Sign in to follow this  
wiegehts

::ATTENTION:: For anyone Wanting a better View system in SF

Hello everyone,..

I have for quite some time... (all the way back before IL2" was released), had a Certain way of Viewing PC Simulations.

Everyone complains about the view systems of most sims, how they are too slow, only allow for viewing at odd angles.. or the shortcommings of Pad Lock systems.

What I have created since then, and Use till this very day is a system of a TrackBall optical mouse attached to the Joystick in such a way as to allow for a "Free Smooth Panning Mode."

The ease and pleasure of being able to Simply rest your thumb on the ball and ever so slightly move your Point of View inside the cockpits of todays sims are awesome.

With this system you can add levels upon levels of immersion to todays great games.

Track IR has been the newest form of this.. allowing you to move your head from "side to side" allowing for the "Free Smooth Panning" as well.

The major drawback is that Track IR can Cost literally hundreds of $$$$.

Money of which, might as well be put towards a complete Virtual Reality headset.

What I have created, and of which, performs the same way as "Track IR", albiet with the motion of your thumb, costs... Literally 20$.

I have created this with an Optical Track Ball mouse, some Duct Tape, and a Wire Coat hanger. Sound Crude?... sure.. its not extremely Hightech, but you know what?... It WORKS... and Quite well... I might add.

I have tested this on differnet sticks.. but the saitek X-45/x-36 series work really well due to the style of the stick.

Take a Look.. Below and understand in full.

Begin with X45...add duct tape, a cloths hanger and a trackball mouse....WOW....

That'll put Track IR outta business...hehe

CHeers!

I STILL think that padlock is really the best. It acts in the same way as a pilot's head and eyes does.....follows target intuitively. You dont have to use your thumb on a hat or ball. PL leaves the pilot to concentrate on the importan stuff like flying the plane, angles, weapons etc...

I KNOW i'm going to get that full real rhetoric but a sim is not FULL real anyway. It simulated flight, so does PL, it simulates target aquisition..

Best thing abotu PL? It's free with every sim and still works the best!

Out :!:

So tell me though,... Whos in control of the view system when you are "locked" onto a target?

Not the individual using he pad lock. :wink:

With my system, you can (just as track IR) ever so slightly move your thumb(head) and cover the entire FOV within the cockpit. This of course allows you to track "any" target that "you" want to at "any" time.

With pad lock, you are somewhat on a "ride of its own" when you lock onto somthing. Your not really in control, and the way that the view stays "Fixated" on a single threat.... is surely a bad thing.

8)