Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

New Linen Skins For Steven1918's BE2c

New Linen Skins For Steven1918's BE2c

These are new BE2c skins made for the Palestine mod. To install, replace the existing five bmp files in the BE2cRAFLinen folder with these five new bmp files.

• Like 1

New clear doped fabric skins for Steven1918's BE2c.  These were developed primarily for the Palestine mod, but can be used for most any other theater or location.  Two shots below show experimental Max environment, based on some old CA terrain textures - I think they were from Eritrea.  Once the mod is done, I might make some hi-res terrain textures as a follow-up.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 2

Thank you for the skins Geezer, very nice, I downloaded them today. 

Just a quick comment about the layout of the BE2c airplane itself. What kind of idiot WW1 aircraft designer puts the pilot behind the gunner which just about completely obscures his view, and places the gunner almost under the trailing edge of the upper wing which greatly diminishes his arc of fire. I think the layout of the BE2c was ill conceived and it deserved to be shot down in droves.

Thank you for the skins Geezer, very nice, I downloaded them today. 

Just a quick comment about the layout of the BE2c airplane itself. What kind of idiot WW1 aircraft designer puts the pilot behind the gunner which just about completely obscures his view, and places the gunner almost under the trailing edge of the upper wing which greatly diminishes his arc of fire. I think the layout of the BE2c was ill conceived and it deserved to be shot down in droves.

Agreed - with 20/20 hindsight, the Royal Aircraft Factory designers do look like idiots.  The BE2 was a pretty good plane when it was first designed and built - before the war.  At that time, many other designs also placed the observer in the front cockpit.  But those other designers responded to the ever changing requirements of aerial warfare and moved the observer to the rear, plus developed fairly effective gun mounts for the observer to use.  But not the Royal Aircraft Factory.  They were "comfortable" building the BE2, and saw no good reason to change, despite the BE2 being almost helpless in combat.  That bureaucratic resistance to change cost the lives of hundreds of British airmen, and was a contributing factor to Bloody April in the spring of 1917.

Remember that the Be2c was designed for RECON, (most two seaters were.) It was a very stable platform which made it an excellent machine for aerial photography. Guns were added as an afterthought to give it some defense, but it was never intended to be a fighter.

Edited by Stephen1918