I have been trying to make some decals for the first time with no luck.  They won't display on the aircraft.  I'm using paintNet.  Are there any tutorials on how to do this with paintNet? 

I'm trying to make a squadron marking for the 336th(VF) fighter squadron.  I thought maybe taking a currant squadron marking SCode(QP), erase the QP and replace it by cutting and pasting the V and the F for the SCode would do it but it did not. 

Thank you.

Have you:

Made a unit for then in the squadronlist ini OR named you new decal to match the RL 336th in there (decal###)?

Editted the decal ini in the skin folder?

More advice and link on the tutorial for howto after this mornings docs appt.

I might suggest downloading a skin for the aircraft that you want to make for and see what they've done. Sometimes it isn't that you made the decal wrong, you just don't have the location mapped correctly. In situations like this, it's a bit of trial-and-error to move a decal into the correct location. What I wouldn't give for a 3D skin editor...

If it is a default aircraft and you are just wanting to add squadron-specific decals, what I would do is "borrow" a default decal for the aircraft and create your art over the top of it in a new layer, then deleting the original layer. Save it as the same name but with a number that matches the unit number given in the squadron list.ini.

I'd be more precise with these directions, but I am not currently home.

for 334th mustangs? done already for the B/C models. They're in the WW2 downloads section.

also did the 335th as well

http://combatace.com/files/file/13737-sf2-ww2-eto-p-51b-mustang-pak/

I think amraiani has the D/K covered, but it might be hidden in one of the HUGE Mustang skin paks

Edited by Wrench

Have you:

Made a unit for then in the squadronlist ini OR named you new decal to match the RL 336th in there (decal###)?

Editted the decal ini in the skin folder?

More advice and link on the tutorial for howto after this mornings docs appt.

I did rename the decal ini to 336.  I also made sure that the original squadron in the ini file was renamed to 336.

for 334th mustangs? done already for the B/C models. They're in the WW2 downloads section.

also did the 335th as well

http://combatace.com/files/file/13737-sf2-ww2-eto-p-51b-mustang-pak/

I think amraiani has the D/K covered, but it might be hidden in one of the HUGE Mustang skin paks

Hey Wrench.

I have both those for the P-51B.  I wanted to add the 336th to my mix.

So. I used the QP decal to make sure I have the decal in the right location. When I make the VF decal, it won't display unless I use the VF decal from the P-51D ETO pack. Now, when I recolor it from black to gray, it won't display. I do now have information I didn't last night thanks to you guys so I will give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Thanks again and stay tuned for more.

post-64268-0-80881100-1403035333_thumb.jpg

ok, that's easy.

give me a few hours; cause all you really need in the "VF" lettering. all other decals can be referenced from the existing one in that pack

ok here ya go.

very quick and dirty. it references the single letter and serials from the one of the other 2 skins, so you must have those (which you said you already do)

of course, the serials are NOT 336th birds*, but maybe at a later date I'll run them down. nor is there any nose art, including Gentle and Godfrey's checks

Just a plane jane skin with the VF code

but, this'll give you 4th FG fix

*but only a True Expert ™ would know that

Hey Guys. I'm trying to make a tga. file for decales. I'm trying now to make a QP squadron marking in black but still can't figure it out.

Have you seen my decal tutorial? It's for GIMP but is so easy!

ok...

lets do this the easy way...

obviously, this is for an NM skin, so lets assume (oh! that word!!) you've already created the skin, and have a separate decals fodler (alternatively, open the QP tga, and "save as..." QP-b" - b 'black')

can you access my original QP (ie: SCode.tga) decal, and have all the channels showing? Like in the screenie below???

just paint the RGB  channels, and do the "Save As..."

I gotta laugh, some of guys just overcomplicate this stuff waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much!!! :biggrin:

Edited by Wrench

its very easy to do in ps...

with this guide,if you have items in ur decals such as a 0   select inside area 1st holding down shift,when you select with wand,then select outer area,still holding shift to select all the backgound areas.you can of course make ay alterations to opacity of your decals,by using opacity slider 1st on layer dropdown on right,before creating the alpha layer.

post-1981-0-97776600-1403907028_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-20407100-1403907064_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Have you got paint.net 4.o ? ...when making decals ensure you have transparent layers for the text etc....when saving as tga,use default setting...works fine

post-1981-0-43496900-1403908371_thumb.jpg

post-1981-0-12757300-1403908378_thumb.jpg

still seems like more work than necessary, in making new ones, expecially when a large store of "stock" letters and numbers already exist.

below, the plane-in-grope letters and serials are the same ones from the OD/Grey P-51B, simply repainted on the RGB layer from yellow to black. The only new decal is the squadron code letters.

(yes, it'll be released some time soon, 382nd FS, 363rd FG)

I gotta laugh, some of guys just overcomplicate this stuff waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much!!! :biggrin:

just because i wanted many airlines for one skin..............................

as the ancient one has said tho, there is much gold for what you seek in the CA mines

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.