Sign in to follow this  
TeaAndScones

What is a 'Turn And Burn'?

I've heard this so many times, but have no idea what it actually is.  For example, I've heard it as:

- An ACM where the attacker performs a series of high g 'turns' to 'burn' off energy to prevent an overshoot.

- A situation where an aircraft has fired off the last of its ordnance and then disengages the target, (turns), and egresses at high speed.  (Burn.)

Any help here would be thanked, cheers. :)

Turn & Burn (known as Angles) fighting is a tactic in which a fighter tries to gain a position advantage on his enemy by out-turning him. Energy is always an important consideration in any fight but the T&B fighter relies more on his ability to turn than he does on his energy. A Boom & Zoom (or Energy) fighter on the other hand is constantly building an energy advantage (zoom) and then converting that energy to a snapshot (boom) opportunity.

Ah, I see.  That cleared that up.  I suppose it's also a bit less relevant today, as aircraft have gotten heavier, the light wing loading needed for T&B maneuver would prohibit it.

Ehem.. If I may put my two cents in.  It will still be relevant as in a dogfight there is a likelihood of one being the Turn and burn while the other is less maneuverable and hopefully faster, thus energy fighter.  The F-15 vs  Mig-29 will most certainly be a good example.  F-15 vs say an Mig-25.  F-15 is Turn and Burn.  F-15 vs Mig-29, better use energy tactics. 

F-104 vs Mig-17....  Its an energy fighter.  The Mig will be the T&B here. 

That is my two cents

Maico