in-sim map is a marked improvement over the stock offering and I switched to his right after he released it.  I seldom use the in-sim map but when I do Nibbio's is definitely the way to go.

I know flying with a paper map is not for everyone however I do recommend folks give it a go at some point.  If you've never tried it you may be surprised just how much more immersive it really is.

I am definitely going to give it a go.  But to be really immersive you need a big fan that will whip the map out of your hands :blink:

Stirling work Lou..... just makes me wanna fly with no Boche in the air...so i can go and meet the boys at another airfield, and sup a few Old Speckled Hen's!!!