MigBuster

Macdonalds burgers unfit for human consumption

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/04/hamburger-chef-jamie-oliver-proves-mcdonalds-burgers-unfit-human-consumption.html

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has won his long-fought battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world – McDonalds. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise finally announced that it will change its recipe, and yet there was barely a peep about this in the mainstream, corporate media.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption. According to the chef and hamburger enthusiast, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry, “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver famously coined this the “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” Oliver asked.

In one of his colorful demonstrations, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

In reply to all of the bad press this process has received from Oliver, the company Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager for McDonalds in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in their region. The same, it should  be noted, applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.In the United States, however, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Most disturbing of all is the horrifying fact that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products. But if “pink slime” was really the “best quality” that McDonalds can muster in the US, then why were they able do better in Latin America and Europe? More to the point, why can they apparently do better now in the United States?

These questions remains unanswered by the franchise which has denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

McDeath,   Mmm-mmm.   "I'm Lovin' It"

Plus, there were scandals of McDonalds importing GMO food into their European franchise, which is against Euro laws...

Don't think I'm going back to McDonals again, I'm in Europe and I feel sick just by thinking what did I eat last time I went there!

there is a lot of "exaggeration" in that article. remember Chlorine  is deadly to drink yet they treat water with it. The Ammonia in the beef(well it just passes through ) is used to kill bacteria and not as an ingredient and is in such a tiny amount as to be safe. Drink 2 gallons of water too fast and you will die. the substance sometimes is less of an issue than the dose. there are so many ingredients we use in food that if taken in large doses will kill you. All of this is a moot point since the "Pink slime" that made up a small part of the meat is not even used anymore.you are at a far greater health risk from the fat in the burger than from anything mentioned in that hit piece.

Oliver repeatedly explained to the public, over several years – in documentaries, television shows and interviews – that the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption....

I find this statement to be misleading.  A raw chicken breast is also unfit for human consumption before it goes through "additional processing" to remove microbial agents (ie - heating to 160 degrees F).  In other words, the fact that it is "unfit for human consumption without additional processing" means nothing to me, because the same could be said of much of the food we eat when it's in it's raw form.

I'm with Whiteknight.  Not really worried about it.

Edited by malibu43
  • Like 1

the reason that meat was unfit for human consumption is that it was unrecoverable in a safe manner before. The new technique allows meat that was unrecoverable for anything other fertilizer to be recovered(less waste) because it is a processed product is susceptible to bacterial contamination...that is why the food is treated with the ammonia...to kill the bacteria. It's very misleading and done intentionally to scare people away from eating meat. That is usually the goal of the groups that put this stuff out.no one can argue that eating a ton of processed foods is good for you but if people use their brains and exercise moderation in eating any foods that are high in fats and salts then there is no worries. If you took grass fed organic beef and made a Quater Pounder with cheese it would be no better or worse health wise. It would taste better but that is a different argument.

Let's get on to a more important topic. What in the name of all that's holy have they done to eff up the filet o fish? The one thing at McD's that I used to like to eat. It wasn't bad enough that they've shrunk it to the size of a credit card, but good Christ what have they done to it now? It looks, feels and tastes like cheap fish sticks.

The assumption there's fish in there is probably not correct, it's fish flavored. 

The forever controversial McDonald's...

Well since I remember, not many years after it appeared in Portugal, a lot of cons and 'bad mouthing' also started.

(As it's an old fashion with every fast-food nowadays.)

Everyone knows it's not the most healthy thing, to frequently eat tons of fried potatoes with tons of salt and a lot of hamburguers.

So, actually I don't really know to which degree the products & doses used on their processing are harmful.

We also have KFC, Burger King, Burger Ranch, Joshua's Shoarma, Pizza Hut, etc... but everytime some news channel decides to repeat some nutrition documentary about fast-foods, guess who's their prime (and frequently the only) target : McDonalds.

However, they still doing a lot of money here.

Personally I love their hamburguers - McRoyal Deluxe, Big Tasty, etc. as my favourites.

"Quarter pounder with cheese", I believe it must be "McRoyal Cheese" here... the one with the double Cheedar cheese slices ?    :biggrin:

• Like 1

I have not touched anything from McGaggers in almost 20 years, nor from BK, KFC, Wendy's or any of them. I have never eaten: Taco Bell, Carl's Jr., Sonic, In and Out, or Jack in the Crack. That garbage is poison disguised as food.

I love how in the commercials they show all of these young, in shape modelesque people chowing down on their rat meat and when you go into any real McDonalds, all you see are disgusting overweight slobs. And my little boy loves Happy Meals. So once every two weeks I take him to get one. He likes the TV commercials that are geared toward suckering kids into the rat trap. I honestly believe that they should change the first amendment to make it illegal for people to advertise and promote things that they absolutely know will harm people. McDonalds touts itself as a friggin healthy place to eat for kids. It's criminal in my mind.

A new study came out recently about the U.S. military. It seems that less and less people are going in. And while that's not really a problem in my eyes, it is the reason that they aren't going in that bothers me. It seems that record numbers of youth are being turned away due to their weight. And now.....record numbers are being turned away because of low test scores. America is getting fat and lazy. Tsk Tsk. Shame on all of these people capitalizing on harming others.  

So McDonalds is unfit for consumtion for many many reasons. Not just the ones stated in this thread. It's garbage.

Edited by Marlatt