Sign in to follow this  
Marlatt

I made it to the Smithsonian!

I got a call yesterday morning about an aircraft that I did the nose art on several months ago. This aircraft is a 1933 Vega, made by Lockheed. It is the only one flying at this time and is one of 3 in Existence. It turns out that the one I painted is getting international attention and is at this time the most publicized AC in the world. I was told that it is in almost every aviation magazine world wide this month. The owner, John Magoffin is loaning it to a museum here in Arizona for a time and after it's used for promotional shoots and some other stuff, it will be put on display at the Smithsonian Institute early next year.  What strikes me funny about this is that I did one other AC for John, via the guy who does his restorations for him (Rick Barter), and it was an impressive nude on the side of his B-17 that flies out of Gilbert AZ. The Vega just has a black panther on the side. So all of these people are looking at my work but its no where near as detailed or elaborate as many of my other AC murals.

This is pretty standard of Rick Barter's work. The guy is a talented person and already had 2 of his restored AC on display at  the Smithsonian. Because of him I have flown in some pretty impressive planes over the years. How many people can say they've flown in Eisenhower's  personal DC3? Or Cary Grant's DC3? 

Sadly......of my many accomplishment in my life that most people would think  bring fame and fortune, or even ultimate cool status......I will get little recognition for the work and have already been paid my usual $600 fee. So it really amounts to that old saying......."That and $2 will get ya a cup of coffee over at Denny's". Oh well.....my mom says that it's just another feather in my cap. I don't wear a hat.........................................

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/warbird-collections/commemorative-air-force-news/1933-lockheed-vega-display-caf-airbase-arizona.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPPRgXF17M

post-87723-0-82058700-1402354436.jpg

• Like 1

That's killer, congrats! Even though it don't pay, it's still bragging rights, right? My niece has a summer internship there this year.

Don't care what anybody says, It's DAMN cool!!

Congratulations - cant take away from the impressive work.