Hey guys,

Forgive me if the answer to this is obvious (the search function has proven vexing to me) but is there an A-4E and E (65) skin available for VMA-211?

Of course, there is one in game, but it doesn't have any of the squadron markings on it.

I have seen a screenshot of a very nice skin, but can't seem to find it in the files section.

Thanks for the help!

Deacon

Yes, that's the one I had loaded from before. I'm not sure if moving decals is beyond me or not though.

The only thing I've ever skinned...was my knee.

• Like 1

The "world center" positions on SF2 models has been move from their 1stGen older versions

it's acutally quite simple. It takes about 20 minutes to do, stopping for coffiee and cigs. Basically, they move aft. YOu do it in 0.25 increments, until they arrive where they're supposed to

Remember, all the decals must be in the /Decals/*nameofaircraft*/-skinname*/ folder

Thanks Wrench.

Is that in an aircraft config file? I literally haven't done anything with SF2 other than adding mods and I was a pretty novice modder in SF1.

I'd need to find a basic guide and go from there unless it's very obvious. Will need to search around.

Thanks,

Deacon

OK,

I think I'm onto the trail.

Found the SF1 to SF2 conversion thread.

So, I take it that the entire folder are the decals.

I found this line...

"Position=7.3,-0.40"

So I adjust one of these numbers until the textures look right?

How do I get the textures on both the A-4E and A-4E(65)? By just dropping the decals into BOTH aircraft folders?

Thanks Wrench!

unfortunately, you can't re used the skins from Paul's original skin. SF2 has each of the skin maps NAMED for aircraft they're used on, so new ones needed extraction

this is a quickie conversion; as you can see, the decals are forward anything from 0.50 to 0.75 meters

Some of the tgas will need parts painted out on the alpha channel.

let me have a few days, as my right eye "drops out" occasionally, and it's hard to work the comp with just the left (10 out of eye surgery, I've got some swelling issues)

edit:

I'm going to have to rebuild the entire decals ini, and make several new ones, along with repainting the originals. But as I've done it before, it's not too terribly diffucult

Edited by Wrench

Wow, man.  

I appreciate the offer, but don't worry about me, rest your MK-1s!

If you get around to it when you are a full up round again, I'd love to get my old squadron skin, but there could not be less of a hurry.

Hope you feel better hardcharger!

Deacon

a question...

did they carry the CVW or Squadron Codes (CF) on the wings, along with the modex?? If so, was it 'standard' on top and bottom, opposite the stars? And were the letters straight across or staggered, like on the tail?

Still dialing in the badge and 'vma-211' tag, as it's one decal

nearly there...

I don't believe that the codes were carried on the USMC birds.  This is actually one of the better sets of shots, though it's a little post Nam I believe and a model...

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/9389-mcdonnell-douglas-a-4m-skyhawk-hasegawa.html

Here's another that I think would be more properly in Chu Lai at some point...

SkyHooo_zpsad5b1a3a.jpg

Thanks Wrench, you're a man god!

Deacon

Here's another...no wing view though.

zotz_32053_d1_zps9d926f4e.jpg

looks iike I have to move the "wake island" badge a bit more forward. the damn airscoop on the fuselage side keep messing me up on the 'vma-211' tag. These are now separate, new decals. The only original decals left from Paul are the tail ones

otherwise, it 99.9% ready

I'll send you the package for final checking before I upload it here

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

Awesome Wrench! Thanks for your assistance.

Hopefully, other Scooter drivers will get some use from the skin. In doing a little research, 211 conducted four deployments to VN and was pretty much a permanent resident in Chu Lai.

Dec 1965 - Jul 1966 - - - - Chu Lai, South Vietnam

Oct 1966 - Sep1967 - - - - - - Chu Lai, South Vietnam

Dec 1967 - Feb1970 - - - - - - Chu Lai, South Vietnam

May 1972 - Jan 1973 - - - - Bien Hoa, South Vietnam

They were also one of the last American units in VN. I found this quote interesting...

"April 30th, 2012 marks the 37th anniversary of the fall of Saigon, and next month wll mark the 40th anniversary of the deployment of VMA-211 & 311 to Bien Hoa AB, 20 miles NW of Saigon...They were A-4 Skyhawk squadrons that had been deployed from MCAS Iwakuni on 17 May 1972, along with detachments from MAG-12 (Fwd) and H&MS-12 (Fwd)...These Marines flew hundreds of combat missions during both Operation Linebacker I & II, and they didn't re-deploy back to Iwakuni until 29 Jan 1973.

Because these Marines were not part of Task Force Delta, we didn't read or hear too much about them, but their contribution towards ending the conflict was no less important than any of us who served with TFD in Nam Phong,Thailand, and was problably even more stressful, as they were operating in the midst of battle in South Vietnam the whole time.

It was kind of unique how the Air Force got the Marine air crews combat certified with the region...All of our A-4 pilots had to first fly the right hand seat in the Cessna A-37 Dragonfly ("Mosquito Bombers") with a USAF pilot flying out of Bien Hoa...Once they were "snapped in" and certified by the Air Force, then our guys began flying combat missions in their own A-4 Skyhawks.

Except for the Marine security detachment at the US Embassy, the Marines from these MAG-12 squadrons were the last Marines to leave Vietnam.

...courtesy of Jim Mackin"

Edited by deacon211

Sorry, my earlier picture dropped out...

Both of these borrowed from the internet

imagejpg2_zpsce798ae5.jpg

And a better pic of the lion plunging on the side. Interestingly, for a pretty long period in the squadron's history, the lion started to look like a Chinese lion, and then eventually something of a dog. I was always told that was because the guys who made the patches and plaques in Iwakuni Japan and Okinawa had no clear idea what a lion looked like and kind of made up their own rendition. It was only later that the lion once again became...a lion.

imagejpg1_zps195b8061.jpg

Edited by deacon211

Just for giggles...211 over the years.

WWII through Korea...

imagejpg1_zpsebd7ca52.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsf4a2a137.jpg

VN - mid '70s...

imagejpg3_zps1a587238.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsd57d3955.jpg

Modern...

imagejpg1_zpsc216ac97.jpg

Oh, I found this from a decal sheet. In some VN shots, I've seen a pretty crudely stenciled insignia on the side of 211 birds. It looks a lot like this, though it's no where as pretty as the later "hero" paints

imagejpg2_zps2ec1dd95.jpg

Edited by deacon211

Great links!

That modeling link was where I got the decal from. Makes me want to build a model!

you know I've done the Wake Detachment F4F-3 Wildcats, too. And those that remained at Ewa in 1941

the release is delayed about a day, as I'm making all new fuselage number decals (the 4 digit BuNums)

I should have them done later today, and ready for your inspection.

Thanks Wrench,

You know, I don't think I have seen any Wildcats for SF2 outside of in all inclusive mods...I'm actually a fairly recent convert to SF2.  I just had too much loaded up into SF1 to make the switch for a long time!  

Deacon 

Ok!. I think this should be the final configuration of the various markings and stuff like that!! (meaning: I'm not making any more changes!! lol.gif.pagespeed.ce.juIU0bKaoa.gif

if these look good to you, then I'll finalize the package and upload it. Thanks for all the assistance! :biggrin:

Edited by Wrench

Hehe, message received.

That looks awesome.  Thanks for all your help!

In general, can I drop these skins into all the Skyhawk folders, like the modded A-4 (65), (67) etc?  I believe it's the same model, just with the hump or some ECM added.

Thanks again!

Deacon 

yes, indeed.

However, each of the skin maps have to be renamed to match the lod.

For instance, A-4E_65_nose.jpg, and so on

you can leave the decals ini alone, as it will automatically "look" in the right place. Some might need a little moving fore or aft, but that's relatively easy