Sign in to follow this  
Centurion-1

Animating a "whip" type antenna to bend according to speed, how to?

So yeah, on the A-37B dragonfly there is a large "whip" type antenna that is straight when the plane is stationary but is bent backwards as the speed increases, I guess I could animate this with vertex animations and assign it to some kind of function (automatic highlift device or?). Any idea on how to set it up? Ideally I want the antenna to animate smoothly from 0 to maximum speed but it would be okay if the antenna bends backwards at some preset speed like 50kts.

Thanks!

I was gonna say slow moving prop so it wobble in flight, but like blackbirds idea better

And how does one do a vertex animation again? Haven't done those before so a bit of a help needed..

just assign euler controllers for vertex anims ? i think

Try This. Controlers set to 'TCB', Key Filters set to 'Modifiers' and here is a max file of the Antenna.

DATA:

SystemName[010]=Ant_Bend

[Ant_Bend]

SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE

DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_SPEED

Setting[1].Angle=40.0

Setting[1].DeployValue=50.0

Setting[1].RetractValue=00.0

MaxDeflection=40.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=2.0

ModelNodeName=Ant

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

AnimationID=7

post-300-0-85089200-1400783000_thumb.jpg

post-300-0-34975600-1400783009_thumb.jpg

ANT Test.zip

wtf?  is that ur test model a\c...wait till u see one i made lol..wherever I put it...hmmm

see its sorted....

I just had a thought, Could this work to make the wings of a large aircraft felx in a bank? Time for new wings on my 'Testbead Aircraft' :)

Holy SH!T It's the Bandit!

Cool effect RAVEN, by the way what kind of plane is that, some kind of animation test plane?

smokey-the-bandit-6.jpg

It's a A/C I just cobbled together for Animation testing, I just uploaded it to the Modders Roundtable.

Edited by RAVEN
  • Like 1

It's a A/C I just cobbled together for Animation testing, I just uploaded it to the Modders Roundtable.

Well I like the lines. It looks like a Mini me A-4 Skyhawk. Me thinks you should expand and finish it, looks very cool.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By nikmok
      problem assing controler key for all  thrust vector engines  in 3d max  IN CRVE EDITER OR ??

I want to know how to enter the key to all parties did not fix

What do I do

• By VonBeerhofen
      Next to the added control surface animations and added animations on groundobjects, I've managed to add two new animations, bulletholes and oil leak, and created the possibillity for 4 more to be used for other plane damage or whatever comes along.
      These are not really animations in the true sense of the word but more a state change of a textured polygon. Some of these animations can use multiple states making them a true animation, but most only use one or two states. The new ones only use a single state, so on or off, but their placement on the 3D models can be anywhere and for instance turn the front canopy into a partially blackened window with bulletholes, which will make it harder to see properly. It can also be used to blacken the engine area or cowlings, remove plating and show underlying struts or add tearing or cracks in the windshield, etc. 
      These animations work both inside as outside the plane but there are a few snags. First of all the cockpit can be switched on or off with a key pressure, unless this feature is disabled in the EAW.INI, but when switched off the animation is also switched off and you'll have a clear view inspite of the animation being active. A huge advantage is that the realtime event triggers for these animations have always been there already, so there's no additional cost to framerates.
      Ofcourse new plane and cockpit models have to be created which will use these animations, 30 planes is probably doable but it will take a long time to get them all working. Besides that none of the default cockpits have glass panels in them and adding them is another tough job which requires proper knowledge about the Rendering Sequence and the use of 3DZ parts. However I have a few new cockpits which do have glass panels already, so these are most likely to get these new animation codes first.
      I can't see any issues for the stock planes but I can't say how far it can be taken, they need sufficient room in their textures to add new drawings, plus new polygon overlays and possibly a recalculated R/S, which is always a pain. So further devellopment is on a plane to plane basis as there is no easy bulk solution yet, but there are a few old tricks I may be able to use.
      VonBeerhofen

• By GKABS
      Best 4 Minutes tutorial creating and texturing curved roads (Or Runway) in 3ds max

• By Viper63a
      Hey,

I read somewhere we can turn 3ds max files into something usable in SF2...I got some freeware downloads of some interesting crafts...so now what do/can I do with these?

=V=
    • By swambast
      Hi guys, question primarily intended for 3ds max users/modelers but feel free to contribute if you have an idea!

Assume we have an x-plane with a texture applied (two simple intersecting planes).  The game by default does not render shadowing nor catch shadowing using the plane primitives.  Also, depending on the lighting angle - one side of the plane’s texture may be “bright” while the other plane’s texture is dark.  Is there some way to apply a texture to the planes so that the texture “brightness” remains constant regardless of lighting?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..