Sign in to follow this  
Olham

The DiD Campaign Revival - Rules & Reports

Another question;   .    Why am I able to take screenshots when I'm in the sim flying, but not of my Pilot's log book?

Do I need a third party program like Fraps?

Do "Ctrl+alt+del" to get to windows desktop and then launch the "Snipping tool" in the windows accessories folder. This is what I use

Diary of Algernon Didsworthy

Tuesday 6th June 1916

Have arrived at my squadron in the afternoon to shocking news.  Lord Kitchener has been lost at sea!  This is a terrible day for the British war effort, but we will not falter!

My squadron is a modest concern with 9 machines,  My officer and observer is Captain Lucas Belden, an Essex man with a lot of experience.  No doubt I shall have plenty soon as we are only just to the north of the push which began on the Somme area last week.  You can hear the guns from here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combat report. Sgt Didsworthy 13 Squadron RFC  7th June 1916

B Flight to attack railyard at Athies Junction with 25lb Cooper bombs.

06:15 Took off from Savy.  Climbed to 4000' before flying east along the St Pol to Arras rail line.  Crossed lines North of Arras, observing shelling north of Arras at 06:45.

Rounded Oppy to attack railyard from ENE.  07:00 Released bombs and pulled south.  Observed explosions among buildings south of rail line.  Returned across Arras.

07:10  Observed 2 EA single seat monoplanes over Mont St Eloi.  These engaged us and shot down Richardson and Mason.  They then departed E. Landed at Savy 07:25

Combat report. Sgt Didsworthy 13 Squadron RFC  7th June 1916

B-Flight to bomb enemy front lines between Courcellette and Poziers.

Took off from Savy 14:46.  Arrived over target area 15:10, dropping bombs to no discernible effect. Attacked immediately after this by 2 EA monoplanes.  Rowena and Mayall driven away from group by one EA. Other attacked me.

Lost ability to maintain altitude, landed in a field near Poziers.

Wednesday 7th June 1916

Today I saw battle, diary.  Today I saw death at the height of his terrible power.

I flew two missions today. Both were bombing runs.  The first was to attack the rail marshalling yards at Athies.  We climbed and flew over the lines.  I saw clouds of earth mushrooming as a barrage struck the war torn ground.  My bombs fell well at the target and I believe we caused some disruption to the supplies for the German attack on Vimy Ridge.

On the way back we passed over the ruins of Arras.  Oh, what a mess!

Worse was to come.  On the way home we were attacked by two monoplanes - Fokker Eindeckers, I'm told.  They killed Richardson and his observer Mason.  I tried to organise a defensive circle but this was completely ineffective.

On returning to Savy, we learned that Cotton and Ward had been shot down too.

No rest though!  The offensive to the south required that we bomb the enemy positions to the north of the offensive proper.  We dropped our ordinance but I doubt we hit anything that wasn't already shot to blazes.  We were caught off guard by two more Fokkers.  One took an especial liking to me and put some holes in my tailplane.  A lot of holes.  Soon I was forced to land on our side of the lines.  Rowena and Mayall weren't so lucky.

My first day in the war and we have lost 3 machines and 6 men.

Father; should this be sent to you, understand that I chose to join the fyling corps.  I am here to do my duty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday 10th June 1916

Once again we were sent to Courcellette. Once again I was forced to land by enemy action.

This time, I have been wounded by a bullet to the leg.

It didn't hurt at first, but the blow felt like I had been hit hard by the schoolmaster's cane.  I dove for the west and we were able to escape, but soon the pain arrived.  It felt as though I had a hot poker boring into my flesh.  I couldn't gain altitude (again) and so had to go down and land.

This was just behind the lines and soon I felt hands grabbing me and pulling me out.  Oddly, I became aware of the shouting of the soldiers only after they had their hands on me.

Belden had been hit as well and we were taken to a clearing station.  It was busy as you might expect on the edge of a major assault.  I saw some things that I would not like to recount.

I had lost a lot of blood, but thankfully still had enough in me to be dressed and sent back up the line to Beaumont for less urgent assessment.  In truth, the jolting of the tender on that road hurt more than the bullet strike.

That was two days ago.  In the air, everything moves so fast.  On the ground, the war moves terribly slowly.

I am now back at Savy under the observation of our own MO.  Fresh Bandages every day and plenty of tea! I do keep asking for a pretty nurse, but the MO tells me they are for officers only.

Must ask Belden about that.

Edited by Maeran

Hitting  "k" works for inflight....

I LOVE the Strutter at this time of the War.

Know how to push the Envelope, and take her Home.

Go out bathing and then invite your loved one to a restaurant terrace and have a pizza!

Olham,

Is that a GFY

or Honest "Well Done"

Strutters RULE the SKIES at this time.

My favorite tactic, when outnumbered and much distance to the ground.

Self induced flatspin...

...then I revrse clock spin and attack head on.

For screen captures I use 'Cropper Capture' which is free software.  Belive me that I have tried all sorts of free capture software and this is the best.  I use it here to take screen shots of my Excel spread sheet with all the results and points and send that to Olham who does the graphics bit in Corel Draw. 

Olham,

Is that a GFY

or Honest "Well Done"

What is a "GFY" ???

The tip was meant because you had free time at hand/couldn't fly.

"Screen captures" should easily work with the "Print" key (top row of keyboard).

You make one, open a program like Photoshop or PAINT, make "new file" and insert the capture (Ctrl. + V).

Edited by Olham

I apologize, Olham

I was into the homemade drink and food.

I misunderstood what was typed

and I sometimes feel foolish for not being tech savy

and I still can't capture a screenie of my pilot log

My apologizes

MudWasp, we've all misunderstood posts from time to time, it is one of the pitfalls of forum communications.  To your issue, you say it doesn't work for you to hit your "Print Screen" key and then exit the sim and paste the screen capture into your image editor program?  Odd. That is how I've always done it.

On an unrelated note, I had some time to work on the DID campaign medals, (due to rain and no flying at the virtual front).  Let me know what you folks think of these so far.

WOFF_DID_Medals.jpg

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, I said it in the other forum, and I say it here again: they are just wonderful pieces of art work!

And here, where I see them larger than at SimHQ. I even realise: you have "printed" the "OFF" emblem

into the silk cushioning for the medal case lid. Brilliant work!

I think all DiD Campaign flyers who receive one, should place it with their signature!

After much mucking about I have found a way to stop the 'reasons for death' being asked for every pilot whether dead or not. There is a fault in the software that I have reported but I have managed to find a cludge that gets around the problem.

So, if your pilot is reported as 'dead' you will see an extra screen which asks the reason. The reasons I have put there are as follows:
Shot down by aircraft
Shot down by ground fire
Collided with enemy
Collided with wingman
Engine failure or fire
Structural failure
Crashed on landing
Hit Titanium Fence
I can't think of any others at the moment, but if you do, let me know.

Olham, The screen capture method works. I hadn't used "Paint" for that procedure in some time and was not doing what was needed to be done, although i thought I was.

I'm very sorry for posting a terse comment. I broke my own rule about internet forums and alcohol consumption.

Lou, those medals are like rare gems!

(Copy from the other forum)

Eleven victories in two sorties were reported - however grand that may have been, MudWasp - it makes me think about additional rules.

What I wanted to create, is a campaign which is all about realistic flying and realistic fighting or withdrawal,
and 11 victories in 2 sorties are not ANYwhere near that. Not your fault, MudWasp.
I'm not sure, what the max. victories were in a single sortie in WW1 - someone with better knowledge may come in here -
but I know that even a "doublette" (two victories in one sortie) was rather rare, even among the aces.

If we would leave this as it is now, the hunting for dozens of victories would start again,
and I am not willing to have this in the DiD Campaign.
We all know that WOFF sometimes allows that to happen, and of course it is not a player's fault if it does.
He may even have a fierce fight, where it's "me or them" - where he must shoot it out, cause they don't let him get away.
But we must find a way then, to get to more realistic numbers.

What I am thinking about is this - we could count per sortie:

1 - 3 victories = 1 victory
4 - 6 victories = 2 victories

and more than 6 victories count as 3 victories - more won't be accepted.

What do you others think about this proposal?

Rules for the counting of "Victories", and latest chart added in post #1.

For screen captures I use 'Cropper Capture' which is free software.  Belive me that I have tried all sorts of free capture software and this is the best.  I use it here to take screen shots of my Excel spread sheet with all the results and points and send that to Olham who does the graphics bit in Corel Draw. 

Greenshot is another good screen capturing freebie.

http://filehippo.com/download_greenshot/download/59703f5aa5a74063ca512bf7e50762bc/

Greenshot takes only pictures of UI in WOFF, in flight you get a black screen.

I use Greenshot for all UI pics and the "K" key in flight.

I've always had trouble with screenshots.  Where do the files appear if you use 'K'?

inflight "k" shots show up in my documents...

OBDWWI Over Flanders Fields

for a log book screenie, hit "print Screen" key on key board, go to "paint" ...

Click "Paste" and it will show up.

It had been a long time since I clicked  "Paste"....

Hadn't used it to capture an image in quite some time. Only for converting format very seldomly.

As Jim_Attrill already said in the other thread today we seem to have finest FLYING WEATHER AGAIN.

Be careful, everyone, you may have got a bit rusty!

All the best, and come back in one piece!

Dids3_zps442c4142.jpg

Edited by Maeran

TO ALL DiD CAMPAIGN FLYERS

Achtung! Tenshion, please!

Gentlemen, in the poll about the awards and medals, a majority of 9 to 4 voted for
- the more differenciated and more realistic awards system; and for
- the more realistic numbers, resulting from the special way of counting victories

Now I am very happy and very proud, that I received a confirmation from our forum veteran RAF_Louvert,
that he will do the medals and awards valuation, according to charts he had first published back in 2011,
and which were aiming for a more realistic awarding system.
I think you all will agree, that we now know the awards in the best possible hands!
Thanks a lot, Lou!

Chart updated - see post #1.

Chart updated - see post #1.