Sign in to follow this  
1977Frenchie

Targets in anti-ship missions

Is there a way to select which ship we may get as target in the campaigns? Found annoying to have Sampan or VC ship as target in the desert campaigns...

Campaigns or missions? For anti-shipping missions, I save the mission then edit the resulting mission file replacing the enemy unit with a more formidable ship type. For example some of the versions may spawn a couple of ocean liners as targets. I save the mission, then edit mission data by changing "GroundObjectType" from ocean liner to Kashin DDG. Just makes sure the ship type you enter is in your Ground Objects folder and consistent with time frame. For campaigns I suspect you could change naval unit types shown in the campaign data file.

Edited by Sheriff

I'm in the campaigns side of the game. I would sure appreciate a lot more of challenge on this kind of missions in the campaigns then a VC small boat firing at me with light AA :)

Any input on where to modify the campaign.ini would be appreciated (if it is where i have to go).

If you're encountering Vietnamese Sampans in the desert terrain, then they're not properly configured to take advantage of the "limited nations" statement.  They should have a userlist.ini which (as the name implies) lists the user nations a given object can be assigned to,  This works in conjunction with the limited nations statement, preventing Israeli Phantoms from showing up in Vietnam, or Vietnamese sampans from showing up in the North Atlantic.

I looked to the VC sampan folder and see no file such as USERLIST...

But on the DATA.ini file there is this line : Exported=TRUE

So, if i remove this line i should not see this ''cargo ship'' other then in the vietnam terrain right?

the 3 sampans from VNSEA shouldn't even show up as "cargo ships", as they're TERRAIN objects, not GROUND objects. Unless someone has converted them to usable GOs. Which is an utter waste of time.  If that's the case, you need MORE vessels classed with the GroundObjectRole=Cargo_Ship.

look in you /Objects/GroundObject folder and see if the sampans have their own folders. If so, rename the folders to remove them.

And go searching for more proper merchantmen. There's quite a few available.

AFAIK, the campaign, like single missions, will randomly choose those vessels tagged as "Cargo_Ship" from the /GroundObject folder

Folks:

The game isn't so good at "randomly" choosing cargo ships from the GroundObject folder for Anti_Ship missions. Depending on the SF2 title and patch level, the game tends to choose the first ship it encounters alphabetically in the GroundObject folder.

Some patch levels have seemed to "fix" ths bug, but it only returned in later patch levels. Also, some titles (SF2E, for instance) seem to be better at randomizing selection than other titles (SF2V, for instance).

Eric Howes

Got it folks :)

Had a look at every Sampan Folders i have (6 in all) and country was ''GENERIC'' and changed in for ''NVietnam''. Started a campaign, first mission is anti-ship, flew out to have a look and the damn Sampan is still afloat :(

Second look to the DATA.ini and see that these are set to be exported...  Removed the 3 lines associated with the export thing, saved, and went back to the anti-ship mission. Surprise, now i have soviet freighter for target.

I'm happy with what i have (freighter more a challenge to sink then a Sampan) but it's just sad that i can't get to attack a military ship in campaign (or there is something to change somewhere that i don't know).

Anyway, thanks for the help!