Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

What aircraft do I need to add to stretch my stock game to 1983?

I have a "mostly stock-ish" install that includes all titles merged.  I've added a few key aircraft that fit into that time period that were not included in the stock game, but not much else.  This last weekend, I got a real hankerin' to fly an F/A-18 in my SF2 install.  So I started brainstorming what I would need to add to my install to stretch the game up to 1983 when the F-18 was introduced.  Keep in mind, I'm not looking for every single aircraft that was active at that time; just additional variants of the aircraft in the stock game, and maybe the "key players" that were introduced in the early 80's.  Here's the list I have so far (found most of these in the downloads section already):

F/A-18A

MiG-29A

F-4S

F-4G

F-15C

A-4M

Tornado GR1

My install already includes the F-16A and F-111's.

And now I need your help:

1)  Are there any aircraft I'm missing?  I have a very US-centric focus, and I'm fine with that.

2)  What about the MiG-23 and MiG-21?  Were there variants added between 1979 and 1983 that I need to try to find and add?

Thanks!

The F-4N was still in use also, mainly Reserves but also with VF-151 and 161, as it handled better flying off the Midway.

The Thud was still in use with Georgia ANG (Weasels) and a Reserve unit at Hill AFB ( D models)

I seem to recall skin packs for TMFs A-7D, Thud in ANG use, and the DLC F-4N released recently.....

More shameless plugging, you'll want Some Hercs for eye candy round the ramp too

all the Fishbeds and Floggers you'll ever need are already stock in game

Add Mirage F1 and 2000 (it's a little later : 1984)

Both good to play or as "agressors" :

Irak vs Iran / Western coalitions ..

Su-24 (mainly as agressor)

Mig-25

Thanks guys.

I have downloaded and prepped the following to be added to a test install:

A-4M

F-4G

F-4S

F-15C

FA-18A

MiG-29A

SU-17 (up through M4)

SU-24 (up through M)

SU-25

Tornado GR1

I decided to pass on the F-4N, since it looks like it is just a B upgraded to J, and the stock game already has the J.  A lot of these came in big packs, so I had to go through the loadout.ini's and grab just the weapons needed for the variants I wanted to install.  As a result, I'll have to test these out quite a bit to make sure I got everything I need.

This will give me a nice mid-80's scenario to play around with.

Your choice. However the N is not upgraded to J standard. It was upgraded under project BEELINE to strengthen the airframes, make common many upgrades applied to parts of the fleet here and there, and in general refurbish wear and tear caused by combat flying in Nam. The S was actually a similar program to extend the life of the Js when Tomcats werent being delivered as fast as they wanted

Your choice. However the N is not upgraded to J standard. It was upgraded under project BEELINE to strengthen the airframes, make common many upgrades applied to parts of the fleet here and there, and in general refurbish wear and tear caused by combat flying in Nam. The S was actually a similar program to extend the life of the Js when Tomcats werent being delivered as fast as they wanted

Well maybe I will add them too if I have time.  Any thoughts on if I should buy the DLC F-4N or use the latest N in the downloads section here at CA?

I've also added MiG-25P/PD's to my list.  As with any SF2 mini-project, scope creep is now in full force, and the project is becoming less "mini" by the minute!

Buy the DLC. And thats from a guy who's cheap and bashes most DLC as being better here for free at CA. Just for decm on the model (not fake pilot added.) And slotted stabs its worth it. Add my skin pack and you have every tactical user including skin for the Marine squadron that were tsked to provide top cover for Eagle Claw

Thanks DA.  I've added STORM's for now.  I'm feeling very cheap about all this.  Adding the 3rd party A-4L as well, instead of buying DLC.

Speaking of being cheap, I want to create my own F-8K vs buying the DLC.  Here's what I have:

Start with latest version of F-8C

Add in the engine from the F-8E

Add in the radar from the F-8J

Anything else?  What year did the F-8K enter service?  And when were they retired?  (can't find any of that on the internet)

Last Active Naval Saders (VF-191 and -194) were on the Oriskanys last cruise in 1976. Last Photosaders retired out of the Reserves in 87.

Last Active Naval Saders (VF-191 and -194) were on the Oriskanys last cruise in 1976. Last Photosaders retired out of the Reserves in 87.

Thanks.  Any idea when I should have the K enter service?

the Crusader Detail and Scale book says in December 68 they went in for the conversion to K models. So, call it 1969??? Maybe 1970, given how the Military-Industrial Complex ™ works.

It also says, no upgrade to the original radar (AN-AWG-3, with AN/APS-67 and EX-16 fire control), addition of 2 more wing pylons, as in the F-8E, and cockpit upgraded to F-8E standards.

Engine remained the J-57P-16 or 16B.

So, what I'd do, is reference the F-8E lod, F-8E cockpit, but keep the F-8C avionics ini. Using F-8E data ini, but down grad the engine to the C's. Use F-8E's loadout ini.

see why I have 1/3 of terabyte HD just full of books on pdf???? :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks Wrench.  I went ahead and created one based on your recommendations.  It took all of 5 minutes.  I just copied over all of the F-8E_66 skins, although I'm not sure if they are all accurate.  Anyone know which ones I should keep?

Interesting that wikipedia lists something totally different than what you got from your book (which is how I came up with my original proposed combination of F-8C/E/J), but I trust your F-8 book.

• F-8K – upgraded F-8C with Bullpup capability and J57-P-20A engines, with AN/APQ-125 radar. A total of 87 rebuilt.