I'm running a 2.26 gigahertz processor with 768 megs of RAM. My graphics card is a GeForce FX5600 with 256 megs of RAM of its own. Not exactly needy in the performance range here.

So why is it that any mission in Wings Over Vietnam slows to the point of "screw this, I'm gonna play something else?" Am I the only one with this problem?

Howdy;

Some points of interest you might consider but aren't really what you're asking. I don't have anything compatible to help give you an idea of an acceptable playability level (bench mark) for your machine but ...

System Resources - Check your task manager to see what's loaded and running in the background before starting your game. You might want to consider stopping some of the services on your machine depending of course on what's loaded. Everyone manages their environment differently so going into detail probably won't help. If it were me I'd want to know what services are running, why they are running, and why I haven't shut them off. :rofl:

Memory - I was told that matched sticks of memory are always the way to go when more than one memory stick is in use. So matched pairs like two 512 sticks or two 1 gig sticks both with the same speed 5ns etc are optimal. I only mention this because 784 in any configuration I'm aware of is unmatched. Love to hear any views on this if anyone has any.

Front Side Bus - I'd say the most limiting factor of your machine is the FSB. In your next upgrade or purchase spend the extra cash if able for an 800 or Gig FSB. Again I'll say I've never played WOV on a machine like yours that I can tell you if this is the problem. I only make mention of the FSB as it's the bottleneck in most configurations where demand is high.

AGP Apature Size - I'd check your system bios to make sure your machine is set for the 256 AGP Apature Size, or matched to your card (ie 128 to 128 etc) Settings that don't match here can really slow your machine to a crawl. If you're in doubt of your card's size, check the Manufacturer's Site for details.

**Note: All information above is to be considered helpful advice. There are many members of the community more qualified to help than myself I'm sure, hopefully they'll chime in and correct my errors or thinking as necessary.

**Subliminal Message** B*U*Y**A*L*I*E*N*W*A*R*E **

Take care;

Erik

Hi McNally,

Erik has some very good advice,,(some of which i should look at myself),, :biggrin:

Go to this site & d/l this nifty little app called Game XP...get the FREE one...it's easy to use,.....it optimizes your puter for gameing with one click... http://www.theorica.tk/

Edited by dfang

Also, set the Enemy Aircraft level to Low or Normal, the skies of Vietnam weren't exactly crawling with Migs most of the time and set the Enemy Air Defenses to Normal.

The general consensus even among the guys that really flew there is that the game goes overboard.

The main reason for the slow downs are the large number of planes and lots of air defense that the system has to track and keep up with.

Turning these down really won't detract all that much from the experience and it'll speed the game up a good bit.

WOLF

I'm running a 2.26 gigahertz processor with 768 megs of RAM.  My graphics card is a GeForce FX5600 with 256 megs of RAM of its own.  Not exactly needy in the performance range here.

If that's an Intel 2.26GHz (P4 or particularly Celeron) then it's not really that fast these days esp. if it's running 533fsb (133 x4). What CPU & mobo are they?

Similarly the FX5600 is no powerhouse & I suspect that it may be the bottleneck rather than the cpu/mobo.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/2..._charts-09.html