Hello guys

During the past days I've been reworking the very old EAW terrain for SFP1 up to (more or less) the SF2 Standard, Between the things I've done, we can find:

1) Working season engine so that when it is winter there is snow

2) New Bases such as:

Base aérienne 102 Dijon-Longvic
Base aérienne 105 Évreux-Fauville
Base aérienne 110 Creil
Base aérienne 113 Saint-Dizier-Robinson
Base aérienne 116 Luxeuil-Saint Sauveur
Base aérienne 133 Nancy-Ochey
Base aérienne 279 Châteaudun
Base aérienne 103 Cambrai-Épinoy
Base aérienne 124 Strasbourg-Entzheim
Base aérienne 132 Colmar-Meyenheim
Base aérienne 112 Reims-Champagne
BAN Landivisiau
RNAS Yeovilton
Chièvres Air Base
Kleine Brogel Air Base
Florennes Air Base
Base aérienne 136 Toul-Rosières
Leeuwarden Air Base
Volkel Air Base
RAF Brize Norton
Treviso-Istrana Air Base
Ghedi Air Base

And I've started a new campaign with units taken from Nato fighters 5 , and I've speciallt reworked the french air units, so that all the fighter units of both Armée de l'air and Aéronautique navale expect the Mirage IV and Etendard IV units of that time are included. And not only this, you will also find more surprises.....

14421873985_a76fb8b2df_b.jpg

14418521881_d2b695c547_b.jpg

14418521021_1e76a17926_b.jpg

14442055173_d174064473_b.jpg

14420740074_a4064e9952_b.jpg

14420581432_c8e4494f1b_b.jpg

14235423367_353bfe40c2_b.jpg

14421874375_b0413ff986_b.jpg

It is a very very complex campaign... with almost 200 air units.... So any advice etc will be apreciated.

Cheers
Edited by FRPignon
  • Like 2

you mean like this...

[Terrain]
TerrainFullName=EAW Euro (4 Seasons)
DataFile=EAWEuro_data.INI
TargetFile=EAWEuro_targets.ini
TargetTypeFile=EAWEuro_types.ini
NationsFile=EAWEuro_nations.ini
BriefingText=EAWEuro_briefing.ini
MovementFile=EAWEuro_movement.INI
DogfightFile=EAWEuro_dogfight.INI
//EnvironmentFile=EAWEuroEnviroSys.ini
DogfightOnly=FALSE
//CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.CAT
CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.CAT
//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.CAT
Latitude=50.0
Longitude=0.0

[Map]
FilenameFormat=PlanningMap%d.bmp
Width=1500000.0
Height=1500000.0
NumZoomLevels=3

[WeatherChance]
ScatteredChance=25
BrokenChance=25
OvercastChance=17
InclementChance=8

[season001]
Directory=Spring
StartDate=04/01
EndDate=06/30
ScatteredChance=0
BrokenChance=40
OvercastChance=50
InclementChance=10

[season002]
Directory=Autumn
StartDate=07/01
EndDate=10/31
ScatteredChance=40
BrokenChance=25
OvercastChance=17
InclementChance=8

[season003]
Directory=WinterHard
StartDate=11/01
EndDate=01/31
ScatteredChance=25
BrokenChance=40
OvercastChance=17
InclementChance=8

[season004]
Directory=WinterThaw
StartDate=02/01
EndDate=03/31
ScatteredChance=0
BrokenChance=40
OvercastChance=50
InclementChance=10

that was done in 2008!!!

That terrain is a NIGHTMARE to work with. If anybody knows, it's me, having rebuilt fairly recently (as I mentioned in the other thread). I hope you're rebuilding the citys and movements inis too. They are DIRE need of a complete overhaul. And real "port tiles" need adding too.

I've a whole TE archived, as I never throw anything away, that has all the new tiles I added for the WW2 version.

It's your's if you can use it!

Edited by Wrench

you mean like this...

that was done in 2008!!!

That terrain is a NIGHTMARE to work with. If anybody knows, it's me, having rebuilt fairly recently (as I mentioned in the other thread). I hope you're rebuilding the citys and movements inis too. They are DIRE need of a complete overhaul. And real "port tiles" need adding too.

I've a whole TE archived, as I never throw anything away, that has all the new tiles I added for the WW2 version.

It's your's if you can use it!

Yes, just like this well yes, I must admit that It is not an easy terrain to work with but more or less it works fine for me and I did not have huge troubles with it, with no errors and no extrange thigs the only things are the old tiles...

Well, it's a very ambitious project, I like it. The main problem is the terrain, though. It needs new specific tiles and targetization, as Wrench stated.

Have you ever considered doing a campaign for the wonderful Battle of Britain terrain by Gepard? Stary also retiled it and it looks better than ever. Here are the links:

http://combatace.com/files/file/10371-battle-of-britain-terrain-for-the-60th-and-70th/

http://combatace.com/files/file/13976-battle-of-britain-terrain-visual-update-preview/

It would be cool to create a what if campaign, something like France vs UK (ok, this is stupid) or France and the UK in a joint operation against a Soviet naval asset trying to cross the channel (ok, the reds weren't so stupid).

Just an idea, but keep up with the good work.

find any of the missing tiles yet? It's either hard winter or winter thaw, you'll see black squares along the coastline.

You're taking on a project that even I would hesitate to do; every single sea and sea-land transition tile needs to be rebuilt. Meaning: all the alpha channels on every single tile (times 4) need replacing. That includes rivers, lakes and the sea-rivermouth tiles. To say nothing of those "mini" tiles at 128x128 that may be able to be resized (or not without losing resolution). New TODs will be needed, those existing will need to be tested to make sure the TOD buildings have skins (many only show as black boxes).

You'll also run into problems along the eastern edge -- The Wall is very present, and will create some very odd situations. (meaning: nothing in Italy).

Well, anyway, good luck with it!

find any of the missing tiles yet? It's either hard winter or winter thaw, you'll see black squares along the coastline.

You're taking on a project that even I would hesitate to do; every single sea and sea-land transition tile needs to be rebuilt. Meaning: all the alpha channels on every single tile (times 4) need replacing. That includes rivers, lakes and the sea-rivermouth tiles. To say nothing of those "mini" tiles at 128x128 that may be able to be resized (or not without losing resolution). New TODs will be needed, those existing will need to be tested to make sure the TOD buildings have skins (many only show as black boxes).

You'll also run into problems along the eastern edge -- The Wall is very present, and will create some very odd situations. (meaning: nothing in Italy).

Well, anyway, good luck with it!

No problems by now with the winter season:

14399300236_77a740a669_b.jpg

But at summe...... yes I have problems with the alfa chanels... but I'm working on it.

I've added new target areas specially in France and Belgium, Reims, Metz, Lille , and many others. I'mr¡ working slowly but I'm with it.

• Like 2

some aircraft notes... SHAR, Vipers were just entering service in 79. The F-4J(UK) came about in 83 to offset deployments of FGR2 to the Falklands. If a good mix of old and new is your goal, go for 83 instead. The Russians were very nervous about the US that year and many chances for things to go wrong esp around the time of Able Archer. At that point, several F104 units still in play, one sqn of Huns in Denmark I believe, Vipers online in NATO and at Hahn, but still many Phantoms left flying. Even had C model Eagles at Bitburg, and As at Soesterburg

some aircraft notes... SHAR, Vipers were just entering service in 79. The F-4J(UK) came about in 83 to offset deployments of FGR2 to the Falklands. If a good mix of old and new is your goal, go for 83 instead. The Russians were very nervous about the US that year and many chances for things to go wrong esp around the time of Able Archer. At that point, several F104 units still in play, one sqn of Huns in Denmark I believe, Vipers online in NATO and at Hahn, but still many Phantoms left flying. Even had C model Eagles at Bitburg, and As at Soesterburg

The last pic may be confusing....... It is not a pic of the campaign it is just a pic of testing the terrain taken in 1985. By the way Belgium first F-16 squadron was operational on 29 January 1979, so the pic is correct, however by that time the backbone of the Belgian air force were Still the MIrages 5BA and BR also included there :)

Well after some hard work here I present you the final appearance of the terrain, It will only have 1 season and if you run the game with unlimited settings the result is just wondefull....

14424201311_8bf56e0b91_b.jpg

14240902359_ca20503481_b.jpg

14404426616_9f9c26af0f_b.jpg

14426427024_bee5576d6b_b.jpg

Now I'm going to work with the targets and objects

Paris...........................

14447883033_749c4c2440_b.jpg

Edited by FRPignon
  • Like 2

Great job, FRPignon. Are these new tiles that you made or are they available here at CombatAce? BTW, I suggest you to add new .TOD files, so you can have some buildings to populate those grey city tiles.

stock BN series tiles from 2003

Seriously, you need REAL port tiles. Just sticking ships alongside the shoreline don't cut it. Not with the level of detail our End Users ™ have come to expect

Perhaps it might be far easier to 'modernize' the existing WW2 terrain; as 99.9% of the work has already been done

stock BN series tiles from 2003

Seriously, you need REAL port tiles. Just sticking ships alongside the shoreline don't cut it. Not with the level of detail our End Users have come to expect

Perhaps it might be far easier to 'modernize' the existing WW2 terrain; as 99.9% of the work has already been done

It is the .HDF file the same? Because if it is the same it is just a matter of .ini editing .

BTW I don't get what you mean with End Users ™ 

Edited by FRPignon

End Users ™ are the People That Download Our Work.

The HFD would be (basically) the same. However, you'll probably be moving a LOT of the airfields, both in England and The Continent for the post-1940s world, adding new ones as necessary. And doing the necessary reflattening

The TFD is the one that holds all the tile placement data, and to some extent, the tod listings. Some of the 'airfield regions' -- that that have the specific airfield tiles will need removing or enlarging, depending what sized airfield is required. A lot along the Channel Coast are single tiles, for Runway 3s.

Rebuilding the targets ini to remove the WW2 items (except those that still exist to this day -- certain sub pens in France, for example) is a no brainer.

How many people can say that they made St. Nazairre  recognizable as itself?

End Users are the People That Download Our Work.

The HFD would be (basically) the same. However, you'll probably be moving a LOT of the airfields, both in England and The Continent for the post-1940s world, adding new ones as necessary. And doing the necessary reflattening

The TFD is the one that holds all the tile placement data, and to some extent, the tod listings. Some of the 'airfield regions' -- that that have the specific airfield tiles will need removing or enlarging, depending what sized airfield is required. A lot along the Channel Coast are single tiles, for Runway 3s.

Rebuilding the targets ini to remove the WW2 items (except those that still exist to this day -- certain sub pens in France, for example) is a no brainer.

How many people can say that they made St. Nazairre  recognizable as itself?

I'm with your terrain everything is fine however I have 2 issues , that issues are that in the middle of the Airfields I have trees and Buildings , from the "terobject.tga" , so how can I avoid this? Chaging the texture of the sorundings of the base? BTW: Do you have the texture list of this terrain?

Edited by FRPignon

Yes i'm rivet counting but.....

F-16: FB01 was delivered to 349 Sqn 16 Jan 79. However, IOC was not until a year later.

HMS Ark Royal: R09, not the recently retired R07. It was decommissioned Feb 79, but not scrapped until Sep 1980. Perhaps brought back from the grave, with the FG1s pulled back from 111 Sqn?

Ports are looking good tho!

Edited by daddyairplanes

Yes i'm rivet counting but.....

F-16: FB01 was delivered to 349 Sqn 16 Jan 79. However, IOC was not until a year later.

HMS Ark Royal: R09, not the recently retired R07. It was decommissioned Feb 79, but not scrapped until Sep 1980. Perhaps brought back from the grave, with the FG1s pulled back from 111 Sqn?

Ports are looking good tho!

The pictures of Portsmouth are not from the campaign , that's why you see a RN Phantom there..

Edited by FRPignon

you boats are in backwards.

NOBODY backs down INTO a slip. You backs down OUT of a slip; that's why tugs exist. They pull the ships out and way, then help it turn into "the stream" as they say. Hence, the need (and existence) for large turning basins in the harbor tiles.

if trees are showing up IN the airfield (and iirc, some might) you'll need to retile the airfield zone, if you've moved the airfields around. There should be 'airfield specials'.

this should be the texture list. Match the total number of tiles listed therein with the number listed in the data ini. IIRC, there's one NOT used, but cant remember which.

Also, don't forget the "rule of law" on my terrain work. I'd like to look it over before release, so as to 'give it my blessing' :biggrin:

you boats are in backwards.

NOBODY backs down INTO a slip. You backs down OUT of a slip; that's why tugs exist. They pull the ships out and way, then help it turn into "the stream" as they say. Hence, the need (and existence) for large turning basins in the harbor tiles.

if trees are showing up IN the airfield (and iirc, some might) you'll need to retile the airfield zone, if you've moved the airfields around. There should be 'airfield specials'.

this should be the texture list. Match the total number of tiles listed therein with the number listed in the data ini. IIRC, there's one NOT used, but cant remember which.

Also, don't forget the "rule of law" on my terrain work. I'd like to look it over before release, so as to 'give it my blessing' :biggrin:

Soooo for the boats just changing the angle and that should be everything, Right?