I think if ED had been churning out planes regularly people wouldn't have cared so much if they did outside stuff, but the long delays on Nevada, EDGE, and any new modern jet since the A-10C I think have people overly anxious. So anything else coming out is pointed to as "time that could've been better spent on X" regardless of whether that's actually true or not.

So the P-51 is a big "why did you spend time on it when you really need to spend even MORE time to get more planes, ground units, and terrain done to make it worthwhile!!!!" when the DCS crowd has really been more about late 20th century aircraft and not WWII.

In other words, your "average" DCS customer is probably more interested in the MiG-21 than a FW190, and more interested in a Hornet than even a 21 (although there are undoubtedly many like me who like it if it flies and shoots stuff. :wink: ), so they get really annoyed at the idea that ED is spending time doing WWII birds that delay that Hornet.

Here is my thought.  It took ED 3 to 5 years to develop the A-10C.  You have people arguing that is the same timeline that ED i workign towrds with the F/A-18C but here is the different.  What did ED release/work on when developing the A-10C.....

Nothing that I recall.

So while the A-10C took 3 to 5 years to develop with no other known distractions, the F/A-18C is being "developed" but with...

*The move to DCS World

*Blackshark 2

*Combined Arms (original and 1.5 release)

*P-51

*FC3

**A-10A upgraded to AFM

*Individual releases for each FC3 ACFT

**F-15C & Su-25 AFM

*Nevada aka EDGE

*DCS WWII (what 5 or 6 different airframes)

So, I would put at least a 2 to 3 year "curve" on the F/A-18C so maybe the 18 will take 6 to 7 years to develop.  I hope I'm wrong, I hope ED is working on a 16 or 18 that we really don't know about but I don't think that is the case.  They may be working on the 18 but I dont' think that is the top priority. 

Edited by paulrkiii

I think ED is not doing the proper steps. Some guys will buy anything If is high fidelity, but can't you imagine the sales of a moden multirole fighter like the F-16, the F-15E, the F/A-18 or something like that? And what about choppers? Hind, Apaches, Blackhawks, Cobras... Add then a interesting war theater and voila!

I think ED is not doing the proper steps. Some guys will buy anything If is high fidelity, but can't you imagine the sales of a moden multirole fighter like the F-16, the F-15E, the F/A-18 or something like that? And what about choppers? Hind, Apaches, Blackhawks, Cobras... Add then a interesting war theater and voila!

I only buy things that I will use, I'm not going to waste my money on something that I will ot fly or fly a few times. Some people have more time then me and like you said they will buy everything that gets put out. I have a friend like this, but he doesn't work (disability) and has no kids....things like that makes a HUGE difference.

• Like 2

Well one thing is for sure, I can't wait to fly that F-86 vs Mig-15's. Might even breakout my paint brushes.

• Like 1

Im with you. That F-86 sounds pretty cool to me.