Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: A new addition to my collection

I've just added the following to my assembly of WWI trinkets:

KUK_Luftfahrtruppe_1916_Cap_Badge_001.jp

These unofficial cap badges were sold yearly as fund-raising items throughout the German and Austrian-Hungarian empires during the Great War. There were literally hundreds of versions representing the many different units of the armies, navies, and air forces. They were worn by civilians and military members alike, with the former displaying them in support of family members and friends serving in specific units, and the latter using them to show the different units they'd been assigned to during their stint in service. This particular example from 1916 is for the KUK Luftfahrtruppe, the air force wing of the army of Austria-Hungary. It is quite rare and is in beautiful condition and now resides in my own little collection of Great War aviation items.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Like 1

Very cool. Your right, it appears to be in excellent condition. Is it silver?

Very Nice!

Lou, do you have a place on the web where all of your collection is displayed?

pcpilot, I believe it is a silver plated pressed metal of some kind.  It appears pressed from the back but it is heavier than expected.

MudWasp48, I do not have them displayed on the web but I have been asked about that before so perhaps I will have to do that one of these days.

And very similar to the 'albatross' badge worn on both shoulders by airmen which I was for 7 years.   Strangely enough, on both shoulders the albatross faced backwards, most likely 'checking our six' for the Station Warrant Officer.  (The SWO's and other WO's actually ran the RAF of course) :biggrin: