Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Need some help with campaign/ground war

I'm working on adding a ground war to Do335's campaign for the KAW mod.  I've created new strategic nodes and placed ground units, which are mapped out as follows:

vCabVWW.jpg

The campaign starts with enemy units attacking Seoul, Hwachon, and Kosong.  If the enemy captures either Hwachon or Kosong, the debriefing states that the enemy has achieved their strategic objective and the campaign is finished, even though the friendly base area is defined as Pusan.  I think in one case, the enemy offensive into Hwachon was pushed back, but I still go the message that the enemy had achieved their objective and the campaign is finished.  I believe once they captured Seoul, but I did not get the message that the campaign was finished, but I can't remember for sure.  I've even deleted the node that connects Kangun to Yongchon, in case it was too much of a straight shot to Pusan, but it made no difference.

I'm banging my head against the wall at this point trying to figure out why I'm getting the message that the enemy has achieved their objective, even though they haven't gotten anywhere near Pusan.  Does anyone have an ideas?

Attached are my campaign files, which have to be installed on top of Do335's original files.

http://combatace.com/topic/76391-campaign-for-kaw/

Korean War.zip

Any help is appreciated.  I need it!

Thanks!

Well, I scaled back the nodes so there is just one path from base to base, and the ground war seems to work.  But every time I've tried to expand some additional routes/nodes over to the east side of the penninsula, the campaign ends in defeat after the first mission.

I'm have no idea what's causing it and I'm out of time, so I'm going to sit on the simplified ground war for a little bit and then I'll post it for testing.

Edited by malibu43

please somebody help him! :help: ...i love kaw! 

I know nothing about how campaigns work, but it seems the path the Communists have to follow down the east coast is your problem.  If I remember correctly, it was very hard for either side to mount operations in the eastern part of the country, because of the mountainous nature of the terrain.  The coastal stretch from Kangung to Pusan was very easy for the US Navy to dominate.  I think a more logical route would have been down the river valleys in the center of the country.  Remember, when we flanked them at Inchon, we chose the west coast, because it was easier to operate in that region, from a ground war standpoint.  It may not be 100% historically correct, but I would eliminate the straight shot over the mountains route on the east coast.  That route may be what's killing your campaign.  

Ps  A quick perusal of maps of the North Korean attack in 1950 show that there was a thrust down the east coast, but it followed the coastline all the way, and it wasn't the main thrust of their attack.  Not knowing anything about the campaigns, I think you need to make that east coast path follow the coast exactly.  Can you add nodes to it?  To make it follow the coast?  Ala this map:

post-11855-0-59535900-1403109805_thumb.jpg

You can clearly see from the paths of the arrows that most effort was concentrated in the center and along the west coast.

Sorry, I was posting this as you were answering.  Duh....

Edited by Heck

I tried something similar to what you described, Heck, with a path leading down the west side and then one more down the center, but still had the problem of the campaign ending prematurely.  I don't know if it was related to a specific node I was using, the nature of the parallel nodes, the ground units/speeds, supply levels, etc...  It takes A LOT of time to try different iterations since the nodes have to be rebuilt in the .ini files, and it takes a lot of time to make sure they are all connected the way you want them to be before you even test them out.

I have the nodes set up like this right now, it the campaign seems to work:

MWINLd4.png

It's not 100% historically accurate, but, because of the way the game engine works, the campaign probably would never play out accurately even with 100% ideal nodes set up.  I will post this to let people test it sometime in the next week or so (after I've played with it a little more).  Ideally we'll dial in the mission rates and supply levels so that the two sides battle back forth a little around the middle of the map, but neither side really ever runs the whole thing.

Worst case, we could have one version of the campaign called "Korea (Historical)" or something like that with the ground war disabled so people can play a campaign that runs the historically accurate time with a static frontline where no one "wins".  Then we could have a second version called "Korea (Fictional)" where the entire peninsula can be won or lost with lots of ground battles and front line movement.

• Like 1

Malibu, be advised the "Guest7" that responded to you post on the 3W forums was Rhuzio. Just ignore him

Malibu, be advised the "Guest7" that responded to you post on the 3W forums was Rhuzio. Just ignore him

I figured something was up given the tone of his replies and the use of a guest forum name.